Sledging - What is and isn't acceptable?

Remove this Banner Ad

If i am a carlton player and sees Benny cousin look a little down, i would go up to him and sledge him: 'hey benny boy, u looking for ur cocain mate, got some in my bag, wanna share it during half time break?'

Mad sledge. What else ya got?

I've always been a little bemused by the subject of racial sledging. Now I am not saying that the use of derogatory names is fine, far from it. My issue is when someone uses the word "black".

If someone called an Aboriginal player "black magic", I am pretty sure an aboriginal player would not be getting upset over that. But if they called them a "black c***", they would probably get upset and scream racial vilification.

But what are they getting upset over? The fact they said "black" or "c***"? As soon as the following word becomes offensive, the "black" makes it worse? How about this, YOU ARE BLACK!

The issue with this (apart from the obvious problem of comparing the colour of someone's skin to the colour of shirt he's wearing) is that by placing the word 'black', 'Australian', 'Pom' etc..etc...next to a derogatory word, you are basically making the adjective that you've used derogatory as well.

Any sledges based on race or religion are completely below the belt.

Family is an interesting one. As long as the statement has no real basis it's fine in my book, e.g. "Your sister has a bigger c**k than Bazza". When you start entering territory in which there is some truth (and as a result real malice) behind the sledge (i.e. Minson & Cornes), that is completely uncalled for.

When it comes to comments directly relating to the player in question (Slater & Riewoldt), fair game as far as I'm concerned. They are professionals and should easily be able to brush of sledges about themselves.

Any sledge regarding a player's ability, courage, haircut, weight is ok by me. With regards to family members, the South Park rule applies. Ever wonder why the South Park writers get away with all the stuff they put in their episodes about various celebrities? It's because it is obviously ridiculous. Therefore, it may be seen as rational that if you break out the old "I rooted your mum last night" line, an opponent shouldn't get upset, because it is clearly a ridiculous statement.

The flipside to that is the Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction rule. Anytime you are resorting to sledging against an opponent whom you barely know, you have little to no idea how they are going to react. To paraphrase, they can't promise not to get offended. You can let fly with your sledge and their natural inclination may be to get offended (or start throwing cut lunches). That's the risk someone takes when sledging an opponent and if it is found to be unprovoked and something that would be expected to cause offence to a reasonable person, then the sledger should be held accountable.

The final rule is the McGrath/Sarwan rule. McGrath (great cricketer, ordinary sledger) asks Sarwan "what does Brian Lara's **** taste like?"

Sarwan: "I don't know. Ask your wife."

McGrath loses the plot and has to be restrained. Sarwan goes on to make a ton. McGrath looks extremely silly.

by placing the word 'black'...next to a derogatory word, you are basically making the adjective that you've used derogatory as well.

With regards to family members, the South Park rule applies.

The flipside to that is the Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction rule.

The final rule is the McGrath/Sarwan rule.

spot on. in general i would suggest that a person should only conduct themselves on field in a way that they would be comfortable with being made public. sledge away, but if you can't handle people making assessment of your character on the basis of it, then don't. this not only a matter of principle but pragmatism in the days of mike-up umpires and parabolic microphones.

My personal view is this:

If a person has no control over something, example red hair, black skin, short stature, hare-lip, low IQ, ethnic origin etc - then those should be off limits. They have nothing to do with who a person is.

If a person has control (ie. thay have made a choice) to be a criminal, druggie, rapist, money-hungry, lazy, soft, etc. then all those issues are fair game. If the person being sledged doesn't like it they can change their ways.

Note - religion is in the 2nd category. I choose to be a Christian, if people called me a Bible-basher or Jesus freak then fair enough. Bachar Houli chooses to be a Muslim. There is a big difference between race and religion and yet they are treated the same. Why?

The funniest (and possibly most insightful) comment on this issue I ever heard was from Warwick Todd, talking about the new vilification laws in cricket:

"We can no longer call a Paki player a wife-beating, bribe-taking, ball-tampering, match-fixing black ****ter bastard. From now on, the word "black" must be removed!"

My personal view is this:

If a person has no control over something, example red hair, black skin, short stature, hare-lip, low IQ, ethnic origin etc - then those should be off limits. They have nothing to do with who a person is.

If a person has control (ie. thay have made a choice) to be a criminal, druggie, rapist, money-hungry, lazy, soft, etc. then all those issues are fair game. If the person being sledged doesn't like it they can change their ways.

Note - religion is in the 2nd category. I choose to be a Christian, if people called me a Bible-basher or Jesus freak then fair enough. Bachar Houli chooses to be a Muslim. There is a big difference between race and religion and yet they are treated the same. Why?

I wouldn't be too sure about the religion one. Depending partly on your cultural or familial background, religion is not always a choice, trust me.

The whole purpose of a sledge is to find the insult that would put a player off their game or create that momentary lapse in concentration.

Unfortunately different people have different buttons and what is completely unoffensive to one person will send someone else over the top.
A person with deep religious convictions would be deeply offended about a sledge on their religion, I on the other hand wouldn't give a damn.

If you want to play the sledging game you should be prepared to accept what comes with it and that could be a smack in the mouth. Unfortunately with 14 different camera angles this option isn't open. That is why I get annoyed at the retired footballers club going on and on about "what happens on the field, stays on the field".

