SNFL Div 2 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

When we (Highett) played them at EM, we outnumbered them 3 to 1 in the rooms after the game. In the return game, they had 1 player come up after that game and no supporters. Whoever is there isn’t invested.
When we (Highett) played them at EM, we outnumbered them 3 to 1 in the rooms after the game. In the return game, they had 1 player come up after that game and no supporters. Whoever is there isn’t invested.
Tough time for plenty of clubs at the moment with personal/volunteers! Bit of an insult to a club who would have people behind the scenes working hard to keep the club ticking.

Put yourself in great position both games just stopped running for 5-10 in the 3rd in both games and let them back in
Put yourself in great position both games just stopped running for 5-10 in the 3rd in both games and let them back in
Depth is an issue when we have injuries, we have most of our top end available apart from a couple who won’t be back, but about 6 solid first players out and we don’t have the depth to cover. we have seen the last 3 weeks that Beena, DOveton, HP and Highett are all pretty close. we beat Doveton, lost after the siren to HP and led Murrumbeena for most the game.

Tough time for plenty of clubs at the moment with personal/volunteers! Bit of an insult to a club who would have people behind the scenes working hard to keep the club ticking.
Just facts. They weren’t there, especially the players who I was mainly referring to. I’m a volunteer myself that puts a ton of time in. We make it a point of coming into the away rooms after the game to support the other club.

Last edited:
Depth is an issue when we have injuries, we have most of our top end available apart from a couple who won’t be back, but about 6 solid first players out and we don’t have the depth to cover. we have seen the last 3 weeks that Beena, DOveton, HP and Highett are all pretty close. we beat Doveton, lost after the siren to HP and led Murrumbeena for most the game.
Highett are defiently a dangerous side. They have not been able to knock off a big scalp but if they are healthy at the right time there is no doubt they can.

Is there any news on on the following injuries/ players who didn’t play on the weekend ? Will they all be back for finals?

Highett- Brown, Hoar ?
Beena - Pollard, Tolongs?
East Brighton R. semmel, Head ?
Doveton - Pattinson?
HP- Carver ?

Highett are defiently a dangerous side. They have not been able to knock off a big scalp but if they are healthy at the right time there is no doubt they can.

Is there any news on on the following injuries/ players who didn’t play on the weekend ? Will they all be back for finals?

Highett- Brown, Hoar ?
Doveton - Pattinson?
HP- Carver ?
Toolongs back for finals

Highett- Brown, Hoar ?
Doveton - Pattinson?
HP- Carver ?
Semmell Douthie Backman maybe rd 18
Head & Roberts week one of finals

Last edited:
What say you on East Malvern? Where do the problems lie and what potential growth opportunities are available to them?
Problems or a club in transition. Appreciate you have had doomsday theory running for a while but as with most it’s a journey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highett- Brown, Hoar ?
Doveton - Pattinson?
HP- Carver ?
Brown should be back, Hoar is done for the year.

Highett- Brown, Hoar ?
Doveton - Pattinson?
HP- Carver ?
Carver done for the year and not sure on Patto as not sure football is a priority after his father passed away recently

The club has many issues - Low supporter base, very little local talent, no junior affiliation and some very very strong VAFA clubs within a stones throw. In all fairness they do well to even survive.

The demographics of the area don't align to a suburban club being successful, I might get a whack for this but it's the truth. Times have changed and nearly every kid in the area goes to a private school and if they choose to play sport post Y12 they choose the old boys club with their mates.

The relationship with the junior club doesn't exist, the only ties are they play at the same ground. This has been the case for over a decade and isn't going to change anytime soon.

Last year was the hardest in the clubs history and dropping the first 4 this season many were wondering if the club was even going to be around for much longer. The have been able to play some good footy and win more games than most predicted, a new coach is always going to find it difficult especially when the nucleus of the team are always new recruits.

Division 2 is exactly where the club stands atm and playing in Div 1 would be nice but there is no point being a yo-yo team. The messages around the club are to re-build, become competitive again and when the time is right regain the clubs position as a Div 1 threat. All of this is still a long way off.

As I said in my previous post, onwards and upwards in 2024.
This is very accurate, importantly the lack of affiliation with the junior club.

The Knights go from having 3 or 4 teams at under 11/12/13 level, to struggling to field a single team by the under 16's.

Conversely, Murrumbeena have fielded an Under 19 team the last three years, with a handful of players each year remaining at the club after their final Under 17 year at the junior club - this includes kids who attended Private schools but choose to remain at Murrumbeena instead of playing at the Old Boys VAFA Clubs. 8 players 20 years old or under have played senior games at Murrumbeena this year who have gone directly from Under 17 to Under 19 to Seniors. Engagement between the junior and senior clubs has improved significantly in this time, including a number of senior players coaching the junior teams.

EM coach spruiking they will go on a big spending spree next year
This is very accurate, importantly the lack of affiliation with the junior club.

The Knights go from having 3 or 4 teams at under 11/12/13 level, to struggling to field a single team by the under 16's.

Conversely, Murrumbeena have fielded an Under 19 team the last three years, with a handful of players each year remaining at the club after their final Under 17 year at the junior club - this includes kids who attended Private schools but choose to remain at Murrumbeena instead of playing at the Old Boys VAFA Clubs. 8 players 20 years old or under have played senior games at Murrumbeena this year who have gone directly from Under 17 to Under 19 to Seniors. Engagement between the junior and senior clubs has improved significantly in this time, including a number of senior players coaching the junior teams.
What is affiliation with juniors. Do you have insight

It also needs to be acknowledged that Tooronga-Malvern and East Malvern junior football club have never been officially aligned (the same club). The knights moved to DW Lucas in the early 90's as I believe it was directive (from football Victoria) that senior clubs needed to operate with a junior club/affiliation.

Well done to Murrumbeena on fostering a strong relationship with the juniors and seeing a number of players graduate to the 1st XVIII

It also needs to be acknowledged that Tooronga-Malvern and East Malvern junior football club have never been officially aligned (the same club). The knights moved to DW Lucas in the early 90's as I believe it was directive (from football Victoria) that senior clubs needed to operate with a junior club/affiliation.

Well done to Murrumbeena on fostering a strong relationship with the juniors and seeing a number of players graduate to the 1st XVIII
Half correct again

I stand corrected. I have re read and 10% is correct which is the juniors moved to DW Lucas in early nineties.

hahahaha - very confident that what I have written is correct.

The only piece I think might require a little clarification was the directive from FV at the time.

I'm sure the congratulations to Murrumbeena was certainly in order.

You certainly seem to know all, but will not shed any light on any of the topics raised. No one wants to see a club go to the wall, especially one that has one of the biggest junior programs in the state on its doorstep.

You may call me the dooms dayer of East Malvern yet no one has defended the clubs position or given anyone insight to what we are all obviously missing. Just a number of cryptic posts that in all honesty are the poorest rebuttal I've seen posted on this forum.

Onwards and upwards in 2024

That’s very promising .
St Paul’s, Caulfield and East Brighton have very strong junior programs and have struggled for years to get under 19s working.
Surprising that Murrumbeenas under 19s are top 4 only behind D1 clubs, they must be doing something right.

Highett and Murrumbeena both have 4 men’s teams (seniors, reserves , thirds and 19s) yet in comparison EM at times have struggled to field reserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back