Autopsy So so so close (Please read OP)

Is it time to move on and lock the thread?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I'm as gutted - nay more gutted - than most of you here.

My first year of support for the Maggies was 1964 and so I've lived through pure hell for 54 years supporting our lads but you need to keep things in perspective.

Look at the number of GF's we have played in and the number of them we have lost . . .

Yes we have lost a lot - but that is because we have gotten to a lot more than other clubs.

Forget the infantile morons who regurgitate the same old tired bullshit and ESPECIALLY forget the culpable media who - although knowing different - actively reinforce that bullshit.

This club has - for it's entire history - made more GF's than others because of the heart we play with - MANY times we have made the big dance without the personnel that should have got us there - yet made it due to pride, desire and courage of the player list and administration.

Anyone who believes that this club lacks heart or desire is simply ignorant of the true nature of the Collingwood football club.

SIDE BY SIDE . . .

or for the few that can't understand the true meaning of that . . .

find a club like Melbourne or Carlton to follow, so that you can expect mediocrity as the norm.

Look I'm as gutted - nay more gutted - than most of you here.

My first year of support for the Maggies was 1964 and so I've lived through pure hell for 54 years supporting our lads but you need to keep things in perspective.

Look at the number of GF's we have played in and the number of them we have lost . . .

Yes we have lost a lot - but that is because we have gotten to a lot more than other clubs.

Forget the infantile morons who regurgitate the same old tired bullshit and ESPECIALLY forget the culpable media who - although knowing different - actively reinforce that bullshit.

This club has - for it's entire history - made more GF's than others because of the heart we play with - MANY times we have made the big dance without the personnel that should have got us there - yet made it due to pride, desire and courage of the player list and administration.

Anyone who believes that this club lacks heart or desire is simply ignorant of the true nature of the Collingwood football club.

SIDE BY SIDE . . .

or for the few that can't understand the true meaning of that . . .

find a club like Melbourne or Carlton to follow, so that you can expect mediocrity as the norm.
Stay strong.

Just to clarify, since 1964 the Pies have made 13 GFs and won 2. Only one AFL team has a better record (at 17 GFs for 12 wins).

Pies are going very well for sure.

Stay strong.

Just to clarify, since 1964 the Pies have made 13 GFs and won 2. Only one AFL team has a better record (at 17 GFs for 12 wins).

Pies are going very well for sure.
I was talking of our entire history - cherry picking is not my game - it's a matter of perspective really. Our historical perspective is longer than some clubs, seeing as we joined very early on.

As from 1897 we have appeared in 43 GF's that is an appearance ratio of 1 GF in every 2 - 3 years.

This loss stings and it will sting for a long, long time. Since my time following Collingwood I have now seen 4 losses, 1 draw and 1 win, this is considered good for a Collingwood fan (I am only 26). I don't know how the older fans do it, particularly those that grew up between 1958-1990 (like my father).

I am so heartbroken, it's like we need absolutely everything to go right for us win it. I will definitely pay my membership next year and continue to support this club but I think I need to take a step back from footy as this has broken me to the point I am not even looking forward to next year. Much love to all my fellow woodsmen and women.

This loss stings and it will sting for a long, long time. Since my time following Collingwood I have now seen 4 losses, 1 draw and 1 win, this is considered good for a Collingwood fan (I am only 26). I don't know how the older fans do it, particularly those that grew up between 1958-1990 (like my father).

I am so heartbroken, it's like we need absolutely everything to go right for us win it. I will definitely pay my membership next year and continue to support this club but I think I need to take a step back from footy as this has broken me to the point I am not even looking forward to next year. Much love to all my fellow woodsmen and women.

Good for you and hang in their buddy. I think I am up to 12 GF's with 2 wins - not a great ratio but there it is.

Have moved on from Saturday as the best team definitely won - good luck to them

We reload for 2019 - lots to look forward to. Carn the PIES !!!

Good for you and hang in their buddy. I think I am up to 12 GF's with 2 wins - not a great ratio but there it is.

You my friend are inflicted with something called the "Stockholm Sydrome".

I am still "mourning" this loss I will be joining you at some stage.

I was alive for 77 but thankfully have no memory.

So for those I genuinely "experienced" (80,81,90,02,03,10*2,11,18) I am 2 wins from 9. As I mentioned in my post after the game I was strangely calm afterwards as it's happened so many times before and I think I was mentally prepared for it . Sad but true.

