SNFL Div 2 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard 2nd hand from an ex- Narre President that Cranny applying to MPNFL, as Narre will be, definitely. Haven't heard about others though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard 2nd hand from an ex- Narre President that Cranny applying to MPNFL, as Narre will be, definitely. Haven't heard about others though.
Surprised that Cranny would’ve considered moving back to MPNFL after being shafted at last attempt.
They seem to be enjoying their time in the Southern League so why the sudden urge to change again??

Yea they did

No good
A number of clubs struggling to field 2 sides even in div 1
League in trouble?
Cranbourne, H Park, Doveton and others applying to MPNFL
Stkilda city hopefully stay viable
There are rumblings CPL, Frankston, South Mornington and Skye have been approached too. Would AFL Vic let 7-8 Teams depart for another League or would they have no say?

Amazing the amount of damage one persons allegations can make to a club/clubs and a competition

Don’t think all those proposed moves would have anything at all to do with allegations. A number of those Clubs listed above sit very comfortably within the current geographic ‘boundaries’ of the MPNFL. Even moving north a little from Edithvale brings in Mordialloc and only a few K’s away from Devon Meadows is Cranbourne. Geographically a lot of these Clubs make sense as part of the MPNFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
There are rumblings CPL, Frankston, South Mornington and Skye have been approached too. Would AFL Vic let 7-8 Teams depart for another League or would they have no say?
What people are forgetting is, that the SFNL can stop clubs from going. Clubs can't just up and leave without the approval/blessing from the league.

Skye (Carrum Downs) & CPL were reborn thanks to the SFNL some 10+ years ago. Then there's AFL Vic approval as suggested

Hallam & Oakleigh Dist left the comp to see if the grass in greener on the other side of the fence. Jury is still out if this was a good decision.

For mine, if clubs want to go let them. Opens up spots for SOUTHERN Bayside teams in the Ammos to come across

Last edited:
What people are forgetting is, that the SFNL can stop clubs from going. Clubs can't just up and leave without the approval/blessing from the league.

Skye (Carrum Downs) & CPL were reborn thanks to the SFNL. Then there's AFL Vic as suggested

Surely Clubs come and go from Leagues all the time….

It was a lot rarer going back to the 70s and 80s as boundaries were rigorously enforced. Now, AFL Victoria seem to have have little interest in interfering in clubs wishing to move leagues.

I can remember Heidelberg getting knocked back from moving to the EFL because of the potential effect on the DVFL. Now clubs almost have the freedom to move and AFLV just rubber stamps the moves. Allowing the transfer of Oakleigh Districts to Eastern and Hallam to Outer East is bizarre to say the least.

It was a lot rarer going back to the 70s and 80s as boundaries were rigorously enforced. Now, AFL Victoria seem to have have little interest in interfering in clubs wishing to move leagues.

I can remember Heidelberg getting knocked back from moving to the EFL because of the potential effect on the DVFL. Now clubs almost have the freedom to move and AFLV just rubber stamps the moves. Allowing the transfer of Oakleigh Districts to Eastern and Hallam to Outer East is bizarre to say the least.

Those two examples don’t make a lot of sense. Whereas most of those mentioned as possibles on this site make sense geographically

Over time, the boundaries of the Southern and MPNFL have overlapped - maybe partially due to the fact that one was affiliated to metro footy (VMFL) and the other to country footy (VCFL).

If both leagues had been under the same peak body, I am sure that those clubs would have been funnelled into the league that they were geographically tied to.

In recent years, these boundaries have gone right out the window as far as AFL Victoria is concerned and we have clubs from south west Gippsland playing teams form over the other side of the Dandenong ranges and also as far away as Doncaster.

Over time, the boundaries of the Southern and MPNFL have overlapped - maybe partially due to the fact that one was affiliated to metro footy (VMFL) and the other to country footy (VCFL).

If both leagues had been under the same peak body, I am sure that those clubs would have been funnelled into the league that they were geographically tied to.

In recent years, these boundaries have gone right out the window as far as AFL Victoria is concerned and we have clubs from south west Gippsland playing teams form over the other side of the Dandenong ranges and also as far away as Doncaster.

I reckon with MPNFL now looking to a third division, current SFNL clubs who would more than likely have been uncompetitive in the current MPNFL second division, are seeing an opportunity to now play closer to home and be competitive.

I reckon with MPNFL now looking to a third division, current SFNL clubs who would more than likely have been uncompetitive in the current MPNFL second division, are seeing an opportunity to now play closer to home and be competitive.

Having played in the Eastern Districts I am still surprised to see Clubs like Balwyn, Noble Park and Berwick in that comp. When I was a young fella we would pile into the back of a dad’s panel van and go out as far as Mulgrave, Scoresby and Lilydale if you played second division!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back