Song Contest Part XXI, Host: Purple7x08_24, Theme: Pre-2000, Votes Due: Wednesday 10pm AEDT Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good win, probs put them up to 7th in rankings
Meh, rankings shmankings. Was great to see a rank underdog break through after 26 years! Cricket was last great when the Windies were a force.

Good win, probs put them up to 7th in rankings

Happy for the Windies, the game is richer when they're up and about.

Wait.... what fred is this?

Meh, rankings shmankings. Was great to see a rank underdog break through after 26 years! Cricket was last great when the Windies were a force.

Compelling viewing. So many big names you just wanted to see. Sobers, Richards, Garner, Marshall, Haynes and Greenidge opening etc and so many more.

Compelling viewing. So many big names you just wanted to see. Sobers, Richards, Garner, Marshall, Haynes and Greenidge opening etc and so many more.
I have all of those autographs except sobers

The problem is, the Windies board have little money, so any ounce of talent gets lost to the T20 leagues. I can see the same happening to Joseph who had T20 ambitions before an unexpected test call-up.

The problem is, the Windies board have little money, so any ounce of talent gets lost to the T20 leagues. I can see the same happening to Joseph who had T20 ambitions before an unexpected test call-up.
I thought their best 3 players didn't even tour, playing in the South Africa T20 comp instead. If so it makes their win even more impressive. Hopefully it gives a jolt of life to test cricket there (dubious though for the reason you mentioned).

Loonerty

I think you might have deleted your post but seriously I'm laughing. 2012 was a golden year for the hottest 100.

Here's my interpretation of the top 100 as it sits today.

5. Same Love
4. All The Rowboats
3. Summertime Sadness
2. Born To Die
1. Oblivion
B. Disclosure

1706431599592.png

Loonerty

I think you might have deleted your post but seriously I'm laughing. 2012 was a golden year for the hottest 100.

5. Same Love
4. All The Rowboats
3. Summertime Sadness
2. Born To Die
1. Oblivion
B. Disclosure

View attachment 1894099
I didn't delete my post, it was in the Hottest 100 thread.

I reckon in terms of longevity of the ones you've listed, you've maybe got Summertime Sadness, I Love It (thanks KFC), Ho Hey. And that's excluding some of my favourites in Ball Park, Tame Impala and even though it physically hurts, Arctic Monkeys.

I just don't think it makes sense to view the Hottest 100 as "what will still be around in a decade" when it's literally a poll of popularity in the moment.

It's a popularity contest not a critical ranking.

Loonerty

5. Same Love
4. All The Rowboats
3. Summertime Sadness
2. Born To Die
1. Oblivion
B. Disclosure

View attachment 1894099
Why those songs in particular?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't delete my post, it was in the Hottest 100 thread.

I reckon in terms of longevity of the ones you've listed, you've maybe got Summertime Sadness, I Love It (thanks KFC), Ho Hey. And that's excluding some of my favourites in Ball Park, Tame Impala and even though it physically hurts, Arctic Monkeys.

I just don't think it makes sense to view the Hottest 100 as "what will still be around in a decade" when it's literally a poll of popularity in the moment.

It's a popularity contest not a critical ranking.
Forgot I posted in there. I think it's great to be able to revisit an old list and see what songs till have good value. I'm looking at it from the perspective that we can all still listen to and appreciate New Order - True Faith for example, but there were popular songs "At the time" that don't have much value now days. Was merely an observation.

Forgot I posted in there. I think it's great to be able to revisit an old list and see what songs till have good value. I'm looking at it from the perspective that we can all still listen to and appreciate New Order - True Faith for example, but there were popular songs "At the time" that don't have much value now days. Was merely an observation.

Depends who you ask.

Loonerty

5. Same Love
4. All The Rowboats
3. Summertime Sadness
2. Born To Die
1. Oblivion
B. Disclosure

View attachment 1894099
Very harsh on Disclosure. They were absolutely massive then too.

Though correct on Mumford & Sons and far too kind to 360, one listen is too much.

Very harsh on Disclosure. They were absolutely massive then too.

Though correct on Mumford & Sons and far too kind to 360, one listen is too much.
I was going through a particular stage in my life with 360 and it resonated with me.

I think I was really into Feeder at that particular point in time.

This summed up 2008-2012 for me. The music I listened to

The longevity I think only really makes sense for the people who vote or listen to triple j.

For example my dad wouldn't have a ****ing clue about any Hottest 100 song ever, probably. But he'd know Seven Nation Army. Does that mean nothing else good has come out since 1993 because he doesn't recognise it?

I was going through a particular stage in my life with 360 and it resonated with me.

I think I was really into Feeder at that particular point in time.

This summed up 2008-2012 for me. The music I listened to

Here you acknowledge that 360 has longevity because at the time it resonated with you...

Here you acknowledge that 360 has longevity because at the time it resonated with you...
one particular song for me personally. The yellow highlighted songs were ones that I believed would remain popular in general over time, AND the purple ones. The green ones were just songs that I liked. That was more of a personal relfection.

I've had this lingering Triple J idea for a few years now (possibly the dumbest) and it goes hand in hand with the AFL draft age eligibility.

Each year, the Triple J Hottest 100 should really be voted on songs just turned 18 years old.

For example, the songs eligible for the hottest 100 of 2023 would've had to be released in 2005 (or December 2004 at the earliest) and the 20 year yearly replay would have each song as having turned 38 years old.

One advantage of this is the removal of recency bias.
The one disadvantage is how many have people forgotten.

Just an idea (albeit dumb) I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back