Autopsy So so so close (Please read OP)

Is it time to move on and lock the thread?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on a wonderful season. You should all be extremely proud. It will hurt like hell until next season starts but with a leader like Buckley at the helm you will challenge again next year and beyond. Your list is in great shape. You just lost a gf by 5 points, with guys like Mayne (who’s been brilliant second half of the season), Cox, mihocek, sier, Aish, Goldsack after a knee in February and after a season which saw your team decimated by injury. Good luck in 2019.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sucks but IF Eagles kicked straight in last Qtr we would of Lost by 2-3 Goals. and Outside of Start they out played for 3 Qtrs

Sad to see us lose like that but I say the Better Team Won and they have had our Number in all 3 Games.

Was Super Pissed after Win but after bit of Relflaxing I felt proud how we went this season. Miles better then I ever thought.

Plus getting that close to a Flag with not being close to our Best Team is a Huge Effort.

Some Players I think be Disappointed in there game today and they where

• Grundy - Still a Huge Fan but Vardy and Lycett did a number on him. They did the Same thing vs Gawn last week and I think that is the Biggest Reason they won the Flag as there Rucks stopped Grundy and Gawn Influence
  • JT and Miocheck - Tried Hard but thought both was Beaten
  • Pendles - Does not look like the player he used to be 1-2 Seasons Ago
  • Cox - Yes Kicked 2 and Took some marks late but out of that was Quiet

Here are the Players I was very Proud Of"

• Mayne - I was a Massive Critic this time last year but I really thought he played well
  • Adams - Massive Game and was our Heart and Soul
  • Sier - Was Patchy but did some really classy things
  • Stephenson - Excitment Machine but being a Rookie was bit Skinny/Not Strong Enough to have more of a Influence
  • Langdon - Disposal gets me Worried but was Huge taking Marks late in the Game

Though the loss was a Typical Collingwood GF Loss - Getting Pipped
Very well said TD and a good sensible summary of the game.

I spent today with Mrs Slabs and her family (three generations of black and white)

To the umpires don't pay a friggin 50 when you haven't been paying them all day. If it was consistent okay but that was utter crap. Pity that in in the last quarter they felt the need to influence the outcome.

Feeling for you as I comfort my magpie Miss 9 ............

I've been able to hold it in since the game. Not after seeing that. What a class act

I would not blame Woodard for that. Not sure Stephenson would of got there.

Main problem was a Shocking Kick by Adams

While this might be a bit of sour grapes, Woodward needs to never be a runner again for the Pies absolute ******* idiotic mistake. Cost us a chance to kill that contest.

Not sure Stephenson would have gotten there anyway, irrespective of the shepherd.

I spent today with Mrs Slabs and her family (three generations of black and white)

To the umpires don't pay a friggin 50 when you haven't been paying them all day. If it was consistent okay but that was utter crap. Pity that in in the last quarter they felt the need to influence the outcome.

Feeling for you as I comfort my magpie Miss 9 ............
Couldn’t not call the 50 if it wasn’t play on, which the umpire had admittedly not called. No issues there. What I took issue with is the umpire did pretty much the complete opposite with the Grundy holding the ball where they called play on after an Eagles bloke was already hanging off him.

As I’ve said before, swings and roundabouts though. I remember a few throws in defence which could have been paid to the Eagles benefit too.

Feeling very deflated and drained at the moment. I bawled my eyes out in my seat at the end. I've never left a ground feeling as disappointed and shattered as I did today. I'll be back to do it all again next year, but this loss will take some time to sink in and move on from. Just can't get my head around the fact that we led for 104 minutes, and the Eagles were only in front for 9 minutes all day.

The year itself has been outstanding. The last four years were consistent mediocrity and the lingering uncertainty of whether we were moving in the right direction as a football club. It was satisfying seeing our young and talented squad surge up the ladder and continually defy their critics along the way. We as a club should be proud of how far we've progressed this year, but the feelings at the moment are overwhelming sadness and the pain is still very raw.

In terms of the match, we couldn't have asked for a better start. To have five goals on the scoreboard before West Coast got on the board was fantastic. However, the Eagles ability to adapt and settle by flooding in the first half quelled our momentum. After quarter time, the match became a real grind and we seemed to be back on the back foot despite leading for an overwhelming majority of the match.

Langdon was outstanding and our best player today. P4S' praise and adoration for him has well and truly been vindicated. Also liked the games from Mayne, Adams, Treloar, Crisp and Cox.

Sidebottom and Pendlebury were well contained and had very little impact on the game sadly. Just like round 17 this year, the Eagles ability to curtail the influence on both players was a big reason for their victory. It's a pity that neither player could get off their leash and do some serious damage.

Pendles has been fecking shit the whole finals series barring the 2nd quarter against Richmond. I'm hoping we get 2010-2013 Pendles back next year because imo he had a pretty down year this year for his standards. He is growing as a leader at least.

