Southern Football League 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mills and O'Bree started on the bench, gave their best when called upon...can only be better for the run.

Goodwork who wants to know, I think as a club we have divulged and been as honest as we can be to assist the rumor mongers and morons who frequent this site, you have defended yourself brilliantly and it still amazing that the other benefactors in the league such as Mercoulia at St Pauls who would contibute over $80k in cash & jobs per year continue to
fly under the radar,as a club should we refrain from acknowledging anymore money,sponsorship,recruiting & slanderous comments going forward? I know the attention we have recived is incredible , but to all the knockers get down on Saturday and see the game at StKilda and see whether we can measure up to the big guys!

Only 9 paid players at StKillda City? yeah right! Hasan has knocked back a grand a week at Werribbe for some personal training referrals? come off the grass! You are deluding yourself, I heard from a committee member that he was playing with some mates and getting $50.00 a game....as if!

That would have been the prez he is a funny man,11 of the 21 on Saturday were non paid players, which makes it 10. As for Hassan he has a 3 way deal, he didnt knock back $ at werribee , he quit the VFL to pursue his business interests and didnt want to train 4 nights a week, also we got him by fluke in the end as he was about to sign with Donald on huge$ in the country and we were able to get him additional employment to convince to stay in Melbourne,come down and meet the bloke he is a ripper and very dedicated.

Who cares what they get paid! All we have heard on this forum for months is the amount they get paid. It's a long season, anything can happen injuries etc... Stuff the money they all have to get through just like ever other player so how bout writing about your games on the weekend who you played, who played well, who to look out for in other teams!!!

Good to see Friday night, alive and well in the SFL. Ventured down to Springvale to watch a very good game, with Oakleigh trying their guts out, up against a polished side in Springvale Districts. The big fella up forward kicking goal after goal. Maybe should have kicked more, missing a number of easy ones. Varsallo kicking a great goal, seem like he was behind the grandstand when releasing it off the boot. 4qtrtime had mark of the day, not sure if he'd timed it well, but looked good either way. Springvale will be hard to beat, thats for sure.

Just an idea, what if the SFL pumped a little money into the Old Springvale VFA ground bringing it up to standard for regular night games, giving all clubs the oppurtunity to playing under lights every Friday night. For one, more people turn up to these games and its such a great ground to play footy on. thoughts?

Highett off to good start for the year with a win over Heatherton, we have got Tooronga Malvern at the kennel this Saturday. Come down if in the area.

:thumbsu: While I support and commend all the clubs mentioned trying to recruit and improve their club's position and ultimely achieve the ultimate and win a Premiership,it amazes me that not one of the clubs mentioned or very few clubs in the SFL are doing anything about junior development.
Only 2 clubs out of 29 in the comp could get an under 18 team up for this season which is dissappointing considering juniors are the foundation for a successful senior club and competition.If all these clubs mentioned spent 5 to 10% of their player budget on junior development rather than players who will only stay till the money runs out and put nothing back into the club then run off to the next club offering big dollars to them,maybe we need to start thinking about the bigger picture not just about today.
Surely there are more than 2 clubs out there who have a junior affiliation with a junior club,so the question I asked is what are you all bloody doing about it, DO YOU WANT YOUR CLUB TO BE HERE IN 20 YEARS TIME :)

Just an idea, what if the SFL pumped a little money into the Old Springvale VFA ground bringing it up to standard for regular night games, giving all clubs the oppurtunity to playing under lights every Friday night. For one, more people turn up to these games and its such a great ground to play footy on. thoughts?

Regular Friday night games would be awesome - was it difficult for the ressies to get there on time after work though? Maybe the seniors could play Friday & get the 2's playing Saturday so the clubs still get their bar sales.

They could play the 'match of the round' there every week making it easier to setup the tv & stuff.

Good to see Friday night, alive and well in the SFL. Ventured down to Springvale to watch a very good game, with Oakleigh trying their guts out, up against a polished side in Springvale Districts. The big fella up forward kicking goal after goal. Maybe should have kicked more, missing a number of easy ones. Varsallo kicking a great goal, seem like he was behind the grandstand when releasing it off the boot. 4qtrtime had mark of the day, not sure if he'd timed it well, but looked good either way. Springvale will be hard to beat, thats for sure.

Highett off to good start for the year with a win over Heatherton, we have got Tooronga Malvern at the kennel this Saturday. Come down if in the area.

My old mate Lloydy7, it is great fun playing at night! I recon the news channels and regular radio updates of where the rain was and when it was going to hit kept heaps of people at home. In the end it didn't even rain until well after the game!!!

