Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Just noticed you had McLaren at #37.

Many Phantoms aren't touching him at all but I wouldn't be against us picking him up at #61/#65
Can understand those that may knock him as he does seem to get lost a little at times, but he may just be a project player worth taking.
Moves very well for a big man and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty either.

Yeah he does he moves very well and in the games I have seen he has read the play really well at CHB and generally makes good decisions. hasn't had a lot of exposure and i think its why some stay away but he can play.

Yeah I think melbourne dont lose do they. 2 terrific picks and I really would like to see Lever as one of those.

Do you worry McCartin / Hogan are very similar.

I reckon a really bold decision would be to take McCartin and Lever.

Couldnt see us passing on Brayshaw - whichever way we go with pick 3. We are so light on for quality in the middle. Either way, pick 40 also seems a good spot to still nab a reasonable quality slider in this draft.

I'm not concerned about Hogan and McCartin being too similar at all. The only issues would be that neither are very tall (194cm & 192cm approx), and neither have big vertical leaps to come over the top of large packs.

Hogan is a running machine for his size though - and will spend his time leading up to the wings. Whereas McCartin will control the forward 50. I think we need another forward/ruck coming through to help Max Gawn with the height and pack situations.

No probs - happy with Fremantle selections?

I think the big issue for them is do they take one of Durdin or Goddard if there or grab a gun mid and wait until a bit later on to grab a key defender. I think there are a number of good tall backs in this draft who will be around from Rd 2 onwards (McDonald, Ramsay, Buykx-Smith, Neilson etc).

I really like the selections. The dockers still have a best available player policy with first round picks and may go with DeGoey, but for me go tall.

Yeah I think melbourne dont lose do they. 2 terrific picks and I really would like to see Lever as one of those.

I don't really see McCartin and Hogan as being too similar. Hogan has the fitness and running capacity to play further up the ground (he's been beating many of the midfielders in running so far this pre-season) whilst I see McCartin playing closer to goals.

I actually wouldn't mind us going with two mids say Laverde or even Cockatoo, but whether we go tall or night we'll be improving the squad

Keitel I don't expect to go so high (more likely around pick 40, perhaps later would be my best guess).

Sean McLaren while Sydney need another key defender I'm not certain he goes that high although I understand the theory behind it.

D.McKenzie, Vickers-Willis, Lonie and Miller could be among those who could go higher. Howe and Drummond from the later rounds could be real risers also.

But in the most part I think you've got the draft positioning pretty much where they should be.

Thats better.

Yeah I am out on a limb with Keitel and SM but when I went through what clubs were looking for and the players who might fit that need and in the range they were the two I kept coming back to.

I think Keitel range is 20-40 and Sean is probably 35+ so both ended up the top of the range based on clubs needs. In saying that I really rate both of them for their poise and decision making and think they both have significant upside. Keitel can play either end and I think he will physically become quite athletic and imposing key position. McLaren is more limited in positional scope but has the same tools.

Mckenzie he is like a few in this draft. His best is v good but the consistency is the question and hence couldnt put him ahead of others.
EVW - I think I have him to low but he is very to peg for a position. If he is going to be a third tall defender I just couldnt find a slot for him but if a side sees him as a mid he rises.
Miller - I think his height and pace might keep him back.
Lonie - I just probably not as keen as others are on him.

Excellent effort mate! I've been hanging out for your take and you certainly exceeded expectations! A real bonus for the additional analysis on the rooks too!

From a Pies perspective, you have Leverde at 5 (fingers crossed we get him) and that's a no brainer, although I'd take Pickett (no worries) if GWS snared Leverde @ 4. However, and more interesting you suggested Dillon Viojo-Rainbow might go @ 30 when many believe someone like Cavka or Blakely will slide and fall around that location. You must really rate Cavka thinking he could go as high as the teens? I guess that was the biggest surprise for me in your top 30.

Personally, I'm a real fan on Connor Menadue, and I think he'll develop into a long lasting and regular player in any senior AFL team that select him..... Do you really think he'll slip through to 29? (I'm hoping he may go one further and we get him @ 30), but realstically I'm thinking he might fall as high as 20-25.... Placing Menadue at 29, is that because you believe he is a longer term prospect that might need building up/developing over a couple of years cause he's basically a featherweight @ 69kgs? He did blitz @ the combine too! I think he would be a terrific acquisition @ Pie land as a line breaker/link man through the midfield!

Bampton is an interesting prospect at 48. I'd certainly rather be playing with him than against him!! Put it that way. A big Rene Kink type bodied lad like him would be awesome on the inside and the 'footsteps' factor may make a lot of opponents near him think twice about physical contests too.

