SNFL Div 4 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats the answer here? I've seen SFL handing down bigger suspensions but its not working. It seems to be getting worse. Is it just a case of all games now tapes so can see incidents? But honestly what do you do. Fine the club? Life suspended any player doing any kind of punching? This fighting macho bullshit is just not footy anymore and for good. Its absolutely not acceptable. All clubs say they don't tolerate this behavior but nothing seems to be done about it. Does the league now have to look at all little shirt grab and tugs and give strikes and if you have 2 or more of those you get suspended, try to stop it escalating in the moment? Do clubs actually see that culture of looking for a fight and bite the bullet tell em if they get into anymore they'll be kicked out of the club? I'm scratching my head how to get through to players. Its clearly a leadership from team and club issue that needs to step up and say hey that ain't cool bananas but end of the day most clubs are all boysy boy mates, how can you tell your mate you've knows for years 'hey you gotta leave the club' its a shit spot to be in.

We all deserve to play and watch the game we love, the greatest game on earth in a safe environment.

I’d be going to have a coffee with the NFNL people (or those that were there at the time). They had significant issues in the DVFL days with on field violence and while not perfect, it has been cleaned up considerably.

For starters

- Keep up the suspensions. It may not seem like they’re working but you can’t go soft on it. You have to keep rubbing out players who break the rules with violence.

- All games filmed (if they aren’t already) plus a HD fixed camera down the ground to capture anything off the ball. All teams and players should know that anything they do on the field will be captured on camera.

- enlist the local police with a statement about violence. Any repeat offenders should bypass the tribunal and be referred to police instead. Implement a stand-down rule to bar any player from playing while a police investigation is ongoing. If violence is occurring then police will support this as a deterrent measure

- if there are certain clubs that clearly have an issue with large numbers of suspensions, then you have to force them to control it. Very real responses like expulsion from the league should be an option. It has happened at various times throughout the decades and it’s not a good outcome but sometimes required. Assist and support these clubs with kicking players out if they are trying to do so.

These things might be league wide or might be concentrated on divisions or clubs who are clearly problems.

You just have to keep the foot down on it to make it change, it takes time, any league with issues has to make a stand on it. The alternative is slow decline as players and even clubs elect to leave the league.

I’d be going to have a coffee with the NFNL people (or those that were there at the time). They had significant issues in the DVFL days with on field violence and while not perfect, it has been cleaned up considerably.

For starters

- Keep up the suspensions. It may not seem like they’re working but you can’t go soft on it. You have to keep rubbing out players who break the rules with violence.

- All games filmed (if they aren’t already) plus a HD fixed camera down the ground to capture anything off the ball. All teams and players should know that anything they do on the field will be captured on camera.

- enlist the local police with a statement about violence. Any repeat offenders should bypass the tribunal and be referred to police instead. Implement a stand-down rule to bar any player from playing while a police investigation is ongoing. If violence is occurring then police will support this as a deterrent measure

- if there are certain clubs that clearly have an issue with large numbers of suspensions, then you have to force them to control it. Very real responses like expulsion from the league should be an option. It has happened at various times throughout the decades and it’s not a good outcome but sometimes required. Assist and support these clubs with kicking players out if they are trying to do so.

These things might be league wide or might be concentrated on divisions or clubs who are clearly problems.

You just have to keep the foot down on it to make it change, it takes time, any league with issues has to make a stand on it. The alternative is slow decline as players and even clubs elect to leave the league.
I like where you are going with this but see a couple of flaws in your suggestions

Having a fixed HD camera looking down the ground may capture some off the ball incidents but there's potentially 34 other players, 3 umpires, a goal umpire, 2 runners & 2 water carriers that may get in the road of the incident. Makes it a futile exercise in some instances

I think enlisting the police would be an excellent idea except Victoria Police are down on members as it is & won't extra an extra 40 officers numbers to view local footy games, especially every game & especially where they could be utilised elsewhere. What ever happened to SFNL board members travelling from game to game on a Saturday??

I like where you are going with this but see a couple of flaws in your suggestions

Having a fixed HD camera looking down the ground may capture some off the ball incidents but there's potentially 34 other players, 3 umpires, a goal umpire, 2 runners & 2 water carriers that may get in the road of the incident. Makes it a futile exercise in some instances

I think enlisting the police would be an excellent idea except Victoria Police are down on members as it is & won't extra an extra 40 officers numbers to view local footy games, especially every game & especially where they could be utilised elsewhere. What ever happened to SFNL board members travelling from game to game on a Saturday??

The cameras work, especiallly from an elevated position (large tripod on the back of a van or ute). They’re a great deterrent too.

The cops don’t have to do anything, they’re simply in on the strategy and happy to get involved when the league sees fit to refer incidents to them. They’re certainly not watching vision. Any potential incidents are simply referred by the umpires to a match review officer who then recommends a tribunal charge or a referral to police. The umpires don’t even have to see anything, simply note the time of the potential incident so it can be reviewed.

Good discussions. The elevated camera at one end covering the field would be great, big fan.

Giving someone a right hook and clipping their jaw/head isn’t a 5-6 week suspension… it’s a have the rest of the season off you peanut.

A bit of heated push and shove is part of the game. As soon as you start swinging with closed fists you revoke your right to play the game, plain and simple.

With the current cost of living crises, young blokes are now choosing to work on Saturdays for a bit of extra coin over having a kick, especially when they know they are coming up against a club with a history of thuggery and cheap shots off the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the hammers will go through undefeated, Moorabbin at their very best are the only ones to get close to them and that probably won’t happen again. I really thought Lyndale might have put up a contest but hammers a class and a half above them.

Looks like the hammers will go through undefeated, Moorabbin at their very best are the only ones to get close to them and that probably won’t happen again. I really thought Lyndale might have put up a contest but hammers a class and a half above them.
Hallam vs hampton gf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back