Draft Watcher SMYTHE’s 2023 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Jacob Grant from the Stingrays. Has been kicking goals on a regular basis and for an midsized forward looked ok in the trial game.

Going ok, but would like more effort with his defensive side and more in game involvement, which may come if he can be tougher at the contest and especially make more contests. His endurance must be lacking, well it seems that way in games, but has plenty of scope. Really hope he has a growth spurt though.

Top 50 is bloody hard so I did my top 30

1. Harley Reid
  2. Nick Watson
  3. Darcy Wilson
  4. Archer Reid
  5. Colby McKercher
  6. Jed Walter
  7. Kane McAuliffe
  8. Zane Duursma
  9. Cooper Simpson
  10. Ashton Moir (benefit of the doubt for now)
  11. Daniel Curtin
  12. Kolton Tholstrup
  13. Nathan Philactides
  14. Logan Morris
  15. Mitch Edwards
  16. Nate Caddy
  17. Will Lorenz
  18. Jake Rogers
  19. Ryley Hardeman
  20. Ryley Sanders
  21. Will Brown
  22. Jack Delean
  23. George Stevens
  24. Caiden Cleary
  25. Riley Weatherill
  26. Archie Roberts
  27. Caleb Windsor
  28. Jack Callinan
  29. Logan Evans
  30. Connor O’Sullivan
Not having Will Mccabe in there is baffling

Yeah, he was a glaring ommission from MY top 50 as well. He is one of my favourites this year so I may have just forgotten about him when whipping up my first top 50 and with my positional rankings and aprils adjusted top 50 coming out he will be in. I have however wanted more effort once the ball is not marked or spoiled in the contest. Once it hits the ground i would like to see more effort to chase and tackle, and his defensive positioning at those moments instead of just spreading out for a handball. But, as I said, one kid I do like and he has got better each week So you can expect a rise in my rankings.

Yeah, he was a glaring ommission from MY top 50 as well. He is one of my favourites this year so I may have just forgotten about him when whipping up my first top 50 and with my positional rankings and aprils adjusted top 50 coming out he will be in. I have however wanted more effort once the ball is not marked or spoiled in the contest. Once it hits the ground i would like to see more effort to chase and tackle, and his defensive positioning at those moments instead of just spreading out for a handball. But, as I said, one kid I do like and he has got better each week So you can expect a rise in my rankings.
Fair enough, just watching him, his positive attributes (marking ability, size, speed for size) seem to outweigh the possible other smaller issues

But I think he shoots up the board especially if he continues his form, as well as a strong champs

Fair enough, just watching him, his positive attributes (marking ability, size, speed for size) seem to outweigh the possible other smaller issues

But I think he shoots up the board especially if he continues his form, as well as a strong champs
To be honest, in jan I quickly did a top 110, not posted, just basically on who I liked, he was at 18. so for me to overlook him in the first top 50 (pre end of month adjustment) is an oversight.

FORWARDS

Logan Morris
Nate Caddy
Archer Read - Utility
Sam Van Rooyen
Jed Walter - Utility
GC Academy
Riley Weatherill
Charlton Harris
Will Brown - Utility
Chad Reschke
Zane Duursma - Utility
Kolton Tholstrup - Utility
Jack Delean - Utility
Max Rider
Jack Callinan
Ashton Moir
Harry DeMattia
Hugo Garcia
Pat Weckert
Michael Rudd
Mahmoud Taha - Utility
Tom Anastasopoulis
Xavier Walsh - Utility
Will LaMotte
Conor Gluyas
Amin Naim
Evan Bradley
Jordan Croft - Utility
Orlando Turner
Joel Cooper
Miles Enders
Oskar Smartt
Tyzreise Clark
Jacob Grant
Jasper Maher - Utility
Is that in order of what you like?

Is that in order of what you like?
No, it’s just a list of forwards. It gets added to and adjusted for when players start being used in other positions more. All of these are just positional lists, and at the end of each month I do a top 5 for each position. Aprils rankings will actually be out tomorrow night.

Mid Season Draft

Some possible candidates are below.

Black - On the radar
Green - Good chances
Blue - Should be picked
IMO only

Zac Foot
Boyd Woodcock
Kai Owens
Robert Hansen Jnr
Flynn Gentile
Will Fordham

Ryley Stoddart
Mitch Hardie
Shaun Mannagh

Ryan Maric
Jack Buller

Corey Preston
Ethan Phillips
Quinton Narkle
Luke Teal

Sam Gilbey
Ethan Stanley
Rye Penny
Callum Park

Clay Tucker
Sam Naismith

Harry Boyd
Jaiden Hunter
Nick Newton

Marty Hore
Oscar McDonald
Jack Cleaver
Noah Casalini

Trent Mynott
Sam Lowson
Tyson Young

Jedd Longmire
Brandon Ryan
Lachie Sullivan
Callum Brown

Last edited:
Will Elliot?
His name has popped up in 1 article that I know of, so who knows, maybe he is a slight chance, but I have not added him here because I think he is a fair way off being ready. No runs on the board IMO.