I was alive for 77 but thankfully have no memory.

So for those I genuinely "experienced" (80,81,90,02,03,10*2,11,18) I am 2 wins from 9. As I mentioned in my post after the game I was strangely calm afterwards as it's happened so many times before and I think I was mentally prepared for it . Sad but true.
Yes, I was realtively calm immediately after. I think that watching the game, it was obvious from a long way out that we were struggling to hang in there. From halfway through the 2nd quarter, it was apparent that they were going to reel us in unless we somehow changed the way that game was being played. For short periods we managed to do that, but they were always able to wrestle back control.
I was heartbroken in 1970, 77,79 and 81 when I think we gave everything and were beaten by bad luck more than anything.
I was devaststed in 1980, 2003 and 2011 when I think we didn't perform to expectations.
In 2002 I was simply proud that the team had gotten that close - with an ounce of luck running the other way we could have pinched that one
This year feels close to 2002. We gave it our best shot. The other team were simply better and caught a few lucky breaks late.
It hurts to think of what could have been, but believe me to see them not give a yelp is far more painful and heartbreaking (1980 & 2003 in particular)

A choke is where you have control of the game, and fail to execute.

We were 29 points up. I’d say the only way you can discribe that loss is as a choke. If that was any other club, I’d be saying they choked when it mattered.

How the hell is sheed all on his own at half forward with less than 3 mins on the clock? Someone clearly forgot their assignment and pressed far too fwd based on treloar streaming fwd on the wing and kicking long to Mihochek.

I don’t think you can explain the two losses vs West Coast as anything other than chokes.We should have won both finals games vs West Coast.

We didn’t beat the eagles cause we didn’t step up in the 4th when it mattered. Simple as that. And that long bomb from the kick in that Shuey marked was pure panic “choke” mode.

And before you ban me again, or claim I’m not a Pies man, or sling me what ever insults you got my way - remember since 2014 we are 3-10 in games decided by 6 points or less. There’s a pattern forming yeah??

We fail to close out close games time and time again under Buckley. Simple as that. And I’m not even gonna bring up the red time goals, that has always been the Achilles heal of a Buckley coached side. Actually, let me talk Red time goals - we freely conceded red time goals to wce in 1st, 2nd and 4th qtrs.

Most of the boys played their guts out. No doubt about that. They should extremely proud of their effort. However, Pendlebury and Sidebottom choked massively on the big stage. And that’s not the first time Pendlebury has done that.

Based on Adams’ performance (even with the terrible kick up the middle in the 3rd) I think he deserves the captaincy next year. I can not imagine Maxwell or Tony Shaw putting in such a poor performance as Pendlebury did on Saturday. And that’s 2 too many poor performances from Pendlebury as captain in the finals series. Not good enough.

Welcome - Back

Somehow the first few paragraphs of your post were missed but I have added them below.

Well done to Bucks and the team. I hugely underestimated Bucks, and he should be congratulated, and I feel very disappointed and ashamed of my disrespectful, abusive, and unfairly critical posting earlier in the year.

Bucks I'm very sorry.

The fact that you surpassed my absurd pass mark that I insisted was necessary for a successful year ie reaching the Prelim. further reinforces how I completely underestimated your capacity as a coach, and that I really don't understand the game as well as I think.

I purposely established this unrealistic pass mark knowing it was impossible to achieve, so that I could continue the barrage against you at the end of the season. I had absolutely no expectation whatever that it could be achieved let alone surpassed, and now, I have to admit you have comprehensively extinguished my obsession for your sacking, with your outstanding Coaching performance in 2018.

It is my intention to start a new thread suggesting its time for your to get what you deserve - an immediate contract extension.

Last edited:
People questioning Pendles as captain :drunk:

Would you rather a alcohol-curfew-breaking, GF-choking simpleton like Walker in charge? :think:

Pendles is an outstanding leader and we are lucky to have him. There are multiple other clubs who would kill to have him leading their organisation.

So, Lethal and Walls have now both chimed in on the Rioli vs Maynard controversy saying it should have been a free to Maynard.

Well, not a thing we can do about it unfortunately.

However, maybe the boys could get together and make a Rioli rule (similar to the Kennet curse). Where they make a pact that no matter what, the Eagles shall never again win another game vs Collingwood as long as they take to the park.

Time for redemption.

So, Lethal and Walls have now both chimed in on the Rioli vs Maynard controversy saying it should have been a free to Maynard.