De Goey is a bloody gun.

Aish and Greenwood non-existent.

Sidebottom tagged out of the game, oh well.

Mayne was BOG out of the Collingwood players I thought, and I'm his biggest critic.

Grundy looked hurt early on in the game and seemed to spend a lot more time than usual on the interchange bench.

Did anyone get injured?

Liam Ryan should get a suspension for that dirty bump - he did not go after the ball.

WTF happened for that last goal? He seemed to play on but then was allowed to go back and take a set shot. Also was that screen/block legal?
Greenwood was doing well on Yeo until he was moved on to Sheuy after half time.

WC were No 1 for marks, I knew going in that was going to be one of our biggest issues. They had 15 more marks inside 50 than we did which doesn't help.

While this might be a bit of sour grapes, Woodward needs to never be a runner again for the Pies absolute ******* idiotic mistake. Cost us a chance to kill that contest.
May well and probably should be back on an AFL list as a player next year. Would like for him to get the opportunity at the 'pies. Although he doesn't need to make amends, I reckon he'd be determined to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commiserations on the result.

You can be very proud of your players, Bucks, the other staff & of yourselves as a supporter group.

The future looks bright with some of the young talent coming through & hopefully a few less injuries next year.

Good luck in 2019
Thx Jezzza - have to say when I visited your board and the main board to post my congratulations 99% of the Westies posters we pure class - well played mate.

Grundy looked hurt early on in the game and seemed to spend a lot more time than usual on the interchange bench.

and Cox Rucked a Lot More then That

Aish and Greenwood non-existent.

What about Josh Thomas? Did he even Play?

Really proud of the boys this season and the effort today. Really good season but gutted about today, it was there to take and fell short and these chances are hard to get.
That said, they were the better team. They beat us 2 times this season and were better for 3/4 of the game I thought.
Outsiders may say that we failed, but the season was a success.
While some of our experienced guys like Pendles and Sidebottom were down.
I loved our future in Stephenson and DeGoey stepping up on the big stage and they will be big game players. Langdon was good and Cox was poor in the first half, but he turned it around and was huge in the 2nd half I thought.
Great year for the Pies. I hope this makes us stronger and they are up for the challenge next year as it will be harder with the fixture compared to this season.
Side by Side.

They were consistent in their interpretation the entire game, not sure why we should expect them to adjudicate differently on a decision in the last couple of minutes in the game.

Yeah I get this. I just thought what looked a clear hold/block would have been called (it’s kind of their job)

The talk about “not complaining about the umps” never made sense to me. They are an influence on the game like a player is. The umps have moments that matter like players do, they influence the contest like a player does.

Do I think we bombed away to their defense all day? Yep.

Should they have kicked straighter? For sure!

Do I think Pendles, Sidey (my boy), Grundy and a couple of others lowered their colours? Yep.

Did Sheed nail an absolute beauty late on to finish us? Yep.

Did the umps miss/not call a critical one? Not “supposed” to mention it...

and Cox Rucked a Lot More then That

What about Josh Thomas? Did he even Play?
Thomas is copping it unfairly.

Thought he was good, just unfortunate to have not made the most of his three shots on goal. All under immense pressure. Did some clever things.

One thing that's been overlooked, but how ****ing tough is Brayden Maynard? Got opened up at full force to the ribs in the first quarter and basically ran off the ground and came back on to play the rest of the game. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a broken rib or two after that.

I would not blame Woodard for that. Not sure Stephenson would of got there.

Main problem was a Shocking Kick by Adams
Yep, at the ground, as soon as he went to kick you could see what was going to happen. Stephenson wasn't even expecting it

serious question-why was your runner one of your vfl players who clearly couldn't have run too often during the season given all the vfl games he played?

Such a weird feeling, given the team and injuries we had all year, we really had no right to make the grand final.

On top of that we were pretty much out played for 3 quarters of the game and very lucky to still be in it at the end.

But time is linear and to have all that fall our way and then not take the chance is gutting. The fact that the final goal was a result of a very very poor umpiring decision makes it sting that little bit more.

Overachieving to make grand finals is a great thing (just like 02 and a few times in the 70s), I just wish that we could have turned a couple of them into premierships. Especially this one...

This mentality is why we've lost 27 grand finals.

Close is not good enough.

Not sure saying your proud equates to a declaration of acceptance that close enough is good enough. Maybe take a deep breath.

It's simple. All year we played selfless football and that last play by Degoey when he marked and played on was the most selfish football played all year. He could have handballed over the top, but his hot head tried the impossible, I love him and he will be a champion of the game, but he must learn from that error
Was it an error though?
If he had kicked it we would all be applauding his match winning goal.
He took on the responsibility and backed himself in.
I hope he never stops doing that.
That's what champions do, they back themselves, and more often than not it pays off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back