Song Contest Part XXI, Host: Purple7x08_24, Theme: Pre-2000, Votes Due: Wednesday 10pm AEDT Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Release of votes one day early???? Ocha905

giphy.gif
For your sake I won't :p

Current rap can't seem to grow out of the narrow figjam focus atm. The genre used to be at the forefront of social commentary for example. Some of my favourite musicians are rappers. I hold out hope it can have a renaissance.

It also is in a production and sound engineer slump.

Whatever was working in 2003, this should be what gets it done.

In Da Club doesn't sound as busy as its modern contemporaries.

Plus, the rise of mumble rap.

It also is in a production and sound engineer slump.

Whatever was working in 2003, this should be what gets it done.

In Da Club doesn't sound as busy as its modern contemporaries.

Plus, the rise of mumble rap.
Seems to me all the good samples have been taken so now most rap is over stock standard beats.

Also most are just rappers. They are not musically inclined to push the boat out with jazz influences like Kendrick

Seems to me all the good samples have been taken so now most rap is over stock standard beats.

Also most are just rappers. They are not musically inclined to push the boat out with jazz influences like Kendrick
There's still good rap coming out but you have to go looking for it. I've discovered a heap of new artists, some from France, some from South America, and a lot of chilled rap. Problem is mainstream and Triple J don't tap into the potential.

That video I put up the other day on what people in the street were listening to had a number of really good recent rap tunes.

Paint the Town Red is testament that a catchy beat can make up for boring, cliche lyrics (I'd love a word tally for 'I' and 'bitch').

Related - Rap's in a interesting place atm. And by interesting I mean derivative and tired.

Last year it's worst year by far. Apart from the Billy Woods and Aesop Rock albums the one's that stayed with me were by women like Noname, Sexyy Red, Chika, Big Freedia and Haviah Mighty. Noname was the only one that really pushed the genre forward too and had poignant things to say.

Current rap can't seem to grow out of the narrow figjam focus atm. The genre used to be at the forefront of social commentary for example. Some of my favourite musicians are rappers. I hold out hope it can have a renaissance.
Give these a spin if you're not already familiar.

blockhead is a legend. Some good features on this. Both Aes and Billy make an appearance.

One of my favourite albums.

again billy woods features.

Good album.

A label mate of Aes. This is a re-release of some 2000s material. Enjoyable.

This one also deserves a mention.

blockhead is a legend. Some good features on this. Both Aes and Billy make an appearance.

Good album.

Interesting. I'm going to add them to my playlist.

Kendrick has experienced moderate success here, but would be nice if Kendrick fans would nom similar artists.

Interesting. I'm going to add them to my playlist.

Kendrick has experienced moderate success here, but would be nice if Kendrick fans would nom similar artists.
The bulk of Kendrick fans I know don't really listen to any rap so it might be a similar thing for Kendrick fans in here.

Good album.

Legend! Thanks! I've only listened to the pig head album from memory (a very evocative cover).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The CMAT song Riviat nommed for song of the year has become a bit of an earworm. Randomly hearing it around a lot.

Most noticeably on Graham Norton where she smashed it. Up there with Future Islands on Letterman.

I've looked into her a bit more and as a person she annoys the shit out of me but I like that song.

Last year it's worst year by far. Apart from the Billy Woods and Aesop Rock albums the one's that stayed with me were by women like Noname, Sexyy Red, Chika, Big Freedia and Haviah Mighty. Noname was the only one that really pushed the genre forward too and had poignant things to say.
This is Scaring The Hoes erasure.

All my faves moved into the 201-300 category lol
I doubt any music I've found from 2023 would have even been considered for Triple J.

I think Holy Holy and LDR maybe.

About 6 hours left to the big reveal.

With 16 contestants having voted. Two songs have separated themselves with a late charger quickly making up ground.
Donuts have sold out although 1 would probably like a vote to go with their Billy's.

Get ya votes in please - omgfridge Drunkgoliath raskolnikov The Filth Wizard MP_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back