Draft Watcher SMYTHE's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So then, here are a few combinations.
Some have those breakaway mids with good ball use O’Sullivan and Draper, a replacement for Rioli in Travaglia, the best small forward IMO of the draft in Berry, a tall forward in Jack Whitlock, the best junior ruck I have seen ( at least athletically and competitively) for a long time in Alex Dodson, a good ball using small def/hf back in Harry Oliver and a good, tallish fwd/mid in Hamish Davis.
Some other options in there if they go down the Langford and or Smith path too. I mentioned that it is tough, because I literally want to name four or five others also.
1 - F.O’Sullivan, 7 - S.Lalor, 10 - T.Travaglia, 15 - J.Berry, 17 - J.Whitlock, First pick Second Round - M.Whitlock
1 - S.Draper, 7 - M.Reid, 10 - T.Travaglia, 15 - J.Berry, 17 -A.Dodson,
First pick Second Round - H.Davis,
1 - H.Langford, 7 - S.Lalor, 10 - J.Berry, 15 - A.Tauru, 17 - H.Davis, First pick Second Round - H.Oliver
1 - J.Smith, 7 - S.Lalor, 10 - T.Travaglia, 15 - J.Whitlock, 17 - A.Dodson,
First pick Second Round - H.Davis
Interested in your opinion.

Heard West Coast suggest that their Pick 3 could be on the table for Richmond for Baker, with Richmond sending back a later first rounder. Pick 6 (for Rioli) seems to early, but maybe pick 9 or 10 (for Bolton).

Alternatively Richmond could just stick to demanding a pick. I don't know - maybe late first round? Around pick 15?

Assuming West Coast could get that done, what is a better outcome for Richmond? Basically comparing Pick 3 vs Pick 10 +15. Or using your mock scenario above, one of FOS/Draper/Smith/Langford vs Travaglia + Berry or a KPF.

I feel like in most years you'd do the deal to move up but given the evenness of the draft and quality that will still be there between 10-15 (and that Richmond needs to bring a lot of good players in), maybe not?

Thanks

Heard West Coast suggest that their Pick 3 could be on the table for Richmond for Baker, with Richmond sending back a later first rounder. Pick 6 (for Rioli) seems to early, but maybe pick 9 or 10 (for Bolton).

Alternatively Richmond could just stick to demanding a pick. I don't know - maybe late first round? Around pick 15?

Assuming West Coast could get that done, what is a better outcome for Richmond? Basically comparing Pick 3 vs Pick 10 +15. Or using your mock scenario above, one of FOS/Draper/Smith/Langford vs Travaglia + Berry or a KPF.

I feel like in most years you'd do the deal to move up but given the evenness of the draft and quality that will still be there between 10-15 (and that Richmond needs to bring a lot of good players in), maybe not?

Thanks
I think if we were getting the lions first pick, we would look at moving up. The first 5-6 I think project better than the next 5-6.

Could still take 9 or 10 + Lions pick along with 1,3,6 in your scenario.

Thanks
Word is that the Bolton deal has had a hand shake agreement already which would unlock other deals for both teams. I would do the deal of 10 and Baker with maybe another late pick for that wce pick, given the desperate need for top end talent in the midfield for Richmond. They could get an inside ball winner and an outside leaning breakaway mid early then choose for best talent in positional needs with the rest of the picks they end up with.

Hey mate can you do a top 10 phantom draft?

Whilst I would, it would be totally worthless. This year we will see the most amount of changes (I believe) the to draft hands of teams.
Instead I can give you, in no particular order, the players with the best chance of going top 10.

Draper, smith, Langford, Ashcroft, O’Sullivan, Reid, Lalor, Smillie, Armstrong, Travaglia, Berry, Trainor.

Word is that the Bolton deal has had a hand shake agreement already which would unlock other deals for both teams. I would do the deal of 10 and Baker with maybe another late pick for that wce pick, given the desperate need for top end talent in the midfield for Richmond. They could get an inside ball winner and an outside leaning breakaway mid early then choose for best talent in positional needs with the rest of the picks they end up with.
Fair enough. So i guess that would be using 1 and 3 for one of Smith/Langford (inside) and one of Draper/FOS (outside) fro you?

Thanks
Bwhahahahaha West Coast have suggested no such thing.

Would be madness for West Coast to offer up a top 25 pick for Baker.

Apologies Smythe for derailing your post.

Hopefully our list management are not so moronic to include pick 3 for Baker. Sheer madness.

It’s a tough one Davo because there is a little cop out knowing we may be getting other early draft picks to choose players from also, so that can change one’s outlook on the process.
I would want someone who will fit into the future midfield of Richmond. If they have faith that the takeover will involve Taranto and Hopper then they need a few that can spread from the inside and have agility to burst from the pack.
They would also need very good delivery skills by foot and the ability to go forward and be a goal kicking threat through play or rotations. Having said that, the future mids they have set up for include Taranto, Hopper and McAuliffe.
Dow and Sonsie have huge question marks and the meatball will help out for one more year. So midfielders are bereft at Richmond and therefore a need for all types are required.
Taranto is an inside with a bit of outside, Hopper is a clearance beast (fingers crossed he can stay on the oval) and McAuliffe will also be more of an inside bull feeding it out. Leaving the positions open for a few mids with speed, agility, spread, two way running and excellent delivery and vision.
Of those in the draft that would fit that mold are Draper and O’Sullivan at the top end.
Can O’Sullivan have a career that does not involve a constantly broken down body plagued by injuries?? Draper is a jet, and a proven competitor.
Murphy Reid is very close behind, not due to speed exactly, but his ability to be Pendlebury-like in evasiveness and having time with his agility and reading of the play around him.
Langford would be next but with less speed, however great height. Smith is another that is very much deserving of that 1 spot as an extractor but I am not and never will be sold on his use by foot, he isn’t as good above his head as others either, however I have loved his development over the years and he just keeps proving himself as a natural ball winner.
Lalor, if he could stay on the park as well, should definitely be in the mix with his bull like play and ability to hit packs, tackle hard, good vision and be a menace down forward also.
Personally, I think they need to desperately get ball users who can play the mid position well and spread from stoppages which is something they DO NOT have in the Richmond mid mix currently.
So, with that top pick, going by that way of thinking, it would have to be O’Sullivan or Draper at 1.
mids with speed, agility, spread, two way running and excellent delivery and vision.- Smillie does have any of this? I think he would be perfect.

Bwhahahahaha West Coast have suggested no such thing.

Would be madness for West Coast to offer up a top 25 pick for Baker.

Apologies Smythe for derailing your post.
Would not be too sure about that Matty Clarke sounds like he wants Baker and will be happy to pay what is asked
and Pyke has already said they are open to trading pick #3 so anything can happen

mids with speed, agility, spread, two way running and excellent delivery and vision.- Smillie does have any of this? I think he would be perfect.
Apart from speed, agility, spread, and two way running he's got it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Watcher SMYTHE's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back