Soccer tycoon Clive Palmer attacks the Australian game on the GC

Remove this Banner Ad

The bloke seems like a grade A w***er.

He reminds me of Bill Heslop from Muriel's Wedding. Just a big fat obnoxious Queensland dick head of the highest order. He might have plenty of money, but has zero class.

The decision to close 3/4 of the ground and cap the crowd at 5,000 to save $100k, has prob cost them $1mil (at least) in bad publicity and lost fans.

A crowd of 2,600 for a team in it's first season that's 3rd of the table and playing against a legend like Robbie Fowler is pathetic. There are country footy games that get more than that!

All plays nicely into GC17's hands if you ask me.

This article is even more hilarious now that both United and the Titans are floundering.

And the Suns are getting solid crowds and memberships.

Looks like he was wrong on a few accounts. Firstly, soccer and RL will not be particularly successful. Secondly, AFL can work. Though, it is early days yet.

I'd like to think so. I've noticed more AFL players/supporters at my school during my time there.

I still think the reason no one goes to the NRL is because it's a TV sport. I went to one at Skilled Park a few years ago and I was bored out of my brains. The atmosphere must be intensified on the TV coverage. ...and no one really cares about soccer :p

By the end of next year, i'd think the Gold Coast would be AFL territory.

I'd like to think so. I've noticed more AFL players/supporters at my school during my time there.

I still think the reason no one goes to the NRL is because it's a TV sport. I went to one at Skilled Park a few years ago and I was bored out of my brains. The atmosphere must be intensified on the TV coverage. ...and no one really cares about soccer :p

I wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself it's 1st year so there is a novelty value there as there are with all new teams time will tell in the next 5 years. Who knows the Titans could be a top 4 team while Suns are still down on the bottom of the ladder or vice versa the future is unpredictable who knows both teams can flourish and succeed in the region without killing each other off.

I don't think we'll wipe the Titans off the map any time soon, but I think the AFL have timed everything quite nicely. Once the honeymoon/novelty period has ended they'll transition nicely into the genuine premiership threat phase. Also, with the exception of a possible 20/20 cricket side (summer anyway), there are no new teams coming in to steal the novelty factor away.

If the Suns remain serious about getting kids to the games, by the time they grow up to be adults there will (hopefully) be a noticeable shift in the sporting landscape of the GC. The other factor that works in our favor is the evangelizing that we AFL supporters do. We take people along to games, preach to anyone who will listen about AFL, and effectively operate as free marketing for the league. Yea, it's early days, but we're off to a flying start up there.

Oh, and Clive's United to somehow become even less relevant in the coming years. That's if they don't fold at the end of next season.

Which they will.

lololololololololololololololololololololololol

I know it's a very old article but it's still very funny. Great work Gold Coast Football Club! Keep up the good work!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

interest in the suns will wane...might take a bit as we have seen with brisbane....won their flags now are in big shit...no crowds and what looks to be an extensive period in the bottom four on the ladder which will not help bring crowds back

suns are still in honeymoon period....

interest in the suns will wane...might take a bit as we have seen with brisbane....won their flags now are in big shit...no crowds and what looks to be an extensive period in the bottom four on the ladder which will not help bring crowds back

suns are still in honeymoon period....

and yet the lions still pull better crowds then both adelaide teams norths and only just get tipped by the bulldogs now consider that the dog's and norths play in the heart of vic sharing the same stadium's as other clubs, the lions are in the shape they should be for being where they are on the ladder crowds dont go and support crap year in year out

true the coast's crowds will dip but to get the crowds their getting in the first year whilst being ........... "ordinary" shows long term support and interest id say next few years crowd average would be 16-17,000 as the honey moon ends

maye due to the coast having far greter number of ex VIC's and their decendants that love footy as a game

all teams experince a drop in attendance when its "new" and the novelity wears thin (along with a butt kicking) but i certainly dont see things getting as dire as the swans dark days, and if the club is managed well and succeed's then the numbers will grow sooner you need a solid 10years to cement a club, people just dont get that

Feel bad for the GCU fans..

But the A-League is a joke TBH.. Regardless it doesn't secure the future of the Suns either or make their job there easier.

Hopefully the Suns will continue to get better ratings and membership numbers and be the one club on the GC who doesn't fail!!!

But the A-League is a joke TBH.. Regardless it doesn't secure the future of the Suns either or make their job there easier.

Hopefully the Suns will continue to get better ratings and membership numbers and be the one club on the GC who doesn't fail!!!
GCU has fans? :D

Nice troll, we will be just fine thanks for your deep concern. I equally wish the Tullamarine Bombers the best of luck in the future.

Indeed Iva, methinks your troll radar is a bit off. :D

UrLordUnbeliever is a bit of a Suns fan and pops over here regularly. Would be surprised if that was sarcastic.

Anyways. Does anyone know how many people turned out for those GCU games? Apparently they were getting 15k when they first started.

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer tycoon Clive Palmer attacks the Australian game on the GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back