So who's your 2nd club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmmm tough one, I would most like the dogs to win a flag, if that constitutes as a second team then so be it.

You'd most like the Dogs to win a flag?
What about the Tigers?
All hope abandoned? ;)

hqdefault.jpg

Lets see if anyone get this reference.

Eagles or Tigers. Respect the hell out of the cats but couldn't barrack for them, the rivalry dating back to the eighties is too ingrained.

Don't really have one that could be considered a second team, but probably the least disliked is Melbourne. Lots of my friends go for them.

As another Saints poster pointed out, I wonder a bit why we get a lot less sympathy support than other teams which haven't won many premierships, for instance the dogs. Doesn't bother me at all, I just find the perceptions interesting.

St Kilda. My dad goes for Hawthorn so that's how I was brought up but my grandma goes for the Saints and goes every week even at the age of 83 and has done all my life. I have a soft spot for them for that reason coz I want them to win for her :) plus I grew up near Waverly Park so we'd go watch them when the Hawks weren't playing.

Don't really have one that could be considered a second team, but probably the least disliked is Melbourne. Lots of my friends go for them.

As another Saints poster pointed out, I wonder a bit why we get a lot less sympathy support than other teams which haven't won many premierships, for instance the dogs. Doesn't bother me at all, I just find the perceptions interesting.
I think the sympathy is partly a kind of "respect blue collar" thing that dogs/Footscray attract. The homeland of Saints doesn't really have a vibe that people identify with. Also, more recently I think the disco team thing with St Kilda probably did the brand no favours.

Should add here that I'm not at all sure that the above is the case - I'm having a guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get the "I have a soft spot for them because of mates who support them" line. The teams I hate the most are my mates teams. Nothing brings me more happiness than seeing Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Geelong and Collingwood lose because of close mates who support them fervently and lay into me when one of their miserable teams happens (on a very rare occasion) to beat us. I still have the sound of one of my best mates singing "we are the navy blues...." at full volume in my ear after a game at Princes park in 1995 where they beat us by 105pts. Every one of the last 13 times that we have beaten them I think about that and it makes me feel good.

Don't get the "I have a soft spot for them because of mates who support them" line. The teams I hate the most are my mates teams. Nothing brings me more happiness than seeing Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Geelong and Collingwood lose because of close mates who support them fervently and lay into me when one of their miserable teams happens (on a very rare occasion) to beat us. I still have the sound of one of my best mates singing "we are the navy blues...." at full volume in my ear after a game at Princes park in 1995 where they beat us by 105pts. Every one of the last 13 times that we have beaten them I think about that and it makes me feel good.

Maybe you just need different mates...

Everyone has that one club who they have a soft spot for. Whether it be because of bad luck or because their mate supports them.

Mine is Carlton. There has been no bad blood between us in recent years. They are just beggining their rebuilding stage and i have full confidence the Bolton can take them to a premiership (Not a joke, i think it will happen) and i can't wait to see their progress over the next few years.

So who's yours?
Carlton

Doggies - the perennial battlers. Hoping they continue on from their good 2015.
Tigers are 3rd - grew up barracking for SANFL tigers, long time between drinks for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

So who's your 2nd club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back