Draft Watcher SMYTHE's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Geezus Barnett has been disappointing considering he was well and truly on our recruiters radar if Max Michalanney hadn't been bid on earlier than was expected.
Barnett whist still young has shown very little. If the eagles had a wafl reserves team he'd be playing there, not league

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Players with speed near Carlton’s pick?
Yes, Travaglia would be the one, as a carlton fan, I would hope is available at the pick, then if you look for small forwards, berry, hotton and dattoli. If you weren't going to be getting ben camporeale i would suggest Xavier Lindsay as an option as well, as an outsider looking in at the draft options, xavier is the better option, but carlton wont go that way, they are locked into ben and lucas.

Last edited:
Hey Smythe
Do you think gerreyn could play down back? Looks like a great athletic profile and I'd like the eagles to draft him but only if he could be played down back

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well he has the athleticism to do it with the body and toughness to be a good def, but i have not seen him play this role so it would be all assumptions given his traits, but in short, he does have the traits to be developed into a def.
I just think his attack on the ball and hitting the packs as a forward is too good to deny by trialing him elsewhere at this stage in his game, especially since that the eagles need a big 'charlie Dixon size' and attacking type forward given the age of darling and emergence of waterman as an undersized or second forward who has been playing as that number 1 forward.

Well he has the athleticism to do it with the body and toughness to be a good def, but i have not seen him play this role so it would be all assumptions given his traits, but in short, he does have the traits to be developed into a def.
I just think his attack on the ball and hitting the packs as a forward is too good to deny by trialing him elsewhere at this stage in his game, especially since that the eagles need a big 'charlie Dixon size' and attacking type forward given the age of darling and emergence of waterman as an undersized or second forward who has been playing as that number 1 forward.

Wce drafted Archer Reid 203 cm VM fwd last year he’s developing nicely,
There is also Jack Williams 198 cm KPF who is showing good signs in the AFL and looks likely to have a breakout year in 2025 ..
Which is why the question on Kayle as defender by the poster ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wce drafted Archer Reid 203 cm VM fwd last year he’s developing nicely,
There is also Jack Williams 198 cm KPF who is showing good signs in the AFL and looks likely to have a breakout year in 2025 ..
Which is why the question on Kayle as defender by the poster ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah I understand that, and am well aware of Reid and Williams. I still think that he is better off pushing the development of his forward traits at this stage, and I don't exactly have the faith in the two aforementioned to come through. I have watched Jack play in defense and he handled himself quite well. So options are there.

I'm thinking with the Saints first two picks, we'll be looking between, Armstrong, Lalor, Langford, Reid & Trainor. We need two good mids, but also a key-back & possibly a key-forward.
Liking Hynes or Shanahan with our 3rd pick, if available?
I like Lindsay also.

I'm thinking with the Saints first two picks, we'll be looking between, Armstrong, Lalor, Langford, Reid & Trainor. We need two good mids, but also a key-back & possibly a key-forward.
Liking Hynes or Shanahan with our 3rd pick, if available?
I like Lindsay also.
Yeah there is plenty to like in this draft for sure. It's so hard to say who likes who but if it is band 1 compo for the saints, and they are available, I would be going Trainor and Lalor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AUGUST BIG BOARD RANKINGS - TOP 40

1. SID DRAPER
  2. FINN O'SULLIVAN
  3. JAGGA SMITH
  4. LEVI ASHCROFT
  5. SAM LALOR
  6. LUKE TRAINOR
  7. HARVEY LANGFORD
  8. JOSH SMILLIE
  9. MURPHY REID
  10. TOBIE TRAVAGLIA
  11. JOE BERRY
  12. LEO LOMBARD
  13. JOBE SHANAHAN
  14. XAVIER LINDSAY
  15. TAJ HOTTON
  16. BO ALLAN
  17. ALEX DODSON
  18. ISAAC KAKO
  19. JACK WHITLOCK
  20. ALIX TAURU
  21. HARRY ARMSTRONG
  22. SAM MARSHALL
  23. HARRY OLIVER
  24. TOM GROSS
  25. MATT WHITLOCK
  26. HAMISH DAVIS
  27. LACHIE JAQUES
  28. JESS DATTOLI
  29. COOPER HYNES
  30. HARRY O'FARRELL
  31. CHRISTIAN MORAES
  32. BEN CAMPOREALE
  33. ANGUS CLARKE
  34. KAYLE GERREYN
  35. NOAH MRAZ
  36. JONTY FAULL
  37. TOM SIMMS
  38. ADRIAN COLE
  39. JAMES BARRAT
  40. TYLER WELSH

Will Cole go to the Saints? as NGA.
Hofmann & Peckett the others.
Saints currently have picks to match for Cole if he gets bid on, which I think he might, most likely before your current pick 43. With battle leaving and Houston staying put in Port colours (for now) the saints will need to find more defenders. The others I think would be rookie worthy.