Last edited:
My Current Top 40 Big Board

Harley Ried
Jed Walter
Daniel Curtin
Zane Duursma
Archer Reid
Nick Watson
Colby McKercher
Kane McAuliffe
Nate Caddy
Will McCabe
Mitch Edwards
Ashton Moir
Koltyn Tholstrup
Jack Delean
Jake Rogers
Darcy Wilson
Connor O’Sullivan
Logan Morris
Will Lorenz
Ollie Murphy
Will Patton
Joel Freijah
Will Brown
Riley Sanders
Logan Evans
Jordan Croft
Ethan Read
Luamon Lual
Harry Demattia
Nathan Philactides
Cooper Simpson
Jack Callinan
Tom Anastasopoulis
Riley Hardeman
Mahmoud Taha
Clay Hall
Lance Collard
Archie Roberts
Angus Hastie
Oscar Ryan

On the edge, in no particular order, Riley Whetherill, Coen Livingstone, Sam Van Rooyen, Josh Docking, Ben Ridgeway, Alex Holt, George Stevens, Coby James, Koen Sanchez, Harvey Johnston

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mckercher strengths and weaknesses please 😁

Feels right to be on the draft boards at this point of the year
He is an in and out mid who can drift forward. Has the ability to keep up his two way running for all four quarters. Seems to have that ability to be calm under pressure and hit a target. He can win his own ball but also provide the quick spread from a contest to provide an option for his team. One of his best attributes that holds him above others is his consistency, he has been able to really close the gap between an off game and his best, and he is now just a really ultra consistent top performer.
One challenge for him will be if he has a really poor game…..I would love to see his response to that the following week.
Another challenge is to have a really monster/game winning performance and stamp his authority, can he do that?

Mid season Draft
Mid season draft - The waaaaay too early crack at it

Every year this come around and we all get sucked into doing our own mocks on the mid season draft and for most of it we are all off, …yet……we just do it again the next year.

There always seems to be players that don’t get picked and someone rocks up from Timbuktu that nobody has heard of and they get picked. They are all good stories and some kids/young men are stiff to miss out.

Plenty of stories out there on who should and should not get picked and why, and also stories about ‘our club needs this and doesn’t need that’ etc.
I honestly don’t care about any of the stories or whispers and will have a crack at what I think will happen.

It is still early to do this as teams have not finalised whether or not they will create a spot, take a pick, or take two picks.
So that being said, take my mock with a grain of salt, it will probably be way off, and don’t forget the order is also still not locked away yet.

WCE - Ryan Maric
Nth - Clay Tucker
Haw - Brandon Ryan
Gws - One of these; Rye Penny/Nick Newton/Caleb Poulter
Rich - James Trezise
G.C - Harrison Arnold or Flynn Riley - May or may not pick at all
Syd - Oscar Mcdonald
Carl - Luke Teal or Mutaz El Nour
Freo - Jack Buller
Ess - One of these; Jaiden Hunter/Ethan Phillips/Quentin Narkle
Geel - Jhye Chalcraft
WB - Will Elliot, or will Lachie Sullivan finally get his chance?
Port - Noah Casalini
Coll - Sam Naismith
Wce - Robert Hansen Jnr - If they open a second spot
Haw - Ethan Stanley
Gws - One of the others from their previous pick; Rye Penny/Nick Newton/Caleb Poulter - HOWEVER - May Pass this pick
Rich - Possibly Quentin Narkle if not already gone
Ess - One of the others from their previous pick; Jaiden Hunter/Ethan Phillips/Quentin Narkle - HOWEVER - May pass this pick

Now, I believe Carlton could take 2 and if they do, maybe Cal Brown gets another crack.
Brisbane could open one up with which they may take either a ruck or defender (one of; see Gold Coast options above).
If Adelaide were to open up a spot my guess would be either Mitch Hardie or Kobe Ryan and I don’t expect Stk or Melb to get involved.

Mid season draft - The waaaaay too early crack at it

Every year this come around and we all get sucked into doing our own mocks on the mid season draft and for most of it we are all off, …yet……we just do it again the next year.

