Draft Watcher SMYTHE's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

POSITIONAL TOP FIVES

KPD
- Luke Trainor - Matt Whitlock - Alix Tauru - Harry O'Farrell - Noah Mraz
KPF - Harry Armstrong - Jack Whitlock - Jobe Shanahan - Jonty Faull - Tom Sims
MIDS - Sid Draper - Josh Smillie - Finn O'Sullivan - Levi Ashcroft - Jagga Smith
Gen DEF - Tobie Travaglia - Sam Marshall - Harry Oliver - Angus Clarke - Lachie Jaques
Gen FWD - Taj Hotton - Joe Berry - Isaac Kako - Jess Dattoli - Malakai Champion
RUCKS - Alex Dodson - Logan Smith - Floyd Burmeister - Evan Smith - Flynn Penry
Like it mate, however I would have Clancy Dennis (WA key defender) in there... had an amazing champs and was subsequently rewarded with All AUS selection. A little raw for now but a serious football talent for the future.

Like it mate, however I would have Clancy Dennis (WA key defender) in there... had an amazing champs and was subsequently rewarded with All AUS selection. A little raw for now but a serious football talent for the future.
He is raw and I like him, he is 6th on my KPD list, just check the top 40. ;)

POSITIONAL TOP FIVES

KPD
MIDS - Sid Draper - Josh Smillie - Finn O'Sullivan - Levi Ashcroft - Jagga Smith
Gen DEF - Tobie Travaglia - Sam Marshall - Harry Oliver - Angus Clarke - Lachie Jaques

It's interesting Langford didn't make positional top fives but he's sixth overall.

It's interesting Langford didn't make positional top fives but he's sixth overall.
How??
You literally did the math yourself in your statement, 5+1=6
He is my sixth rated midfielder, but not in my top 5 mids, it’s fairly simple.

Last edited:
Three sausage rolls for Malakai at league level today for (S) in the WAFL on debut. I'm a little surprised that he adapted so easily against much stronger men ....though maybe he's used to being small and it doesn't bother him.

Three sausage rolls for Malakai at league level today for (S) in the WAFL on debut. I'm a little surprised that he adapted so easily against much stronger men ....though maybe he's used to being small and it doesn't bother him.
Some play better against top level systems, they just fit in. I love what Malakai can do. Kosi Pickett vibes with those one touch skills and evasiveness plus that Charlie Cameron style agility is damaging, but my problem with him, apart from that size, is not getting involved enough and drifting out of games. I hope he continues that form because he has a big upside as a very damaging small forward at what ever level he can reach if he puts in the work.

Some play better against top level systems, they just fit in. I love what Malakai can do. Kosi Pickett vibes with those one touch skills and evasiveness plus that Charlie Cameron style agility is damaging, but my problem with him, apart from that size, is not getting involved enough and drifting out of games. I hope he continues that form because he has a big upside as a very damaging small forward at what ever level he can reach if he puts in the work.
Drifting in and out of games is what small forwards do and he plays that role well. As long as he does the hard work without the footy and puts pressure on when they don’t have the ball iwill be the difference between drifting out and being great.

Drifting in and out of games is what small forwards do and he plays that role well. As long as he does the hard work without the footy and puts pressure on when they don’t have the ball iwill be the difference between drifting out and being great.
No it is not what they do, it’s what they do when they are not doing all those little things.
I think you are confusing me saying drifting in and out of games with not kicking goals all the time.
What I mean by Malakai drifting in and out is being switched on all game, which Malakai has shown many times that he is not.
Joe Berry, Isaac Kako and even Benny Barrett all average more touches, marks, tackles, goals and one per centers than Malakai, they don’t drift in and out as much as Champion, and with his skill he could be really damaging.
When Malakai is up and going he may get 9 touches with a couple of goals, but also when he isn’t getting the ball, he is leading, blocking, crumbing, chasing tackling, pressuring, all those things that you see the others always doing, their gap is not as big as Malakai’s.
Too many times I have witnessed him not doing these other things, and don’t get me wrong I have said many times I think he has some special talent (as stated in my previous comment about him) but he needs to bring the bar up and close that gap from his great games and his quite ones.
And as you have pointed out yourself, “as long as he does the hard work without the footy”.
He is only young and over time I’m sure he will.

