SNFL Div 2 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Add to that a poor percentage, as well as other results having to go there way.

EM missing the finals is an accurate reflection of how the year has gone. You don't drop your first 4 and expect to make finals.

Onwards and upwards in 2024.

I think we are looking at a finals team next year good core if they keep them together good young kids coming through

I think we are looking at a finals team next year good core if they keep them together good young kids coming through
Highly doubt it but hope I’m wrong .
Some seriously good top end talent, but the depth looks a serious issue,

Players going overseas surely isn’t an excuse it’s either players not doing the right thing and giving them notice or they knew and mismanaged the list.
Highett Hampton park and beena all look to have serious injury lists . Caulfield lost Dunn early. If EM lost Morrisby in round 3 like Caulfield lost dunn do they win a game ??

Highly doubt it but hope I’m wrong .
Some seriously good top end talent, but the depth looks a serious issue,

Players going overseas surely isn’t an excuse it’s either players not doing the right thing and giving them notice or they knew and mismanaged the list.
Highett Hampton park and beena all look to have serious injury lists . Caulfield lost Dunn early. If EM lost Morrisby in round 3 like Caulfield lost dunn do they win a game ??

Bainbrigde has been a very good forward for them and They got injuries of there own with Cranbourne potentially leaving southern and the possibility of two teams going up. They will be a better then stkilda city next year couple recruits and they will be in a good position

Bainbrigde has been a very good forward for them and They got injuries of there own with Cranbourne potentially leaving southern and the possibility of two teams going up. They will be a better then stkilda city next year couple recruits and they will be in a good position
Does east Malvern have a supporter or anyone who cares what happens to them next year
Never seen a club less supported

Add to that a poor percentage, as well as other results having to go there way.

EM missing the finals is an accurate reflection of how the year has gone. You don't drop your first 4 and expect to make finals.

Onwards and upwards in 2024.
Agree with that GY. List is very young. Depth needs to be addressed but 20+ OS. Time will tell if can keep them all together.

Agree with that GY. List is very young. Depth needs to be addressed but 20+ OS. Time will tell if can keep them all together.
East Malvern do not have 20+ overseas and injuries, that’s a joke. No one believes that dribble. I live around the corner so always keep a close eye on them.
They have played less players in their seniors than Hampton park and beena.
Their squad is where they deserve to be, loosing to black rock on the weekend shows they are a bottom 4 side and yes maybe 2 teams go up.

I called it in Feb east Malvern to finish second last in this forum and they have been better than I expected with their numbers in preseason but the club is a very long way off being successful.

Don’t rate the culture there, no crowd, coach is very average and squad depth is an issue.

East Malvern do not have 20+ overseas and injuries, that’s a joke. No one believes that dribble. I live around the corner so always keep a close eye on them.
Their squad is where they deserve to be, loosing to black rock on the weekend shows they are a bottom 4 side and yes maybe 2 teams go up.

I called it in Feb east Malvern to finish second last in this forum and they have been better than I expected with their numbers in preseason but the club is a very long way off being successful.

Don’t rate the culture there, no crowd, coach is very average and squad depth is an issue.
Interesting 1000 foot view. Depth is a challenge agree. The rest is an opinion which is fine albeit mis guided.

The club has many issues - Low supporter base, very little local talent, no junior affiliation and some very very strong VAFA clubs within a stones throw. In all fairness they do well to even survive.

The demographics of the area don't align to a suburban club being successful, I might get a whack for this but it's the truth. Times have changed and nearly every kid in the area goes to a private school and if they choose to play sport post Y12 they choose the old boys club with their mates.

The relationship with the junior club doesn't exist, the only ties are they play at the same ground. This has been the case for over a decade and isn't going to change anytime soon.

Last year was the hardest in the clubs history and dropping the first 4 this season many were wondering if the club was even going to be around for much longer. The have been able to play some good footy and win more games than most predicted, a new coach is always going to find it difficult especially when the nucleus of the team are always new recruits.

Division 2 is exactly where the club stands atm and playing in Div 1 would be nice but there is no point being a yo-yo team. The messages around the club are to re-build, become competitive again and when the time is right regain the clubs position as a Div 1 threat. All of this is still a long way off.

As I said in my previous post, onwards and upwards in 2024.

The club has many issues - Low supporter base, very little local talent, no junior affiliation and some very very strong VAFA clubs within a stones throw. In all fairness they do well to even survive.

The demographics of the area don't align to a suburban club being successful, I might get a whack for this but it's the truth. Times have changed and nearly every kid in the area goes to a private school and if they choose to play sport post Y12 they choose the old boys club with their mates.

The relationship with the junior club doesn't exist, the only ties are they play at the same ground. This has been the case for over a decade and isn't going to change anytime soon.

Last year was the hardest in the clubs history and dropping the first 4 this season many were wondering if the club was even going to be around for much longer. The have been able to play some good footy and win more games than most predicted, a new coach is always going to find it difficult especially when the nucleus of the team are always new recruits.

Division 2 is exactly where the club stands atm and playing in Div 1 would be nice but there is no point being a yo-yo team. The messages around the club are to re-build, become competitive again and when the time is right regain the clubs position as a Div 1 threat. All of this is still a long way off.