Hence the need for rules (race / religion). After the Headland / Selwood case I would assume that children are now off limits. The list will get longer.

I wouldn't be too sure about the religion one. Depending partly on your cultural or familial background, religion is not always a choice, trust me.
Yes and no. Overall, you're correct.

But we're talking about what is acceptable on a football field, IN AUSTRALIA. In Australia, religious beliefs are a choice. You do not HAVE to follow a particular belief.

Like any choice, there are decisions and possibly prices to be paid. If Bachar Houli suddenly found that he was struggling with his belief system, and that he would step away from his Islamic community, then he may find that other members of that support group/community no longer wish to affiliate with him. While it would be unfortunate, that would be that person's right to choose as well.

As a result, I don't think religious beliefs should be taboo. Were we talking about a football game in northern Afghanistan, the answer would probably be different.

I think sometimes the formula is quite simple, the more hilarious the sledge, the more you can get away with it, no matter what was said. If the sledge is more vicious and intended to hurt, it is automatically condemned.

So in conclusion. make the sledge funny and you will pretty much be in the clear.:thumbsu:

Any sledge regarding a player's ability, courage, haircut, weight is ok by me. With regards to family members, the South Park rule applies. Ever wonder why the South Park writers get away with all the stuff they put in their episodes about various celebrities? It's because it is obviously ridiculous. Therefore, it may be seen as rational that if you break out the old "I rooted your mum last night" line, an opponent shouldn't get upset, because it is clearly a ridiculous statement.

The flipside to that is the Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction rule. Anytime you are resorting to sledging against an opponent whom you barely know, you have little to no idea how they are going to react. To paraphrase, they can't promise not to get offended. You can let fly with your sledge and their natural inclination may be to get offended (or start throwing cut lunches). That's the risk someone takes when sledging an opponent and if it is found to be unprovoked and something that would be expected to cause offence to a reasonable person, then the sledger should be held accountable.

The final rule is the McGrath/Sarwan rule. McGrath (great cricketer, ordinary sledger) asks Sarwan "what does Brian Lara's **** taste like?"

Sarwan: "I don't know. Ask your wife."

McGrath loses the plot and has to be restrained. Sarwan goes on to make a ton. McGrath looks extremely silly.

Good work. :thumbsu: At the end of the day there shouldn't be any AFL ramification for a sledge no matter what it is IMO.

Ban sledging???
What a ****ing joke of an idea. How precious can people get?

Don't we have better things to worry about?

I'm not accepting his story

Neither player had enough evidence

One thing in our favour was Peter Bell - he's a bloody lawyer and was one at the time and he was the one that went up to Selwood to ask him to apologise

I know there's a mentality to stick by your own team but if Dessy was lying would Belly have gone up to Selwood and asked him to apologise to Des?

Probably not - he wouldn't want to get himself involved in a potentially big legal dispute

The fact remains that the only way des could have gotten off the six week charge was if the claims were false - this was not the case - they were never really confirmed

The case was never solved and both players still got off - Selwood didn't even get a fine IIRC

Yes, I'm sure Bell was thinking about the legal aspects of getting involved out there on the football field. :rolleyes:

Ban sledging???
What a ****ing joke of an idea. How precious can people get?

Don't we have better things to worry about?
Not sure many people are suggesting that.

The notion is you can either have it open slather or none at all. Not some sort of "this is OK, but not this, because of a, b and c" sort of rule.

Not sure many people are suggesting that.

The notion is you can either have it open slather or none at all. Not some sort of "this is OK, but not this, because of a, b and c" sort of rule.
Are footballers that stupid that it has to be open slather or none at all?
Just can't believe i'm reading that at all i guess. Surely its not that hard for them to identify & stay away from the really personally offensive stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tony Liberatore to Peter Bell (who was adopted)

Libba: Oi Belly, How does it feel to not know your real parents you dog.

Not sure what Peter Bell said back to Libba but would you guys be offended greatly by this? I wouldn't and obviously Belly wasn't.

since the selwood/ Headland incident has selwood ever tried to repeat his (alleged) disgusting taunts?
nope, because he learnt his lesson.
i remember the character references from his junior Victorian playing days telling how wonderful a character he was.
i wonder which club taught him 2 stoop to such a level?:p

since the selwood/ Headland incident has selwood ever tried to repeat his (alleged) disgusting taunts?
nope, because he learnt his lesson.
i remember the character references from his junior Victorian playing days telling how wonderful a character he was.
i wonder which club taught him 2 stoop to such a level?:p
Haha.. you are drawing some sort of conclusion here but i just can't quite work out what it is ;);)

Cant find another thread but if what Aker says is true Michael Voss wins the best sledge of all time

Walks up to brothe Brett Voss when hes having a shot for goal

"My father rooted your mum"

Brett goes onto kick it on the full and with good reason. Thats a ripper :thumbsu:

Cant find another thread but if what Aker says is true Michael Voss wins the best sledge of all time

Walks up to brothe Brett Voss when hes having a shot for goal

"My father rooted your mum"

Brett goes onto kick it on the full and with good reason. Thats a ripper :thumbsu:

Yeah it's a pretty well known one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sledging - What is and isn't acceptable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back