Song Contest Part XXII, Host: Ulahoopski, Theme: Same Title/Different Songs, Votes Due: Friday 10pm AEST Time

Remove this Banner Ad

THEME: Islamic Countries/Muslims
Trying to expand my range a bit. Surely there's some good music from approx 1.9 Billion people.
Therefore nominate someone who is of the Islamic faith and/or from a Muslim majority country - list of countries
In with a Jake Stringer kareoke sesh.

I thought I'd get 4-5 but happy you recognized my song.

BTW I did not expect Saints to win today. Lessons to be learned about how to best use Max King in the future.
I knew it was yours :)

5. Spandau Ballet - The Freeze
4. The Chills - Snowbound
3. The Presets - It's Cool
2. Grinspoon - Freezer
1. Jimmy Cliff - I Can See Clearly Now

BM: Midnight Oil - Cold, Cold Change

I knew it was yours :)

5. Spandau Ballet - The Freeze
4. The Chills - Snowbound
3. The Presets - It's Cool
2. Grinspoon - Freezer
1. Jimmy Cliff - I Can See Clearly Now

BM: Midnight Oil - Cold, Cold Change
Why hate Oils?

5 - Crystal Castles - Celestica - 1st - TubbsFarquhar - Not sure how I've avoided this track til now - liking the lyrical link
4 - Caroline Polachek - Sunset - 3rd - Ocha905 - nice voice, nice melody, nod to the upcoming theme?
3 - Pentatonix - Coldest Winter - 5th - Callums_Guns - nice vocal performance
2 - Cold Chisel - Just How Many Times - 15th - Fossie 32 - Ian Moss' blues chops on show
1 - Jimmy Cliff - I Can See Clearly Now - 13th - Saint - nostalgia point

BM - Usher is an insta-billy for me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did you ever go to The Shents?

Yeah I did back in the 90s, one of the great live venues in Perth that has since been shut down.

I saw Jebediah there in the mid 90s with some other young bands, they were the standouts, no surprise they took off on Triple J.

Yeah I did back in the 90s, one of the great live venues in Perth that has since been shut down.

I saw Jebediah there in the mid 90s with some other young bands, they were the standouts, no surprise they took off om Triple J.

yes, was very sad when it closed - The Stems, The Neptunes, The Marigolds etc etc

yes, was very sad when it closed - The Stems, The Neptunes, The Marigolds etc etc

Perth had some great live venues back in the 70s and 80s but I was too young to go to them back then.

I was lucky to see Paul Kelly at The Swanbourne and Boom Crash Opera at The Herdies in the 90s before they got shut down.

Perth had some great live venues back in the 70s and 80s but I was too young to go to them back then.

I was lucky to see Paul Kelly at The Swanbourne and Boom Crash Opera at The Herdies in the 90s before they got shut down.
I saw Paul Kelly a few times, Hunters, Painters and Dockers (never told my parents), The Triffids, Chads Tree, The Saints, Ed Keuper etc

I saw Paul Kelly a few times, Hunters, Painters and Dockers (never told my parents), The Triffids, Chads Tree, The Saints, Ed Keuper etc

I saw Paul Kelly a few times too in a few different venues here and he always delivered.

I wish I got to see The Triffids when they were still around but I got to see GANGgajang in the early 90s at the UWA Ref.

One of the best gigs I've seen, just banger after banger.

Does New Zealand count as a Muslim/Islamic country?

Australia somehow managed to be included in Eurovision.

I'm just looking for a loophole as I'm all out of ideas here.
I've given a list of countries :)

The loophole, as previously mentioned by rask, is Cat Stevens (who hasn't been nommed yet ;))

EDIT - This may no longer be true.

Last edited:
5 - Crystal Castles - Celestica - 1st - TubbsFarquhar - Not sure how I've avoided this track til now - liking the lyrical link
4 - Caroline Polachek - Sunset - 3rd - Ocha905 - nice voice, nice melody, nod to the upcoming theme?
3 - Pentatonix - Coldest Winter - 5th - Callums_Guns - nice vocal performance
2 - Cold Chisel - Just How Many Times - 15th - Fossie 32 - Ian Moss' blues chops on show
1 - Jimmy Cliff - I Can See Clearly Now - 13th - Saint - nostalgia point

BM - Usher is an insta-billy for me
It wasn't intentional but good pickup haha. I can see the resemblance to Middle Eastern music (the flamenco-inspired guitar and trilling vocal parts for instance).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back