Didn't time the leap but the Sherrins are so good they just stick to the hands. It was a good win all the same and we look forward to the challenge this week out at ashwood "Windy Hill"! I see Tickets kicked 6 and best we will need to stop him!

Highett great win plenty of goal kickers, important game this week need to beat Tooronga which I am confident will happen.

I watched East and Chelt Saturday, booring first half but second half East just blew them away. Jamieson of the Matt variety was very impressive hard man to stop he pushes forward and back, Hislop was in fine form and the Ruckman is handy as well. That to mention a few they have a very even side this year. McLeland to half forward in the second half was coaching genious by coach Stalk and he broke packs open and the small forwards just roved the packs and drilled them! Should be interesting to see where they end up. My prediction no injuries top 4!

:thumbsu: While I support and commend all the clubs mentioned trying to recruit and improve their club's position and ultimely achieve the ultimate and win a Premiership,it amazes me that not one of the clubs mentioned or very few clubs in the SFL are doing anything about junior development.
Only 2 clubs out of 29 in the comp could get an under 18 team up for this season which is dissappointing considering juniors are the foundation for a successful senior club and competition.If all these clubs mentioned spent 5 to 10% of their player budget on junior development rather than players who will only stay till the money runs out and put nothing back into the club then run off to the next club offering big dollars to them,maybe we need to start thinking about the bigger picture not just about today.
Surely there are more than 2 clubs out there who have a junior affiliation with a junior club,so the question I asked is what are you all bloody doing about it, DO YOU WANT YOUR CLUB TO BE HERE IN 20 YEARS TIME :)

Great post and very true. In my time at the Hampton Hammers, the committee and myself have worked tirelessly at forging a link with the East Sandringham junior FC. It has taken some work but we now have a combined "East Sandy Hammers" under 17's side in the MSJFL this season. It is our intention to elevate this side to under 18's in 2008 as the "Hampton Hammers" whilst continuing with an under 17 side also. This will provide for a strong base of players and depth that we currently don't have. Most importantly, our club will continue for years to come and prosper. Sadly some clubs have not taken any of these steps to seek alignment and/or the junior clubs are not looking to help these kids continue footy into their late teens and adulthood. Tom Hafey made an interesting statement that I heard last year in that of 180 kids (or thereabouts) in a youth detention facility, only one of them was involved with a sporting club. As a footy club, we should take on all responsibilities of developing kids into good human beings as well as improving their footy and in turn a club's success. But I digress....

There was no humanly way possible that we could have got an under 18 side off the ground from scratch this season and we are very fortunate and thankful for the assistance and support that we have got from East Sandringham. Hopefully we can foster this relationship for years to come, continue our club's existence and help set up our club for more premiership success in the next few years.

$150K is about on the money. St.Pauls, Clayton, East Brighton and Cheltenham are spending nowhere near that. Rumour has it that Mr Rich was going to tip in $75K if he got the Vampires gig in a deal that meant they had to match it so $150K sounds about right. The whole thing will end in tears and City down the shute when he tires of putting in that sort of bugs bunny. Just watch the mercenaries leave when the funds stop and they will, not good at all for footy overall. Pity when someone with dough treats a club as a plaything and an administration is so short sighted.

Geez wonder why the Vampires didn't take that deal?

I must admit I am not interested in the politics of the club but I think the Coach is actually one of the best coaches I have had. Training has been great and the club is starting to gel together really well.

Here I was thinking the club recruited a really good coach. If he's paying 75k a year than the boad have just done the best deal since Bill Gates bought DOS off of Steve Jobs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post and very true. In my time at the Hampton Hammers, the committee and myself have worked tirelessly at forging a link with the East Sandringham junior FC. It has taken some work but we now have a combined "East Sandy Hammers" under 17's side in the MSJFL this season. It is our intention to elevate this side to under 18's in 2008 as the "Hampton Hammers" whilst continuing with an under 17 side also. This will provide for a strong base of players and depth that we currently don't have. Most importantly, our club will continue for years to come and prosper. Sadly some clubs have not taken any of these steps to seek alignment and/or the junior clubs are not looking to help these kids continue footy into their late teens and adulthood. Tom Hafey made an interesting statement that I heard last year in that of 180 kids (or thereabouts) in a youth detention facility, only one of them was involved with a sporting club. As a footy club, we should take on all responsibilities of developing kids into good human beings as well as improving their footy and in turn a club's success. But I digress....

There was no humanly way possible that we could have got an under 18 side off the ground from scratch this season and we are very fortunate and thankful for the assistance and support that we have got from East Sandringham. Hopefully we can foster this relationship for years to come, continue our club's existence and help set up our club for more premiership success in the next few years.

