Some guy gives Johnno a blast!

Remove this Banner Ad

Aker has spoken his mind just like he's always done. There are two points that need to be raised.

Firstly, do the positive things about Johnno's game outweigh the negatives. On the plus side he is an inspirational leader, fearless, a good mark and a dead-eye shot for goal. He knows the game plan back the front, is smart and can spot up targets inside forward 50.
As for the negatives he is only 70-80% fit, has lost the ability to keep his feet at a contest, and simply doesn't have the defensive presence now required of all modern-day forwards.
I think that after coming this far in persisting with him we have to stick to our guns and play him for the rest of the year. At season's end however I think it's definitely time for BJ to bow out gracefully.

Secondly, Aker should have remained silent about the Bulldogs until the end of the year. He claims he still has good friends at the dogs, but what would these friends think of him spouting these destabilising comments three weeks out from the finals. This has fully convinced me that Aker is and always was for nobody but himself.

I blame Eagleton.
No wait..
I blame Williams!
Hang on...
Nah Johnson this week.
Yes we lost like a pathetic team.
But shit happens.
We move on.
We needed a reality check, our tires were too pumped up (Hi Mike Sheehan, will see you kissing our rumps again in a couple of weeks) but we will bounce back :)

I agree with Akermanis.

When Grant's and West's injuries took their toll they retired,Johnson should
follow their lead.

I though it was general knowledge that both West and Grant wanted to go on and were very disapointed to be made to retire. So we have made some big calls in the past.

We got smashed by 100 points and to be honest johnno was far from our worst so as a guy thats struggled all yr with injury he was always gonna be a target this week. Still people forget his form last week was good and he seemed to be moving well. His second in the league for goal assists compared to games played so his adding something to the team.

Let's see how he goes in the final 2 weeks. Darcy on OWAAT said johnno should stay in the side and possibly play next yr. While i don't think johnno has another yr in him i agree he should be in the side this season.

pfttttt A**r Schmacker. I loved him when he was the red, white and blue and enjoyed the sight of him playing. He may have a point that Johnno is not in our best 22 because of injuries, but I'm seriously sick of him making comments at the Bulldogs. It just makes him sound all bitter and twisted!

IMO I dont care that he isnt 100% and it looks like he wont be for the remainder of the season. He is a legend of our club. Remember those dark, dark days during the early to mid-2000's and how shit we were? Only Johnno and a few others like West and Grant would have pull some S#%t out of their arse for us to win games. Remember those days where Shaggy were played at FB and get monstered week in week out coz we were full of kids? And remember when Johnno had to kick bags of goals to get us over the line?

Well I believe its about time this group repaid the favour and give him what he deserves - a premiership. Its time for the group to get Johnno over the line this time. I dont care if Johnno is in a wheelchair if we made it to the GF! I want him in the team! I dont care if its 21 V 22 that day. He deserves that damn medal! No soldier gets left behind in the RW&B. All for one and one for all. We are one and united!

Anyway thats how i feel. And you have the right to disagree with me. Just saying it would be a bit hollow winning the premiership without Johnno even I tho feel we are less likely to win with him in. I still feel for Granty til this day.

^ We are 7-4 with Johnson in the team, 6-3 without him. Not a big difference. Funny that Aker can spot when someone carrying an injury shouldn't be playing, but didn't follow his own logic earlier this season. Could have made a difference.

Yep, that would explain the lack of improvement and development from Jarrad Grant and Liam Jones this season.

Jones has barely played, and Grant's improvement has come from getting a run more than anything being a third year player with virtually zero playing time coming into this year. Let's see if Grant steps up next year as a budding KPP or if he gets caught between roles and stagnates like Hill.

Mate I'm not sure how many games you actually watch of ours, but I see them all. I actually think Johno has been pretty good. He's not lost his pace. He's lost some touch. I also watch a lot of games at Willi and there is no one he's keeping out. Willi is on top in the VFL and our guys there are doing really well. As a result we have we have also unearthed new talent this year. Grant, Jones, Wood, Roughead and Moles.

If they earn their spot they get a chance. Nobody is keeping anyone out believe me.

If the only game you have seen of our this year was Sat night then you'd have the same thoughts on almost all our guys.

I've seen 8 or 9 Dogs games this year, but I've watched Johnson since the '93 draft and noticed his game drop off the last few years as you would expect any player with 15 plus seasons. The stats show Johnson's goals have gone from 74 in 06 down to 59, 50, then 37 last year. In 06-07 he got 33 brownlow votes. In 08-09 he got 1.

As a comparision to leading teams' forwards in similar roles, compared to Leon Davis and Paul Chapman his goals per game are on a par with them, but in terms of tackles Johnson has 10 for the year. Davis has 65 in 17 games and Chapman has 77. Last year Johnson had 66 for the year. In contested posessions Johnson has 43 for the season. Davis has 107. Chapman has 122.