Saints currently have picks to match for Cole if he gets bid on, which I think he might, most likely before your current pick 43. With battle leaving and Houston staying put in Port colours (for now) the saints will need to find more defenders. The others I think would be rookie worthy.

I have been following Cole all year and if I were the Saints list manager I wouldnt go anywhere near him. That said because of a void of key defenders it seems the club will take him. I believe it would be a stretch to even put him on the rookie list, but I guess having been an NGA they tend to fall in love with the kids potential. But for the life of me I cant see why another club would want to bid on him in this years national draft with it being so deep and strong. Thats not because I dont want to be matching a bid its just because I dont rate him that highly.

Key defenders who have nothing else to their game than stopping their opponents should be a thing of the past. Yesterdays game highlights how ineffective Cole's game is - 4 disposals and 1 mark. He is averaging 7 disposals a game and provides ZERO in the offensive side of the game. He is a poor mark for his size and a really awkward kick on his dominant right foot, although his left is reasonable. Given this years depth of talent I just cant see HOW he continually is ranked inside top 40 in phantoms - it amazes me?

Last edited:
I have been following Cole all year and if I were the Saints list manager I wouldnt go anywhere near him. That said because of a void of key defenders it seems the club will take him. I believe it would be a stretch to even put him on the rookie list, but I guess having been an NGA they tend to fall in love with the kids potential. But for the life of me I cant see why another club would want to bid on him in this years national draft with it being so deep and strong. Thats not because I dont want to be matching a bid its just because I dont rate him that highly.

Key defenders who have nothing else to their game than stopping their opponents should be a thing of the past. Yesterdays game highlights how ineffective Cole's game is - 4 disposals and 1 mark. He is averaging 7 disposals a game and provides ZERO in the offensive side of the game. He is a poor mark for his size and a really awkward kick on his dominant right foot, although his left is reasonable. Given this years depth of talent I just cant see HOW he continually is ranked inside top 40 in phantoms - it amazes me?
I tend to agree with some of what you have said, and I don’t know how much, if any, is tongue in cheek, but I was asked about them at the start of the year and mentioned at the time - rookie at best from my perspective.

However, difference of opinion in such a deep draft is what will inevitably happen. My reason for having him rated in that 3rd - 4th round area is because of his athletic traits. With the position he is playing and the area of draft range we are talking about, stats mean nothing. He has some solid skills and they are coachable, but he has better athletic traits than some others in that role and teams will see that as a pod, which is why I think they will (in that 3rd-4th round range) have a dip at him and it’s also why I think the saints may match given what’s walking out the door and what you can get for free, they may take a swing at him and see what they can turn him into, and as you said they do fall in love with their nga’s.

Completely agree. Is there capability to develop an offensive side? I think that’s inherent footy smarts. Might be best if he doesn’t get the ball - that kicking is frightening. A little bit of old school Max Hudghton, but the game has changed. I’d be staggered if he was bid on in the top 50.

Joe Berry and Taj Hotton too.
Carlton will get Ben and Lucas Camporeale who can play half back as well as there other players, Binns, Cowan etc

They need a small fwd or a key defender

Joe Berry, Jesse Dattoli would be safest bets, tall defenders could be anyone from Matt Whitlock (best suited fwd) Noah Mraz, Alix Tauru, or Harry O’Farrell. (This is who I would aim for in the first round or so)

Carlton will get Ben and Lucas Camporeale who can play half back as well as there other players, Binns, Cowan etc

They need a small fwd or a key defender

Joe Berry, Jesse Dattoli would be safest bets, tall defenders could be anyone from Matt Whitlock (best suited fwd) Noah Mraz, Alix Tauru, or Harry O’Farrell. (This is who I would aim for in the first round or so)
Yeah, they are the two I mentioned earlier when asked who would be good for Carlton’s first pick with speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Watcher SMYTHE's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back