So who's your 2nd club?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's weird. There's a lot of people out there who don't get what a slog it is. Following a team who is consistently garbage is rough. I have a lot of respect for week-in, week-out Richmond supporters - those who suffered through Wallace and kept showing up.

But most people don't get it. They lay into you for deciding not to show up in Rd21 on a freezing cold day to watch your team lose by 10 goals. If the shoe was on the other foot they would be making the same decisions. The media are particularly telling - the number of questions being asked over the Melbourne-GWS crowd was rough consider both seasons were over and Melbourne supporters are, for the most part, over it. There isn't much slack cut to supporters of rubbish teams - yet when only 20k show up to watch Hawthorn v GWS noone questions it.

It is very true. I think a home game against GWS is the best way to tell what a teams real supporter base is actually at and as you point out some of the bigger Melbourne clubs have had poor crowds against GWS and they have not had the full season of disappointments to go with it.

If I were a Melbourne supporter I would feel a bit flat after about Round 16. Still your team did improve a lot this year and is showing a lot of positives so that must be nice for you guys.

I have a lot of respect for people who have been supporting clubs like Melbourne for over a decade (in your case even more). Oddly enough I don't feel the same about Carlton fans as they seem to have this unwarranted aura of arrogance about them.

Carlton were crap in the '00s but basically not long enough for the arrogance of the previous decades to wear off (played finals in 2001 and were back playing finals in 2009). It's only now things have completely fallen apart again the arrogance is diminishing.

Doggies. They're sort of local and I love what they've done under Bevo this year.
Take a bit of a passing interest in GWS too, due to aconnection with one of the players' family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brions, because they're continuously shafted by the Vics and the AFL.
Shafted? How is players leaving getting shafted by the AFL? Shit culture means players will leave.

This is the club that bent my team over last year for Christensen and I do not care what happens to them. They're the only club I'd get enjoyment out of seeing fold.

Used to be Geelong in the 90's/00's but they have had a bit of success since then.

I'd like to see the Dog's get up, and I have a strange admiration for the Pies.

Shafted? How is players leaving getting shafted by the AFL? Shit culture means players will leave.

This is the club that bent my team over last year for Christensen and I do not care what happens to them. They're the only club I'd get enjoyment out of seeing fold.

Christensen may have been a little undervalued, but your club made the trade and brought in Rhys Stanley with the pick, so they were clearly happy to do it. Good result for both parties imo. Either way, you'd seriously be happy to see a team fold over something so petty? Wow. Mate, GWS gave Sydney pick 35 (I think it was) for Shane Mumford. Does that mean I want to see them fold? Absolutely not. I still want to see them succeed.

Sure, players leaving isn't the AFL's fault, but look at their start to next year already. West Coast in Perth, and North Melbourne. Going by Brisbane's recent history, that's season over after two games. Also, the AFL does absolutely nothing to improve Brisbane's market. The sport is almost dead here, and what does the AFL do? Introduce a system that makes it more difficult to get their academy players, then Victorians still kick up a stink when the Lions ensure they have the points to get them anyway.

It's an everchanging team for most people I would think. Everyone likes an underdog so the historically poor performing teams showing a glimpse feature for me. Western Bulldogs, Fremantle etc. When Melbourne are finally done with Roos and have an attacking game plan they will be of interest for me.

On the other end of the scale no-one will like Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney because they've had their time in the sun.

used to be West Coast when I was a kid and thought you could have a second team :D

Carlton was my inherited second team from the days of the family following Port in SA and Carlton in the VFL but nahhhhhhh

Despite our historical rivalry, I've always been a fan of the Saints. Probably because of the Hall, Plugger, Schneider, Dempster connections over the past couple of decades.

Christensen may have been a little undervalued, but your club made the trade and brought in Rhys Stanley with the pick, so they were clearly happy to do it. Good result for both parties imo. Either way, you'd seriously be happy to see a team fold over something so petty? Wow. Mate, GWS gave Sydney pick 35 (I think it was) for Shane Mumford. Does that mean I want to see them fold? Absolutely not. I still want to see them succeed.

Sure, players leaving isn't the AFL's fault, but look at their start to next year already. West Coast in Perth, and North Melbourne. Going by Brisbane's recent history, that's season over after two games. Also, the AFL does absolutely nothing to improve Brisbane's market. The sport is almost dead here, and what does the AFL do? Introduce a system that makes it more difficult to get their academy players, then Victorians still kick up a stink when the Lions ensure they have the points to get them anyway.
Brisbane obviously should be in the AFL but they earned their dept? They deserve to be in the position they are in. Don't accept handouts because that is pathetic, should fold.

Brisbane obviously should be in the AFL but they earned their dept? They deserve to be in the position they are in. Don't accept handouts because that is pathetic, should fold.

Great for the game. Definitely going to help expand the game, taking it out of one of Australia's major cities. I truly think you're on to something here... give Gil a call?

Remove this Banner Ad

So who's your 2nd club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back