Last edited:
No it is not what they do, it’s what they do when they are not doing all those little things.
I think you are confusing me saying drifting in and out of games with not kicking goals all the time.
What I mean by Malakai drifting in and out is being switched on all game, which Malakai has shown many times that he is not.
Joe Berry, Isaac Kako and even Benny Barrett all average more touches, marks, tackles, goals and one per centers than Malakai, they don’t drift in and out as much as Champion, and with his skill he could be really damaging.
When Malakai is up and going he may get 9 touches with a couple of goals, but also when he isn’t getting the ball, he is leading, blocking, crumbing, chasing tackling, pressuring, all those things that you see the others always doing, their gap is not as big as Malakai’s.
Too many times I have witnessed him not doing these other things, and don’t get me wrong I have said many times I think he has some special talent (as stated in my previous comment about him) but he needs to bring the bar up and close that gap from his great games and his quite ones.
And as you have pointed out yourself, “as long as he does the hard work without the footy”.
He is only young and over time I’m sure he will.
Yea, I think we’re agreeing on the same thing. Compare Malakai to a Benny Barrett or Kano who consistently leads up and back, he’s everywhere, then chases and puts pressure on, and I agree it wouldn’t take much, but some times it can’t be taught. Hopefully for him he can.

Any updates from those overlooked in last years draft who could
be picked up as a hidden gem?

From SA, Logan Evans has been great for Port since the mid draft. After that no one really stands out, Pat Weckert had a strong start to the season until injured, thought he could be a chance mid season. Will Patton plays League without standing out enough to draw attention. Koby Ryan from a couple years ago continues to have strong performances in an average team in the SANFL.

Nobody has stood out enough to pique my interest given the depth of this years talent, it would be a big outside chance, more of a chance as late rookies or preseasons if any.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me why Essendon shouldn't take Harvey Langford if our pick comes before a Kako bid please
Cant No GIF

Only thing would be if Harry Armstrong was still on the board, or a mid with a bit more breakaway speed.

POSITIONAL TOP FIVES

KPD

How far away is Mitch Lloyd here? As far as I’m aware only started playing key back this year and has done well. Played forward as bottom ager last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How far away is Mitch Lloyd here? As far as I’m aware only started playing key back this year and has done well. Played forward as bottom ager last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Has had a good year, but at the “no man’s land” of height for a def.
At that height he would needs to be intercepting more and being used as a running def linking up play and delivering it into the forward line, I don’t see much of that from him, is decent with 1v1 and can defend well.

Hey Smythe
Do you think gerreyn could play down back? Looks like a great athletic profile and I'd like the eagles to draft him but only if he could be played down back

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

No room for usurping Flynn and Bailey Williams for Kayle?

No room for usurping Flynn and Bailey Williams for Kayle?
There's every chance but he's a tad undersized and we've also got barnett and Jamieson. If we drafted him and he ended up better than all of ( none of them are fantastic)them that's awesome but he has the tools to be a top KPD too

There's every chance but he's a tad undersized and we've also got barnett and Jamieson. If we drafted him and he ended up better than all of ( none of them are fantastic)them that's awesome but he has the tools to be a top KPD too

For the time being, wouldn’t you put up with Flynn and Bailey and cut Jamieson?

For the time being, wouldn’t you put up with Flynn and Bailey and cut Jamieson?
I still hope Flynn comes good. But it's hard to rely on him being healthy for long periods.
Bailey tries hard but never wins
Jamiesons got another year left on his contract so unless we pay him out he'll be there and used as a defender at wafl level. He might actually come good

Geezus Barnett has been disappointing considering he was well and truly on our recruiters radar if Max Michalanney hadn't been bid on earlier than was expected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Watcher SMYTHE's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back