Song Contest Part XXII, Host: Ocha905, Theme: Favourite Genre, Noms Due: Thursday 9pm AEST Time

Remove this Banner Ad

update: Harp - I am the seed, has been removed from the playlist at the request of the nommer, so we're down to 21 just in case people were wondering where a nom had disappeared to [hadn't received anything so no harm done]

Apologies to Stokey too who only missed cutoff last night by ~15 or so minutes from the looks of things.

vote update: The Two Ronnies outro is on 5 votes, despite not being part of the playlist :drunk:

Whaaaa? That was on my shortlist

Hopefully for Jonathan Richman's sake that the lesbian bar had a fire exit.

egefDTMcFf5MKBF5-jUoT9VhmGc=.gif

I was shocked by the songlist this week. Thought it would be new quality songs to discover from a diverse range of listening SC'ers.
Instead with the exception of a few good ones, thought I'd wandered in to a 'worst eurovison styled songs ever' theme.

Obviously just my take. Could not relate to most songs, and could not bring myself to vote for them. Apologies to the few songs I really liked and got to 'discover'. Thanks Spuddy for being so sweet about it too.

I was shocked by the songlist this week. Thought it would be new quality songs to discover from a diverse range of listening SC'ers.
Instead with the exception of a few good ones, thought I'd wandered in to a 'worst eurovison styled songs ever' theme.

Obviously just my take. Could not relate to most songs, and could not bring myself to vote for them. Apologies to the few songs I really liked and got to 'discover'. Thanks Spuddy for being so sweet about it too.
Ahh well plenty of room for improvement then

Gone With The Wind Scarlett Ohara GIF

My votes have landed.

Billy vote was hard.

If it wasn't compulsory, this round would've been a B free round for me.
I am hopelessly out of step with the majority taste around here🤣

It was just weird that this was supposed to be a round for songs we hadn't heard before. I know now that is open to wide interpretation.🫣😃🥂
It was for artists and songs not nommed before, not songs that haven't been heard neccessarily??

It was for artists and songs not nommed before, not songs that haven't been heard neccessarily??
Yeah. I get that now. I thought it was 'virgin artists and songs' my bad! Big difference.😃

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d nommed my new stuff recently (which makes sense as if you’ve discovered a new artist you’re excited to share it), so it’s not a surprise that the playlist ended up like this.

I play it safe too often so I decided to take more of a risk with my nom. It could backfire and win me the billy, but I'm not that fussed about anymore really. It's been a great run in any case.

Update that no-one asked for:
13/21 sets of votes counted
2 songs in the 20's (6 hits and 8 hits respectively), five in the teens, of which two are on 19
2 donuts to be eaten
1 song on billy-only votes
2 songs on 3 billies, 2 on 2, and 3 on 1.
Host will be returning to nomming Hanson bangers as they poll better

Just under 5hours to get those votes in - but will gladly release earlier if applicable.

Yeah, that was in my votes, or was going to be.

Just had another listen on Spotify and recognised the voice immediately - it's the old singer from Midlake!

Always wondered what he moved on to, very happy to find out.

Thanks whoever nommed Harp then mysteriously withdrew their nom!

Last edited:

Definitely an international flavour to this playlist, which may not suit some tastes. A number of these are actually quite recent releases, even if they don't really feel like it somehow.

I am hopelessly out of step with the majority taste around here🤣
Your noms suggests otherwise -

1724228749203.png
You're above average for votes and podiums received. Getting only 2 Billy's over 15 rounds is remarkable. You've never been the overall Billy winner either.

Win the Billy 8 times, or even once lol, and then get back to me about being "hopelessly out of step".

It was just weird that this was supposed to be a round for songs we hadn't heard before. I know now that is open to wide interpretation.🫣😃🥂
It was, hence my enthusiasm (I'd only heard 1 song before). Surely most nom's were a first time listen for you as well.

Overall this was an unusual round which is why I loved it and probably why it was so divisive overall. Everyone has had a playlist they've detested for different reasons. Nothing is going to please everyone.

Your noms suggests otherwise -

View attachment 2086642
You're above average for votes and podiums received. Getting only 2 Billy's over 15 rounds is remarkable. You've never been the overall Billy winner either.

Win the Billy 8 times, or even once lol, and then get back to me about being "hopelessly out of step".

It was, hence my enthusiasm (I'd only heard 1 song before). Surely most nom's were a first time listen for you as well.

Overall this was an unusual round which is why I loved it and probably why it was so divisive overall. Everyone has had a playlist they've detested for different reasons. Nothing is going to please everyone
My beef is not with where the music originates..no way! I have a really eclectic collection at home fom all over the world
... but I found so many choices to be just poor quality songs. Really lightweight...as I said..euro vision type stuff. Whether sung in other languages or not. And yeah. I agree with what you say Ocha. As I usually do😊

Happy for those who've enjoyed it. I usually can find 5 songs to vote for, but not this time

Ce la vie!

On the bright side have come up with a really fun theme if I ever win again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Song Contest Part XXII, Host: Ocha905, Theme: Favourite Genre, Noms Due: Thursday 9pm AEST Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back