Good post Hammer! I agree with your philosophy here and hope your club has great success with your junior venture.You seem to be on the right track!

In my view,no club should assume that just because they have U18's that these players will automatically move across to the seniors.You must ensure that you work the U18's into the senior environment socially also.

IMO, for the SFL to get up an U18 comp of their own in the short term would take an agreement between the SFL and the MSJFL whereas the MSJFL only field teams up to U16's.At present the MSJFL runs U17's with an U17 1/2 rule.Some clubs are fielding up to 10 players over 17 making the MSJFL U17 comp almost a pseudo U18 comp anyway!

I'm not sure of the value in clubs trying to run U16's and U17's , as these are very difficult age groups when it comes to player numbers.

Excellent comment re turning out good people as well as good footballers!

Good post Hammer! I agree with your philosophy here and hope your club has great success with your junior venture.You seem to be on the right track!

In my view,no club should assume that just because they have U18's that these players will automatically move across to the seniors.You must ensure that you work the U18's into the senior environment socially also.

IMO, for the SFL to get up an U18 comp of their own in the short term would take an agreement between the SFL and the MSJFL whereas the MSJFL only field teams up to U16's.At present the MSJFL runs U17's with an U17 1/2 rule.Some clubs are fielding up to 10 players over 17 making the MSJFL U17 comp almost a pseudo U18 comp anyway!

I'm not sure of the value in clubs trying to run U16's and U17's , as these are very difficult age groups when it comes to player numbers.

Not big noting but I raised the same thing at a league meeting 3 years ago about aligning ourselves with local Junior comps so that kids coming from Under 16's could stay together and play in a colts division.

This would then allow Snr clubs to align themselves with these Junior clubs.

Still waiting, maybe our new illustrious leader can take the ball and run with it ?:thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Regular Friday night games would be awesome - was it difficult for the ressies to get there on time after work though? Maybe the seniors could play Friday & get the 2's playing Saturday so the clubs still get their bar sales.

They could play the 'match of the round' there every week making it easier to setup the tv & stuff.
Why spend money on Springvale ground when SFL should be able to host a Sat or Fri night game at the new Linton Street Reserve in Moorabbin....where St Kilda AFL play etc, some $12 million being spent on upgrade etc

Thanks for your kind words!

Great idea. Plenty of positives would come from that...

Great idea. Plenty of positives would come from that...

not a great idea IMO.
most clubs need the home gate money and playing at Springvale would cost the lesser clubs a lot of money, up wards of $2000 a home game in bar takings, gate takings and food sales.

The SFL however could let clubs with good enough lighting host night games, but I say a sat'day night. Friday nights are just too hard with a lot of people working.

The reason why I left the club was that I offered to provide financial & business advice for free to the club and they decided not to take the offer. Then 6 weeks from the finals the SFL wanted their money or no finals for Parkmore, hence I figured that the board did not truly want to be succesfull. I decided that to spend money with that support structure was just meaningless and hence I applied for the Moorabbin job, only to be ousted by the incoming new president. Even the players met me and gave the yes vote. Then in the background Rod from St Kilda kept at me to take the challenge. In the end I decided that at least someone valued me and was prepared to back me (some 4 Div 1 clubs passed on me), the rest is or will be history.

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to be impartial to it all and give both sides Richard, even though I played for a club parkmore beat last season and am not 100% sold on the way the flag was won.

Best of luck for the season with City. Would actually enjoy seeing them play this season. Get Perry to pull his bloody finger out too.

I hope you did not play for North Kew as they were the most unlucky side in history, 2005 Moorabbin great side and the 2006 Parkmore Pirates (aptly named for a bunch of mercenaries I reckon)

Mobbenfuhrer,
May I have a reason as to why my last post was deleted?

A note re anything, anything, rumoured, unproven, assumed :

Allegations on this site, especially when in reference to the character of any person (whether forum user and/or player/admin/fan) are subject to what I call a "prove or remove" policy.

If you can't PROVE them, don't post them. I'll remove them.*

If you don't cease posting them, there is little choice left but to remove he/she that keeps posting them.

My policy is MUCH more lenient than that of most other mods on other boards, and is a watered down version of the rules that I sometimes cop flak for from the admin. I should really be levelling infractions at anyone ever found to 'muckrake', even once, with or without intent.

I don't enjoy pruning posts off the thread, and I'm usually very busy pruning a similar number of posts of each of the other threads in Regional Leagues.

Please keep posting within the rules (per BF regulations), and let me know if you see something you don't like.

Thanks for listening!

* 'a source' in not proof.
* 'know as a fact' in not proof.
* 'he told me himself' in not proof.
* 'i saw him' is not proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back