My big concern however is his disposal. I know he has a lot of potential, but I'm just not sold that he could go as high as 30 as efficient disposal is a key area of focus these days and it's a basic essential that may outwiegh his positives. Do you think he could improve in this area enough to make the grade?

By the way (and soz for the rant), who do you think are the Gems in this draft? i.e. Just a handful of guys that have possibly been overlooked thus far as low draft picks (40 - 60 range) that may surprise and be picked up heaps early?

yeah menadue is one of those ones who a club could just take a real fancy to and take him quite high. For me he comes into play at Essendon's first selection but he is out by 30 so he is at the bottom of that range in my draft. he slid bc I tend to favour those who have results, been consistent, test well and have the traits that I think clubs look for. As I said also that 15-30 range is a 'crap shoot' for mine.

cavka I am a real fan of. not sure if you saw his finals but he was arguably the best player in that finals series and did some amazing things. i think he is a Zaharakis sort of player but maybe not quite as quick but still has the speed and of course has elite endurance. physically think he ticks the boxes and competes well but he has shown an a real offensive flair and wingmen who can and back themselves to push up I rate. Again he could be there at 30 as he is in the range.

Blakely i actually had at our pick for a while. i am led to believe his testing over 20m wasnt great but since been told it was better and I think that pushes him up. Also think its a good fit for Carlton and with he and Cripps they have those really elite inside mids locked away. That was Norths strategy and I think Saints as well.

Viojo I think is a beautifully skilled player. Whenever I have seen him I think that is his weapon. He reminds a little of Peter Matera. Just has that real run, speed and skill. He is probably in the 25-40 range so have him a bit early but I really like him. I'd be just as happy to go with Menadue, Gore as well so I think its good to have that selection.

Bampton am a real fan of and he slides bc of his ball skill but I think its reasonable and you know Luke Ball wasnt a great ball user but there was and still is a role for those blokes in a team.

To your last point if had to pick 4 players from 40 to the end of the National as ones who could really jump out I would pick;

- Daniel Capiron. I think he is a beautifully balanced and skilled player with a great deal of scope to play a range of positions. He is a terrific kid and I think will excel in a club.

- Jaden McGrath. He has real speed this kid and he can carry a ball through dangerous positions. I think he will pick the tempo up and surprise a few but it will take 12 months.

- Marc Pittonet. I think he is the best ruck prospect in the draft. they typically go later and take time but I think he is good

- Peter Bampton. He is good to go and once he gets to an AFL club will really push in like Ollie Wines has. Just doesnt have Ollie ball skill but its still good enough
I think one of the really interesting questions will be what could have we gotten instead of Varcoe and Crisp with the selections we might otherwise of had.

Ie Varcoe effectivly cost us Dees pick 23 or thereabouts. What could we have landed in the draft for that.

You couldn't be unhappy with getting Rainbow and his lethal left foot at 30 and while elite ball users are what we are crying out for I still have hopes for Gore ahead of him at 30 to provide us with some possible instant midfield impact next year and another strong body around the stoppages.

Him, Freeman, Adams and Greenwood sounds good going forward in terms of midfield grunt.

Does Rainbow project as a midfielder going forward or at least a high possession wing?

We need his kicking ability for sure but not sure another back flanker is high on our list of needs.

Great job though Snoop!

I think Bampton does the same thing as Gore and he Bampton is there at the next selection allowing us to take speed and skill at #30. Bampton could play in our side next year. Blakely and Gore could as well.

Viojo has loads of scope but I think you want those guys running from HB and Wing to carry the ball fwd and deliver it well.

I don't think the contract has an effect. We gave Mooney a two year contract last year and not only did we not promote him, we delisted him at the end of the season.

Realistically I think we are going to go 39+5 and use the extra rookie spot for a mature back up ruckman. However for the purpose for your draft, the two glaring deficiencies in the last few years has been our midfield height & speed, so either another big bodied midfielder or a quick player (preferably both if there is one around late) would be the preference I think.

I think that is interesting and I think sometimes we overplay this height stuff in the middle.

As someone said to me recently who is heavily involved in recruiting / list mgmt etc said the media overplay Collingwoods perceived height in the midfield. His view was Collingwood last year had Beams, Pendles, Obrien, Swan, Sidebottom, Adams and Caf mostly in the middle / wing spots. His view was that when you compare the ave height of them to say Swans and Hawks Collingwood was bigger. To him the issue wasnt size it was more skill and speed. I agree with that. Obviously with Beams going we need another one but Greenwood isnt a midget so he kind of replaces that but we do lose Harry and Caf so for next year and onwards it needs to be fixed but Freeman isnt a midget and should come in.