As I said in my previous post, onwards and upwards in 2024.

On face value some of your points are correct some are a fair bit off the mark. Anyway I guess we will see how things unfold over time. Maybe they will merge with de La 🤔

On face value some of your points are correct some are a fair bit off the mark. Anyway I guess we will see how things unfold over time. Maybe they will merge with de La 🤔

Where do you think I'm off the mark? Happy to understand where my knowledge of the club differs from yours.

East Malvern would fold before they merge with anyone.

What is your connection to East Malvern?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No official capacity at the club, nor have I ever held one.

Been heavily involved in the East Malvern Knights junior club through the years and watch a number of senior games throughout the year. I've had a good understanding of East Malvern since the Tooronga-Malvern, Malvern Sports Club days.

And welcome to Big Footy, congrats on your first post Bruce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure you keep a close enough eye on them because you clearly have no idea!

No official capacity at the club, nor have I ever held one.

Been heavily involved in the East Malvern Knights junior club through the years and watch a number of senior games throughout the year. I've had a good understanding of East Malvern since the Tooronga-Malvern, Malvern Sports Club days.

And welcome to Big Footy, congrats on your first post Bruce.

Hmm interesting!

I don't think it's as bad as it seems for East Malvern. Although I am not involved with the club at all and simply just a casual onlooker. Having a season like they did last year it was definitely in the realm of possibility for the double drop and who knows what can happen to a club then. I keep seeing claims that they have very little support at games? Why is that the case? Their rooms are some of the best going around and they have a deep history...

If they had beaten the Jets this week they still would've been in the hunt for finals. They lost the first 4 games but what can you expect for a team that simply forgot how to win. Get settled in Div 2 for a few years and try rebuild and recruit a committed young group of players and then go again for Div 1. They also need more depth by the looks of things. No team in the top divisions should be forfeiting their 2s.

Also how good for Black Rock to get their first wins for both sides on the weekend. I'm sure the bar would have been drunk dry. Hope they all had a great night.

I don't think it's as bad as it seems for East Malvern. Although I am not involved with the club at all and simply just a casual onlooker. Having a season like they did last year it was definitely in the realm of possibility for the double drop and who knows what can happen to a club then. I keep seeing claims that they have very little support at games? Why is that the case? Their rooms are some of the best going around and they have a deep history...

If they had beaten the Jets this week they still would've been in the hunt for finals. They lost the first 4 games but what can you expect for a team that simply forgot how to win. Get settled in Div 2 for a few years and try rebuild and recruit a committed young group of players and then go again for Div 1. They also need more depth by the looks of things. No team in the top divisions should be forfeiting their 2s.

Also how good for Black Rock to get their first wins for both sides on the weekend. I'm sure the bar would have been drunk dry. Hope they all had a great night.
Very balanced summary 👍. All clubs have there moments and after being a very competitive outfit in Div 1 for 10 years they are rebuilding. Two weeks out from finals can Doveton or Murrumbeena challenge EB??

Very balanced summary 👍. All clubs have there moments and after being a very competitive outfit in Div 1 for 10 years they are rebuilding. Two weeks out from finals can Doveton or Murrumbeena challenge EB??
Simple answer probably not Murrumbeena and Highetts injury list are huge. Doveton have the midfield to do it but if lamb and Corp kick straight they just are too powerful. EB skipper did his knee which is a huge loss for them but with the squad they have they are far too strong .

Really hope their books get an audit. Not a chance EB are under the cap.

Simple answer probably not Murrumbeena and Highetts injury list are huge. Doveton have the midfield to do it but if lamb and Corp kick straight they just are too powerful. EB skipper did his knee which is a huge loss for them but with the squad they have they are far too strong .

They will get audited for sure. All top teams do it comes back to what can be proven.

In essence, I believe the introduction of the salary cap has hurt East Malvern. They used to have one of the best coterie groups going around which included Mark MacLure & if rumours are true had a share in the racehorse Dissident. (not fact checked)

Players like Ryan Mullett, Chris Carey, Jim Dowling, Tremaine Tohlariki, Luke Duffy & the like are no longer gettable, trying to fit that kind of calibre in one side

Who is EBs captain? A real shame coming into finals but we know depth isn’t a problem for them.

Murrumbeena will have most of them back for finals I think the first final will be big because I think Highett will cause an upset second week

Last edited:
In essence, I believe the introduction of the salary cap has hurt East Malvern. They used to have one of the best coterie groups going around which included Mark MacLure & if rumours are true had a share in the racehorse Dissident. (not fact checked)

Players like Ryan Mullett, Chris Carey, Jim Dowling, Tremaine Tohlariki, Luke Duffy & the like are no longer gettable, trying to fit that kind of calibre in one side

Salary cap doesn’t stop you having a coterie or recruiting. Sounds like they ran into some money and spent it on blokes who took the cash and then left the club with no lasting legacy.

Kai Li
Who is EBs captain? A real shame coming into finals but we know depth isn’t a problem for them.

Murrumbeena will have most of them back for finals I think the first final will be big because I think Highett will cause an upset second week

Capt is Kai Love Linay, last year won his 2nd bnf
East Bri have a number of injuries but most should be back for finals

The superstar FF for Beena will be back for finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back