Well, not a thing we can do about it unfortunately.

However, maybe the boys could get together and make a Rioli rule (similar to the Kennet curse). Where they make a pact that no matter what, the Eagles shall never again win another game vs Collingwood as long as they take to the park.

Time for redemption.

As Chris Scott said on 360 last night - it would have been paid against Rioli in the regular season, so why not in finals.

And Gerad Heally said its a blight on the game when such a free kick is debatable and the rule needs to be tightened so that there is NO room for discretion.

Basically he was implying a GF effectively decided in this way is just wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12-2 is what my father would be on I reckon, and yes the best team definitely won. I honestly don't know how you guys butter up and go again after losing 12 GFs. This is not to say I am not proud of our boys or what we achieved this year, it's just for once I would like lady luck to be on our side on the last Saturday in September.

Welcome - Back

Somehow the first few paragraphs of your post were missed but I have added them below.

Well done to Bucks and the team. I hugely underestimated Bucks, and he should be congratulated, and I feel very disappointed and ashamed of my disrespectful, abusive, and unfairly critical posting earlier in the year.

Bucks I'm very sorry.

The fact that you surpassed my absurd pass mark that I insisted was necessary for a successful year ie reaching the Prelim. further reinforces how I completely underestimated your capacity as a coach, and that I really don't understand the game as well as I think.

I purposely established this unrealistic pass mark knowing it was impossible to achieve, so that I could continue the barrage against you at the end of the season. I had absolutely no expectation whatever that it could be achieved let alone surpassed, and now, I have to admit you have comprehensively extinguished my obsession for your sacking, with your outstanding Coaching performance in 2018.

It is my intention to start a new thread suggesting its time for your to get what you deserve - an immediate contract extension.

You out your mind if you think, getting Nick Maxwell and Longmuire to fix all the ills of this club deserves an extension. The guy is 0-3 in grand finals as a player and coach. And if you wanna be a smart arse and claim his role as an assistant in 2010/11, he’s 1-4-1.

Despite this lovefest for Bucks, and a great effort on Saturday, you can’t hide from the fact we choked when it mattered. I don’t care if Bucks is “all class”. How about you do what your paid for; win the cup.

What is it, 2 premierships from 14 grand finals since 1958? It’s not bloody good enough. It’s professional sport. The club even has “the premiership is a cakewalk” in the theme songs. We aren’t meant to be coming second.

Home deck, vs a weagles side that is hardly a powerhouse. This wasn’t the lions of 02/03 or cats 07 to 11 or hawks of 2012 to 2015.

Ripe for the picking, and when it mattered we couldn’t keep the ball off the eagles for 3 mins. We couldn’t keep the ball in our fwd half for 3 mins. We didn’t play the percentages and play the boundary line and make it stoppage after stoppage after stoppage. And in the end, Sheed is left all alone on the HFF. This isn’t bad luck. It’s bad planning.

3 wins and 10 losses since 2014 where the winning margin is 6 or less points. This loss was not bad luck, or the bounce of the ball. Out coached, and the game plan failed to stand up for 4 qtrs, yet again.

Taking away the great first 20 minutes of the first quarter, we were beaten 11.11-77 to 6.7-37. That is unacceptable. That is a choke job no matter how you spin it. 40 point turnaround with 1:38 left on the clock in the 1st qtr.

You can not have 40 point turnarounds in a Grand Final. If this was a Ross Lyon coach side, or anyone else for that matter, we’d be calling it what it is. A piss poor gameplan that over uses the ball and that’s only sustainable under pressure for 1 quarter in a GF.

At least in 1970, we can blame poor goal kicking and McKenna getting concussion. You cant seriously keep feeding the ego of Buckley with the “oh so brave so close bravo”. He failed to take the ultimate prize. Simple as that.

If Bucks can’t win it next year, and we can’t get Clarkson, we have to look to a Sam Mitchell or Luke Hodge to be the next coach of Collingwood.

It’s professional sport. It’s about winning cups. It’s not about being loyal to the nice guys that always end up the brides maid.

We are outsiders looking in.
I would say that the most important thing is that the playing group vote for him as their leader, which tells me he must be OK at it.
Also, not directed at you but as a general observation we do seem to have short memories.
A player can have one down performance and we forget the 200+ games of sheer pleasure they have provided us with.
Pendles has been captain for quite a few years now. If he wasn't a good captain he would have been moved on.
Pendlebury is also mentoring Jordan De Goey.