^ We are 7-4 with Johnson in the team, 6-3 without him. Not a big difference. Funny that Aker can spot when someone carrying an injury shouldn't be playing, but didn't follow his own logic earlier this season. Could have made a difference.

Yes but we have looked more convincing in the wins with johnno in the side.

I honestly think that Johnson doesn't bring a lot to the forward line anymore. Before you jump down my throat, yes I know he has a lot of wisdom and understanding of the game, great kick and an inspirational leader. BUT, you need to look at the game style of modern football. I just don't think he can keep up with it, he doesn't apply enough pressure in the forward line and doesn't have enough of an impact anymore.

That being said, I certainly dont think Hill or Hahn deserve a spot either, so I guess we don't have that much of a choice coming into finals.

I simply ask myself if I would prefer Johnson and Grant or Jones and Grant in the forward line during the finals.

The later makes me very nervous as neither have tasted finals pressure as yet. Both great long term prospects but a huge risk taking them both into a finals campaign.

Johno has dropped of this year but has done enough in the last month or so to stay in the best 22 during the finals.

you dont see it often, but there are players who just look like they are made for the big stage, and i see that in jones and Grant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnno would be leading the stats for goal assist if you took the Geelong game out of the picture.

So much for Aker and "selfish" play.

We have better tackle stats in our midfield than Collingwood too.

Cameron Ling laid 10 tackles against Collingwood. That's a meaningless stat, he couldn't catch a cold snail, must have already had his hands on their shirt to pull off that many. Lings also gives away heaps of frees for holding the man.

Some guy made a great Bulldogs career contribution.

His only outstanding records:

5 frees against - Norf April 2009.
5 behinds vs Hawthorn July 2009.

No wonder Brisbane gave him the arse. No wonder we gave him the arse.

A friend gave me these stats...

Johno across the entire 16 teams from rds 14 - 19 is

Number 1st for assists
7th for marks on lead
4th total marks
80% disposal eff

Would like to see the stats of guys like higgins and co who have avoided Akka's toungue lashing...

Here's a comparison between Higgins and Johnson

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web...06192&year1=2010&tid2=115&pid2=327&year2=2010

And, some other interesting stats

The WB are;

Ranked 1st in Kicks Per Game
Ranked 3rd in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 2nd in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 2nd in Marks Per Game
Ranked 4th in Points Per Game
Ranked 3rd in least Opponent Points Per Game
Ranked 3rd in least Opponent Tackles Per Game
Ranked 3rd in least Opponent Hitouts Per Game
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Kicks Per Game Diff.
Ranked 4th in Team to Opponent Disposals Per Game Diff.
Ranked 3rd in Team to Opponent Marks Per Game Diff.
Ranked 3rd in Team to Opponent Points Per Game Diff.
Ranked 16th in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 14th in Hitouts Per Game

I absolutely cannot believe that 'some guy' can get sacked from his club, come out the day after the Club Captains testimonial, accuse his past Captain of being selfish and should be sacked and have SO MANY supposed club supporters support him. What absolute crap. Now we can see why 'some guy' was sacked - because of the divisive nature of his behaviour. It is no surprise that we have some flog supporters from other teams coming onto our board trying to disrupt things - unlike 'some supporters' they actually think we could do some damage in the finals. Perhaps if 'some supporters' want something, you know, useful to do, they could head off to the other team boards and cause some disruption there, rather than making bullshit statements on our board in the lead up to the finals. It should have been a case of 'touch one - you touch us all' - this has been just pathetic. On the positive side, it has been great to see some great rebuttals from certain posters. Outstanding guys.

Umm, you do realize this is a forum and that it actually has no impact on our teams run to the finals don't you?

Perhaps a lie down and a cuppa will make you feel a little better.::rolleyes:

Don't really care what you think I should be doing Maddog. :rolleyes:

I am glad you took the time to reply bbbaz. I hope you feel better now.

Why read these forums if you do not care what other people say?

Anyways, akers comments served as a spur for some discussion about johno. Just by stating our personal views does not instantly translate to supporting aker.

Grow up.

The cultural problem
Just when success looks to be in your grasp, fear of success sabotages your decision making, the anxiety gets the better of you, you find reasons to fail.

We are exactly where we need to be at this point in the season: top four.

We have a team which if it is switched on can easily win 3 consecutive games and hold up the premiership. We have the Best FF, The Best FB, Some great Mids, very good support crew on each line and a crafty coach.

Forget the media hype there is bugger all between the top 4.

Don't let your fear of success get in the way of enjoying this

Remove this Banner Ad

Some guy gives Johnno a blast!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back