There always seems to be players that don’t get picked and someone rocks up from Timbuktu that nobody has heard of and they get picked. They are all good stories and some kids/young men are stiff to miss out.

Plenty of stories out there on who should and should not get picked and why, and also stories about ‘our club needs this and doesn’t need that’ etc.
I honestly don’t care about any of the stories or whispers and will have a crack at what I think will happen.

It is still early to do this as teams have not finalised whether or not they will create a spot, take a pick, or take two picks.
So that being said, take my mock with a grain of salt, it will probably be way off, and don’t forget the order is also still not locked away yet.

WCE - Ryan Maric
Nth - Clay Tucker
Haw - Brandon Ryan
Gws - One of these; Rye Penny/Nick Newton/Caleb Poulter
Rich - James Trezise
G.C - Harrison Arnold or Flynn Riley - May or may not pick at all
Syd - Oscar Mcdonald
Carl - Luke Teal or Mutaz El Nour
Freo - Jack Buller
Ess - One of these; Jaiden Hunter/Ethan Phillips/Quentin Narkle
Geel - Jhye Chalcraft
WB - Will Elliot, or will Lachie Sullivan finally get his chance?
Port - Noah Casalini
Coll - Sam Naismith
Wce - Robert Hansen Jnr - If they open a second spot
Haw - Ethan Stanley
Gws - One of the others from their previous pick; Rye Penny/Nick Newton/Caleb Poulter - HOWEVER - May Pass this pick
Rich - Possibly Quentin Narkle if not already gone
Ess - One of the others from their previous pick; Jaiden Hunter/Ethan Phillips/Quentin Narkle - HOWEVER - May pass this pick

Now, I believe Carlton could take 2 and if they do, maybe Cal Brown gets another crack.
Brisbane could open one up with which they may take either a ruck or defender (one of; see Gold Coast options above).
If Adelaide were to open up a spot my guess would be either Mitch Hardie or Kobe Ryan and I don’t expect Stk or Melb to get involved.

How do u think Tyson Young from bull ants stacks up
194 inside mid forward who is good in the air and below his knees with good numbers

How do u think Tyson Young from bull ants stacks up
194 inside mid forward who is good in the air and below his knees with good numbers
I actually really like Tyson as a player a lot, and I have mentioned him before somewhere here on big footy. However, I think he has no absolute standout traits that could improve at the top level. You get what you see with Tyson and I feel he is one that should have got his chance at the top level but probably is just not quick enough or athletically agile enough. Very solid player who is definitely one of the best at that level of footy. The problem for players like him, is every team at the top level has those guys already, who mostly, are more agile and/or athletic, so teams are looking for the guys with a point of difference and a high ceiling the player hasn’t reached or realised yet and the club can build them up to.

How do you rank the KPF options in the MSD? Hoping Tiges take 1!
What you have to understand is, it depends on the team.
I see Brandon Ryan as a tall, play out of the square type with a good kick and good hands.
I see Jack Buller as a similar player but with more grunt towards a pack, hard tackler, great hands, but with a less dependable kick.
Jaiden Hunter has great hands, not great at tackling/forward pressure at all, but a very good kick at goals and is dual positional as he always use to play KPD and is good down back in one on ones.
Clay Tucker is the ruck fwd with agility and youth on his side.
If you think Richmond need one you have to ask yourself which role they will play and are you after a long term player or a band aid.
Teams toward the bottom of the ladder try hard to use this pick for a long term player and do not pick as a Band-Aid solution.
For example, teams up the top may pick a more mature player to fill an injury spot or I.e ruck depth, and if they get 6 months or 12 months out of them then that is a bonus. As in, I can see either Geelong, or if Collingwood open a spot, going for Sam Naismith as ruck cover if anything happens to their very thin ruck stocks.
For the Tigers, they have Lynch as the KPF, they have Ryan chiming in there and being the back up ruck in which he has overtaken Soldo.
The agile fwd (Riewoldt) is coming to the end of his career and they have recruited to cover that spot with a few developable fwds in Bradtke and Bauer (even though Bauer is learning the defensive role currently down back in the vfl), and the whisper is Himmelberg ($$) is a target for that spot too.
Then you have Gibcus that they were, and will when he is back, learning the swingman role down fwd and down back.
It depends on what they want to do and it’s a tough one. If they want another KPF alongside Lynch, do they want him to be the Buller type or the Hunter type.
I (if picking a KPF for Richmond as is the want) personally would count out Brandon Ryan because of his age, Clay Tucker would be a waste as they have Samson Ryan already, and I rate Jaiden Hunters kick better than Bullers, but if I were to pick one of those two it would be Buller.
He moves up and back the ground well, has great hands and gets shots on goal. You can fix kicking techniques, but you can’t make someone have grunt and a fierceness towards a pack or towards a defender trying to run off with the ball and Jack was born with that.
I would be going a different way however.
I personally have really liked the way James Trezise has blossomed this year as he has shown many developable afl traits whilst having excellent agility and athleticism and speed.
So that is where I would be investing one of the picks, and if Richmond do that, then none of the aforementioned KPF’s will probably be available at the second pick if Richmond intend on using two picks.
I think they have a kid already in mind that they are going to get with the first pick, and have opened the second pick to just see who is available.
They would most likely have an extremely small list of maybe only 1 or 2 players that they are interested in taking if they are still available at that spot or they will just pass.

