Review Showdown 56

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think Port's doctors were able to remove Murray from Esava last night? Genuinely hung onto Sav so much all night you'd think he was superglued on. No free kicks though. Funny that.

Also seems to be approved to tackle JHF based on his intent to get the ball, not actual possession. But then that's gone on all year.

And smash JHF's face into the turf. No frees.

You get what you deserve. He is going to cop it at showdowns for years to come.

He'll piss off to Geelong in a couple of years and we will get the blame.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Even though Narkle was not that great tonight but he seems to do something right which helps us to be on top of the game .
Dude you are one of the strangest posters. I could swear every post is about Narkle. You a family member or something?

Alot of experts forget we are talking split second decision making.

Houston was running full pace to mark the ball. Obviously last millisecond he realises he isn’t making it I don’t understand at that speed how a player can be expected to make so many decisions.

Either the AFL needs to slow the game down to avoid this unintentionality or accept it will happen
There's a misconception here Rankine didn't mark the ball he collected it from a spoil. Hence why JHF was paid a too-high free moments later. Rankine was fair game the moment he grabbed it. If he'd marked the ball the outrage would've been 100 times worse than it already was.

Haha Rachele disabled comments on his latest post on Instagram last night and was copping it on other posts. Now comments are disabled on all of them.
Soft little bitch.
Hahahaha. Nothing more pathetic than a bloke who loves to dish it out but can't take it.

Probably enjoyed this one more than any other game in years. As soon as Rachele went the extremely early crow I was engaged. The houston bangdown and ensuing scuffle actually bought me alive.

Entire thing was so out of character for our little church mice.
I wish I was there for the unfolding of the arms.

Got to watch the replay finally.
Big Fog Dogs attempt at being the hard man was pretty funny.
Even The Love Boak was getting stuck into him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on their definition of intentional, but it was an intentional bump

I’ve explained what is required for it to be deemed intentional:

1. Behind play; or
2. Intended to commit reportable offence (i.e. offender intended to bump opponent high)

The Houston incident ticks neither of these boxes. The incident should be classified as careless but as we know, this league is illegitimate, compromised and corrupt.

Even The Love Boak was getting stuck into him.

Both at the ground on the replay, it was pleasing to see Boak and Rozee fired up last night. Made me think a bit of that sneering mongrel edge Hawthorn could almost always rely on Hodge and Mitchell to produce. Nothing dirty - just an unwillingness to take a backwards step in standing up for their teammates and themselves.

Why would it be graded intentional when it was not behind play like Rankine's bump? The only way it can be classified intentional is if Michael Christian is a biased flog and is leant on by other biased flogs like Laura Kane. Intentional gradings are reserved for incidents where the offender meant to commit the reportable offence, or where the offence was committed behind play. There is nothing in any footage to suggest Houston intended to get Rankine high, not was the contact made behind play, as Rankine was in possession of the ball. Any high contact, if there indeed was any, was incidental. This is a standard three-week suspension based on the matrix, don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise. Any penalty above three weeks is a biased disgrace and (another) indictment on the integrity of the league, and it baffles me why you or any other Port (or football) supporter would suggest otherwise.

Dermott Brereton just said “it probably wasn’t as bad as Jimmy Webster’s, who got one week too many by the way”.

Webster: charged Jy Simpkin, jumped off the deck, clearly hit him in the head with his shoulder, with the ball gone

Houston: a one-step shirtfront, inconclusive whether he actually impacted him high, Rankine had the ball in his hand

The fact these incidents are even being mentioned in the same breath really drives home just how much the AFL has let this issue get away from them, and how practically all the commentary on it is based on vibes and feelings and what people feel like they’re supposed to say.

Was Sam MacClure dropped on his head? He picked us to win the flag at the start of the year and now he has Sydney and Geelong in the grand final?

Or was this from a month or so ago?

Answer to Qn 1: Quite possibly.

Answer to Qn 3: Was from 3 days ago:

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 4.35.55 PM.png

Let's not examine why the game was lost. Or why they finished bottom 4. Or why they haven't made finals for 7 years. Instead let's all pile on how Houston is a monster, umpires are on the take, port supporters are feral, why Rachelle talks a good game then squibs a contest with 18yo Logan Evans.... I was happy as leaving AO yesterday. I'm absolutely delighted now. Fundamentally shite empty franchise. Rachelle is perfect for them.

Also, this exposes Koch's folly about being everyone's 2nd favourite team. Bask in the hate and jealousy and let it be us against the world. Served us just fine for decades.

Dermott Brereton just said “it probably wasn’t as bad as Jimmy Webster’s, who got one week too many by the way”.

Webster: charged Jy Simpkin, jumped off the deck, clearly hit him in the head with his shoulder, with the ball gone

Houston: a one-step shirtfront, inconclusive whether he actually impacted him high, Rankine had the ball in his hand

The fact these incidents are even being mentioned in the same breath really drives home just how much the AFL has let this issue get away from them, and how practically all the commentary on it is based on vibes and feelings and what people feel like they’re supposed to say.

Yep, I saw a few "worst bump ever" type posts, and I had to check that Webster on Simpkin wasn't just something I dreamed up. The same outrage merchants have gone from playing down everything as a "football collision" to baying for blood and demanding 6+ week suspensions. The narrative on bumps has changed dramatically in about 12 months.

Yep, I saw a few "worst bump ever" type posts, and I had to check that Webster on Simpkin wasn't just something I dreamed up. The same outrage merchants have gone from playing down everything as a "football collision" to baying for blood and demanding 6+ week suspensions. The narrative on bumps has changed dramatically in about 12 months.

While the AFL refuses to simply take the bump off the books due to “something something game’s cultural fabric” blabber, but keeps having to chase its tail regarding nature of impact, nature of injury, and other creative interpretations that are as predictable as the path of flavoured milk through a crazystraw.

There is no way Dan Houston gets off this.

Even if our legal eagle produces definitive 8K footage that the highest he made impact was collarbone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Showdown 56

Remove this Banner Ad

Back