Yeah I think a question Freo recruiters might be asking is do we take Durdin or Goddard if they are there or go for an elite midfielder.

A reasonable hypothetical might be;

Option 1 - Goddard / Durdin and Nelson

or

Option 2 - De Goey / Langford and McDonald / Ramsay / Nielson

Agree that is our dilemma. My thoughts regarding them;

Option 1; If either Goddard or Durdin have the potential to become decent forwards, or swingmen, then this is a good option. Even if they do not we have plenty of grunt style tall defenders with Silvagni and Dawson, plus Smith developing. These two project as a classier option, and given that it is MacPharlin (and in the not so distant future MJ) that we are replacing, that is not a bad option for the club to take. Prefer Durdin, and in your draft would question if Geelong would not choose the local guy if they are that close in terms of quality, although the Cats don't seem fussed over that kind of thing. Both seem excellent prospects. Some terrific prospects available at our 2nd pick in terms of mids.

Option 2; de Goey and Langford look very exciting and look certain to have terrific AFL careers. Hard to pass up if available, and I would not be unhappy if we went this route. Probably prefer de Goey as he seems more developed, although neither need to have an immediate impact. If we did go Option 2 then I see it as a massive vote of confidence in Apeness and Taberner, and perhaps even A Pearce as an option. None of the talls you suggest being available at this range project as KPF options. Perhaps Keitel may still be available, but becomes a gamble to rely on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have Gartlett at 25 to NM, do you think that one of the WA teams wont take him rnd1? If WCE cant get Pickett, would they consider Gartlett? What other teams do you think most need outside run & finishing?

No relation. Similar builds though and has been a big improver. Fancy he may go late in the National on his upside.

Anderson I could really see at Port. He is a tempo changer and will be a really hard match up 1:1 when he fills out. Some of his senior WAFL games been v impressive.

Anderson I was initially red hot on but apparently he has got a really bad attitude and lacks maturity; rumours he missed some of the tests at the combine on purpose. I don't see how moving him interstate would change this but who knows. Markov I reckon is a lock in for a later pick for us I love how his bursts speed I think he is moving down the draft order due to the lack of footy he has played; the 2 collarbones aswell as being described as more of an athlete than a footballer but wouldn't be disappointed with any of those two.

Great effort mate
Marchbank is a ripper I just think Essendon are strong in his type but he is worthy of pick 20
Do you think more recycled types may be looked at in rookie draft?
I reckon brown hardingham Schroder tapscott lucas petrenko and maybe even McLean might get looked at.

Melbourne need mids, mids and more mids. That said, Hogan and McCartin would be a dream.

You're probably too young to remember Dunstall, Lockett and Brereton all firing at the G versus SA in one of the iconic state matches. People were doubtful before the match as to how they'd fit together. If they're good enough it's a Godsend, not the opposite.

McCartin stays closer to goals while Hogan roams the front half.

What no love for Shillabeer 194cm 95kg?
The greatest forward in the whole SANFL?
Averages 15.5 disposals, 9.5 marks per game, 6 CP, 9.5 UP, 5 goals, 2B, 2.5 Tackles, 3.5 I50s.
The man is a star ...

Viojo I think is a beautifully skilled player. Whenever I have seen him I think that is his weapon. He reminds a little of Peter Matera. Just has that real run, speed and skill. He is probably in the 25-40 range so have him a bit early but I really like him. I'd be just as happy to go with Menadue, Gore as well so I think its good to have that selection.

Where do we sign? Peter Matera one of the best players I've seen -unbiased ofcoursee ;)

Try again.................You've sold me if he reminds you of Peter Matera. All time great

Great read as always Snoop Dog, thanks for the effort. Appreciated your write-ups of Durdin and Wright, they seem to be getting the extra scrutiny given they were touted early and have suffered, however as long term prospects I still believe they deserve high ratings given the athleticism and skill they exhibit at their size. Are there any other players you view as being "over analysed"?

Btw, love the selection you gave WCE. Believe Weller can eventually be the best mid out of the draft if developed correctly and fits WCE needs too.
West Coast developing someone correctly would make a nice change from recent times...

I think one of the really interesting questions will be what could have we gotten instead of Varcoe and Crisp with the selections we might otherwise of had.

Ie Varcoe effectivly cost us Dees pick 23 or thereabouts. What could we have landed in the draft for that.

Yep I for one thought the Pies got shafted out of the trade. Injury prone player who didn't get a lot of kicks playing for one of the great sides - not really what you want from an outside player

Remove this Banner Ad

Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back