Last edited:
What you have to understand is, it depends on the team.
I see Brandon Ryan as a tall, play out of the square type with a good kick and good hands.
I see Jack Buller as a similar player but with more grunt towards a pack, hard tackler, great hands, but with a less dependable kick.
Jaiden Hunter has great hands, not great at tackling/forward pressure at all, but a very good kick at goals and is dual positional as he always use to play KPD and is good down back in one on ones.
Clay Tucker is the ruck fwd with agility and youth on his side.
If you think Richmond need one you have to ask yourself which role they will play and are you after a long term player or a band aid.
Teams toward the bottom of the ladder try hard to use this pick for a long term player and do not pick as a Band-Aid solution.
For example, teams up the top may pick a more mature player to fill an injury spot or I.e ruck depth, and if they get 6 months or 12 months out of them then that is a bonus. As in, I can see either Geelong, or if Collingwood open a spot, going for Sam Naismith as ruck cover if anything happens to their very thin ruck stocks.
For the Tigers, they have Lynch as the KPF, they have Ryan chiming in there and being the back up ruck in which he has overtaken Soldo.
The agile fwd (Riewoldt) is coming to the end of his career and they have recruited to cover that spot with a few developable fwds in Bradtke and Bauer (even though Bauer is learning the defensive role currently down back in the vfl), and the whisper is Himmelberg ($$) is a target for that spot too.
Then you have Gibcus that they were, and will when he is back, learning the swingman role down fwd and down back.
It depends on what they want to do and it’s a tough one. If they want another KPF alongside Lynch, do they want him to be the Buller type or the Hunter type.
I (if picking a KPF for Richmond as is the want) personally would count out Brandon Ryan because of his age, Clay Tucker would be a waste as they have Samson Ryan already, and I rate Jaiden Hunters kick better than Bullers, but if I were to pick one of those two it would be Buller.
He moves up and back the ground well, has great hands and gets shots on goal. You can fix kicking techniques, but you can’t make someone have grunt and a fierceness towards a pack or towards a defender trying to run off with the ball and Jack was born with that.
I would be going a different way however.
I personally have really liked the way James Trezise has blossomed this year as he has shown many developable afl traits whilst having excellent agility and athleticism and speed.
So that is where I would be investing one of the picks, and if Richmond do that, then none of the aforementioned KPF’s will probably be available at the second pick if Richmond intend on using two picks.
I think they have a kid already in mind that they are going to get with the first pick, and have opened the second pick to just see who is available.
They would most likely have an extremely small list of maybe only 1 or 2 players that they are interested in taking if they are still available at that spot or they will just pass.
Thanks for that mate. I'm really warming to Tresize also and hope that Buller is available at 2nd pick.

Do you rate Hansen Jr?

Thanks for that mate. I'm really warming to Tresize also and hope that Buller is available at 2nd pick.

Do you rate Hansen Jr?
He has speed and agility, I don’t see any toughness in him though.
So to be honest, no I do not. Remember that is not a knock on him at all, just my opinion on who I would take or not take in the msd. He could quite possibly, if wce want to go local, go at 1 in the msd.