Been amazing watching some stick the boots into Pendlebury.

Shakes head

I don’t get why people are concerned about a harder draw. If you want to be the best, and be a deserving GF winner, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Basically what we are saying is that we only made it with an easy draw. So opposition supporters must be right.
I'll be glad to play Melbourne twice.

Eagles, Tigers ? Bring it on.

You out your mind if you think, getting Nick Maxwell and Longmuire to fix all the ills of this club deserves an extension. The guy is 0-3 in grand finals as a player and coach. And if you wanna be a smart arse and claim his role as an assistant in 2010/11, he’s 1-4-1.

Despite this lovefest for Bucks, and a great effort on Saturday, you can’t hide from the fact we choked when it mattered. I don’t care if Bucks is “all class”. How about you do what your paid for; win the cup.

What is it, 2 premierships from 14 grand finals since 1958? It’s not bloody good enough. It’s professional sport. The club even has “the premiership is a cakewalk” in the theme songs. We aren’t meant to be coming second.

Home deck, vs a weagles side that is hardly a powerhouse. This wasn’t the lions of 02/03 or cats 07 to 11 or hawks of 2012 to 2015.

Ripe for the picking, and when it mattered we couldn’t keep the ball off the eagles for 3 mins. We couldn’t keep the ball in our fwd half for 3 mins. We didn’t play the percentages and play the boundary line and make it stoppage after stoppage after stoppage. And in the end, Sheed is left all alone on the HFF. This isn’t bad luck. It’s bad planning.

3 wins and 10 losses since 2014 where the winning margin is 6 or less points. This loss was not bad luck, or the bounce of the ball. Out coached, and the game plan failed to stand up for 4 qtrs, yet again.

Taking away the great first 20 minutes of the first quarter, we were beaten 11.11-77 to 6.7-37. That is unacceptable. That is a choke job no matter how you spin it. 40 point turnaround with 1:38 left on the clock in the 1st qtr.

You can not have 40 point turnarounds in a Grand Final. If this was a Ross Lyon coach side, or anyone else for that matter, we’d be calling it what it is. A piss poor gameplan that over uses the ball and that’s only sustainable under pressure for 1 quarter in a GF.

At least in 1970, we can blame poor goal kicking and McKenna getting concussion. You cant seriously keep feeding the ego of Buckley with the “oh so brave so close bravo”. He failed to take the ultimate prize. Simple as that.

If Bucks can’t win it next year, and we can’t get Clarkson, we have to look to a Sam Mitchell or Luke Hodge to be the next coach of Collingwood.

It’s professional sport. It’s about winning cups. It’s not about being loyal to the nice guys that always end up the brides maid.
Can agree with you about Collingwood not being the Powerhouse it should be. Especially after 47 Grand Finals and what is it now? 27 losses. That really is a choke one way or another and it burns really bad.

Though I don’t think this is a way to put people to the stake. Lost this one too one way or another and yeah, gave up the lead and this happened and then whatever else.

It wasn’t our day and it can’t be turned around now.

Not saying we just lay down and take it without any resistance and without being pissed. But think that we weren’t even expecting to make finals this year yet we did.

Did we win the Premiership? No. Is losing good enough? No.

I think next year if we can’t back up a finals berth and then if we make the GF and piss it away, then some very big questions need to be asked about our administration and players.

Seem to remember 2002-2003 and we lost back to back. Took us another 7 yrs before we won the next.

Yes, i’m Sick and tired of not being the strong and powerful club that we really should be.

But i’m Certainly not going to eat my own in the process.

This club and Premierships mean a lot to me as i’m Sure many others. Club and players especially.

But there’s more to life than football. Aka First World Problems.

We're all hurting mate but you've lost the plot

We drastically overachieved for the season but once you're 5 goals up...

I can finish the sentence. Once you're 5 goals up...with 5-10 minutes to play in the first quarter your opponent still has over 3 quarters of football in which to settle their nerves and very, very gradually reel in what is really a modest lead in context of a four-quarter footy game.

It can happen, often does, and it happened on Saturday.

Know the feeling mate. I'm 24 myself and our GF records are exactly the same.

For some reason, this loss hurts more than the others I've seen in my lifetime :(

I think you should start a petition.

I know there is nothing we can do about it but our win loss ratio in GF's is unacceptable.
When we were 5 goals up in the first qtr I wasn't excited. I just knew we would blow it again. And we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back