South Africa 2010 - who will still be around?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 22, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Just looking at the squad. The following players will be 30 or over, according to Wiki profiles:
Mark Schwarzer (37)
Lucas Neill (32)
Craig Moore (34)
Tim Cahill (30)
Tony Popovic (37)
Brett Emerton (31)
Josip Skoko (34)
Mark Viduka (34)
Harry Kewell (31)
Stan Lazaridis (37)
Ante Covic (35)
Vince Grella (30)
Scott Chipperfield (34)
John Aloisi (34)
Archie Thompson (31)
Zeljko Kalac (37)
Mile Sterjovski (31)
Mark Bresciano (30)

Seems we had an old team at this WC. I don't really know what is considered 'old' in soccer, although players seem to go a little longer than in Australian football. Who is likely to go on, and does Australia have the depth to be as competitive at the next Cup as this one?

edit: removed Beauchamp.

Hard to say this far out. Some players have indicated they're keen to go on, others have hinted they won't. I would expect those who are now in their late 20s will want to keep going, especially with Asia now being a totally new frontier.
The most important thing is that we build a strong squad going forward and now at least with competitive matches being regular occurrences, there is a chance to expand the squad from the core group that took part at this cup to one where there are 30-40 players who could easily be named in a tournament squad.

I would say Neill, Cahill, Emerton, Grella, Bresciano would be the ones still in the picture looking at that. Any nasty injury at that age and they would be struggling too. Kewell will be well gone with his dodgy groins and Thompson, Sterjovski are barely good enough to make the squad now in their prime.

I would have thought Beauchamp was a little younger than that.

Yeah, players go around for a bit longer in soccer than in Aussie rules. In Aussie rules once you hit 30-31 you're useless. But the peak age for a soccer player is 26-33, compared to 24-28 for an Aussie rules player.

Our team at this World Cup looks older than other squads, with less players under 25 than other teams. Maybe that has to do with the fact that alot of the veterans have stuck around for one last tilt (Vidmar should have been playing as well). Many of the players from the '97 WCQ squad are still around (Aloisi, Kewell, Viduka, Kalac, Skoko, Moore, Popovic).

Anyway there'll be a big cleanout before the next World Cup, with plenty of retirements. You can carry 1 or 2 37-year-olds at the very most - I think Schwarzer might survive since keepers can go for a while. But mostly we'll see some more youth, with the likes of Kennedy becoming part of the core.

Unwritten_Law said:
I would say Neill, Cahill, Emerton, Grella, Bresciano would be the ones still in the picture looking at that. Any nasty injury at that age and they would be struggling too. Kewell will be well gone with his dodgy groins and Thompson, Sterjovski are barely good enough to make the squad now in their prime.

Beauchamp is only about 25 now...

Its gunna come down to the development of Sarkies, Killkenny and other U21 players at the moment.

The biggest problem will be between the posts, assuming the Schwazer, Kalac and Covic are no longer there.

I think Viduka has almost said this will be his last, unless he feels he wants to come back for the World Cup, I think he said he wont be travelling down here for Asian cup qualifiers so if that means he wont play again, who knows? Might become an impact player at big games...

Hope like hell Kewell can get fit, would be a huge asset

Some players are alot older than I thought, some younger, its funny, I always knew we had an old squad though

All of the goalkeepers shud be around for one last go, Tunisia goalkeeper was 42 I think, Trinidad and Tobago was 38...

Unwritten_Law said:

So even if you presume that the younger guys - Beauchamp (29), Wilkshire (28), Culina (29), Milligan (24) and Kennedy (27) all make the next team, that doesn't leave a lot. Is that sort of turnover typical?

Our next generation need to come through. Neill should be captain next world cup. Inspirational. Our young guns need to show something these few years otherwise we're sort of screwd. Viduka will be gone.

CharlieG said:
So even if you presume that the younger guys - Beauchamp (29), Wilkshire (28), Culina (29), Milligan (24) and Kennedy (27) all make the next team, that doesn't leave a lot. Is that sort of turnover typical?

Were a very old team, no doubting that, probably the oldest in the comp or near too it, some teams like England and Argentina will probably have no turnovers at all going into 2010

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's cyclical like anything else, we just hit the top of ours.

From the last world cup England have replaced Seaman, Mills, Sinclair, Scholes, Fowler, Heskey, Brown, Murphy, Martyn, Keown, Southgate, Sheringham, Vassell, Butt, Dyer from their 02 squad.

A few retired most are still kicking around and no longer deemed good enough for the squad. Replacing players because of lack of depth is obviously a way bigger problem for us.

Unless you are a really special player, I don't understand why you would play anyone over 30 unless you have an underdeveloped system....which Australia is in fine condition and should be even better in 4 years. Plus your progress in this cup should trigger more growth.
But I would think that there would be some 16-20 yr old kids in your system now that you will look to bring up for speed, dexterity, endurance, and youth in general.
But of course you wouldn't want to get rid of all your veterans. You want people on the team with leadership ability, and experience in the cup to help with the new generation.
But short answer to your question...yes, overall that is an extremely old squad.

Unwritten_Law said:
BBC profile page has Beauchamp DOB as 8/03/1981 which seems a little more reasonable.
All sites are listed as that - even on Wikipedia it says 1981.

Will be interesting to see where our crop of youngsters come from - good to see selections like Kennedy, Beauchamp, Milligan. Kennedy has been very impressive. Elrich and Wilkshire should also be around the squad in the years to come.

With the Asian Championships in 12 months hopefully some of the older blokes, especially Viduka, choose to stick around for one last hurrah. The next world cup is out of reach for most of the players over 30 but the Asian Championships are still a realistic target. All the moreso since Australia would be a strong chance to lift the cup.

I reckon most will stay around and want to compete in another World Cup after getting so close to quarter finals this year. I reckon they'll wanna see how gud they reli are when they get treated with respect by both refs and other teams

thebigboy said:
Its gunna come down to the development of Sarkies, Killkenny and other U21 players at the moment.

The biggest problem will be between the posts, assuming the Schwazer, Kalac and Covic are no longer there.

This highlights the joey Didulica error by Farina. Hopefully Brad Jones pledges his allegiance to the Australian team as he is really only a baby as a keeper and despite some mistakes he has kept some clean sheets for Boro. Also Hiddink has said that Nathan Coe was getting closer to playing in the senior team at PSV and is only 22. Although to young for 2010 Alex Vrteski is one for the future and only about 18 but had a good U17 world cup and signed for Perth Glory.

Re: Socceroos Retirees

ah dude isnt grella, bresciano and chipperfield only 26-28 years old.... meaning i think theyd still be holding down first spot teams in four years.

maybe chippers is older but i am pretty sure grella and bresciano will still be keys in 4 years.

We still have an ok nucleas to work with... we will lose Kewell (wear and tear), Viduka, Kalac, Moore, Lazaridis, Skoko.

But we will have an improving and at peak Kennedy, Cullina, Neill, Grella, Bresciano as five definite starters id say... wilkshire will hang around.. lets hope Milligan develops into a great defender he is only 20 and Sarkies gets some good time with Victory to get even better.

anyone else list some names of our likely 11 for the next few years?

Remove this Banner Ad

South Africa 2010 - who will still be around?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back