RANKINGS UPDATE
Rankings Update
Hopefully no missing talent or mistakes

1 Harley Reid
2 Jed Walter
3 Nate Caddy
4 Nick Watson
5 Zane Duursma
6 Dan Curtin
7 Colby McKercher
8 Ryley Sanders
9 Ethan Read*
10 Mitch Edwards*
11 Jordan Croft
12 Connor O'Sullivan
13 Koltyn Tholstrup
14 Darcy Wilson
15 Jake Rogers
16 Will McCabe
17 Archer Reid
18 Ollie Murphy
19 Jack Delean
20 Logan Evans
21 George Stevens
22 Joel Freijah
23 Will Lorenz
24 Harry Demattia
25 Luamon Lual
26 Cooper Simpson
27 Kane McAuliffe
28 James Leake
29 Harvey Johnston
30 Nathan Philactides
31 Riley Hardeman
32 Will Brown
33 Logan Morris
34 Will Patton
35 Archie Roberts
36 Ashton Moir
37 Koen Sanchez
38 Clay Hall
39 Caiden Cleary
40 Jack Callinan
41 Lachie Charleson
42 Arie Schoenmaker
43 Will Green*
44 Mahmoud Taha
45 Angus Hastie
46 Aiden O'Driscoll
47 Kade DeLaRue
48 Taylor Goad*
49 Jed Dignan
50 Alex Holt
51 Tom Wheaton
52 Coby James
53 Billy Wilson
54 Sam Frangalas
55 Evan Smith*
56 Phoenix Gothard
57 Coen Livingstone
58 Michael Rudd
59 Will Graham
60 Xavier Walsh
61 Sam Van Rooyen
62 Kynan Brown
63 Charlie Harrop
64 Josh Docking
65 Tom Anastasopoulis
66 Bailey Harbour
67 Luca Slade
68 Jake Smith
69 Will Dawson*
70 Oliver Poole
71 Caleb May*
72 Kobe Shipp
73 Oscar Ryan
74 Heath Ollington
75 Lance Collard
76 Riley Whetherill
77 Lachlan Cabor
78 Reece Torrent
79 Ben Ridgeway
80 Luke Kelly
81 Miles Enders
82 Chad Reschke
83 Cam Nyko
84 Tom Beaumont
85 Amin Naim
86 Caleb Windsor
87 Oskar Smartt
88 Charlie McCormack
89 Flynn Riley*
90 Joe Pike*

* denotes that i have the rucks placed roughly where i think they are at, however apart from Ethan Read and Mitch Edwards (in which i am confident of where they are at), its only Will Green and Taylor Goad that have been improving and impressive, the others, in my opinion are only rookie chances with Evan Smith being the best of the rest.

Last edited:
Rankings Update
Hopefully no missing talent or mistakes

1 Harley Reid
2 Jed Walter
3 Nate Caddy
4 Nick Watson
5 Zane Duursma
6 Dan Curtin
7 Colby McKercher
8 Ryley Sanders
9 Ethan Read*
10 Mitch Edwards*
11 Jordan Croft
12 Connor O'Sullivan
13 Koltyn Tholstrup
14 Darcy Wilson
15 Jake Rogers
16 Will McCabe
17 Archer Reid
18 Ollie Murphy
19 Jack Delean
20 Logan Evans
21 George Stevens
22 Joel Freijah
23 Will Lorenz
24 Harry Demattia
25 Luamon Lual
26 Cooper Simpson
27 Kane McAuliffe
28 James Leake
29 Harvey Johnston
30 Nathan Philactides
31 Riley Hardeman
32 Will Brown
33 Logan Morris
34 Will Patton
35 Archie Roberts
36 Ashton Moir
37 Koen Sanchez
38 Clay Hall
39 Caiden Cleary
40 Jack Callinan
41 Lachie Charleson
42 Angus Hastie
43 Will Green*
44 Mahmoud Taha
45 Aiden O'Driscoll
46 Kade DeLaRue
47 Taylor Goad*
48 Jed Dignan
49 Alex Holt
50 Tom Wheaton
51 Coby James
52 Billy Wilson
53 Sam Frangalas
54 Evan Smith*
55 Phoenix Gothard
56 Coen Livingstone
57 Michael Rudd
58 Arie Schoenmaker
59 Xavier Walsh
60 Sam Van Rooyen
61 Kynan Brown
62 Charlie Harrop
63 Josh Docking
64 Tom Anastasopoulis
65 Bailey Harbour
66 Luca Slade
67 Jake Smith
68 Will Dawson*
69 Oliver Poole
70 Caleb May*
71 Kobe Shipp
72 Oscar Ryan
73 Lance Collard
74 Riley Whetherill
75 Lachlan Cabor
76 Reece Torrent
77 Ben Ridgeway
78 Luke Kelly
79 Miles Enders
80 Chad Reschke
81 Cam Nyko
82 Tom Beaumont
83 Amin Naim
84 Caleb Windsor
85 Oskar Smartt
86 Flynn Riley*
87 Joe Pike*

* denotes that i have the rucks placed roughly where i think they are at, however apart from Ethan Read and Mitch Edwards (in which i am confident of where they are at), its only Will Green and Taylor Goad that have been improving and impressive, the others, in my opinion are only rookie chances with Evan Smith being the best of the rest.
Rankings out to 87?! Is there that much draftable talent this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Watcher SMYTHE’s 2023 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back