Roast Spud DMAC: 200 games of potatoes coming your way

Remove this Banner Ad

He's averaging about 17 touches, so a stock standard year for him. He's not hitting up targets or kicking goals, he's just back to being a pure nothing player taking up a half back spot that a much better player should be occupying.

I watch 5 game Milera come off half back, side step and deliver the ball to a team mate and think Wow

I watch 194 game MacKay run off half back and before he’s done anything I think Oh Christ here we go again

Seriously people get a life. His game suits a team of runners. We ate lucky if we have four in the whole team

Wow. Just wow.

Can you get more terrible when it comes to judging players?

Mackay is the type of player that gets better the further the ball is away from him. When he's anywhere near the ball you may as well have selected me instead; it's going to have the same level of effectiveness (and believe me, I realised I was an absolute potato when it came to football at around 11-12 years old)

DMac, my 7 year old who sat next to me at the game plays with more heart and courage than you.

Now this I completely disagree with.

If there are two things Dmac has, it's heart and courage. Despite being 50kgs soaking wet, he does put his head over the ball and body on the line at every moment he is required. Unfortunately, it's everything else to do with playing football that he struggles with.

I never thought I’d see an AFL player too scared to tackle an opponent....and they say the game hasn’t gone backwards in the last 10-20 years.
Could you imagine Dmack or Atkins getting a game in the 80’s or 90’s .... What a joke.

Yes. I could. Quite easily.

I couldn't imagine them getting a game for Essendon/Hawthorn, but you never know. There may be a spud we've all forgotten about.

Saints/Demons/North(80s)/Bulldogs/Souths or Sydney/Fitzroy/Richmond I could picture it. Says more about how they were managed though, similarly to how it screams about how we've been managed for the past decade (despite making progress in that regard, this has been a massive black mark).

If there are two things Dmac has, it's heart and courage. Despite being 50kgs soaking wet, he does put his head over the ball and body on the line at every moment he is required. Unfortunately, it's everything else to do with playing football that he struggles with.

He tackled a GWS player near Eddie’s pocket

Put everything he had into it and hung on for grim death

Made absolutely no difference. The other bloke easily got the ball away

But you know...run and carry

He tackled a GWS player near Eddie’s pocket

Put everything he had into it and hung on for grim death

Made absolutely no difference. The other bloke easily got the ball away

But you know...run and carry
I finally understood that 'run and carry' means that the player he's tackling runs away carrying him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a bit worried.. I sort of hope they don’t drop him now because I think we’re gonna lose more games than win from here on in with or without DMac in the team..

The worry is that if he’s not out on the field spudding it up during those loses.. they (the coaches) might think we’re losing because he’s not there!.. and give him another year instead of ****ing him off...

Please just delist him!!..

Trade Mackay? I wouldn't wish a Mackay contract on any club, even our worst enemy. It's been a nightmare watching this guy get selected week in week out for the best part of a decade. As I said previously, if you were to build the stereotype of a player who will not stand up in high pressure games (like finals) mackay is it.

He's a symbol of this clubs mediocrity.

Trade Mackay? I wouldn't wish a Mackay contract on any club, even our worst enemy. It's been a nightmare watching this guy get selected week in week out for the best part of a decade. As I said previously, if you were to build the stereotype of a player who will not stand up in high pressure games (like finals) mackay is it.

He's a symbol of this clubs mediocrity.

I would, but that's because I enjoy other clubs misery.

I’m not prepared to write Atkins off or compare him to Mackay. His best is actually BOG and he’s done this on a few occasions. Mackay best is in the top 15 on the ground and that happens once or twice a year.
If Rat can mature and cut the terrible parts of his game out (hack kicks to no one and soft inside work) he’ll be an asset to our future finals push.

I watch Rat pretty closely and he does put his body into places and accept physical contact. I think he's harshly judged there. Where he's not harshly judged is his ability to completely miss a tackle despite getting both arms to an opponent. I cannot understand how he fails so miserably despite getting to an opponent. At least Dmac gets dragged 5m before having to release. Still, there is no comparison seeing as both aren't in the side for their physical defensive skillset. And trying isn't effectiveness.

The Rat used to be elite in traffic - he would hold on to the ball and choose an option (not always the first). Now he seems to get caught a lot and his kicking has gone to ****. There is no point having outside mids if they don't average 30 at 80% DE.

And yet we're about to celebrate a 200 gamer that averages 17 at about 70%.

Yep, I reckon he will get the Hendo treatment, Thanks for your service and adios

I wish he'd had the Hendo treatment (90 games in 8 years ie approx 11 games a year, or selected ~50% of the time), as opposed to about 200 games in the last 10 years (20 a year ie pretty close to 100% ). For all the criticism of Henderson, the fact is he was a fringe player for pretty much his entire time here. Mackay has been in the 22 for a decade regardless of form (his or whoever he was keeping out of the team).

Credit to mackay this is definately entered his game the past few years. He used to be much softer effort wise than he is now

The Rat used to be elite in traffic - he would hold on to the ball and choose an option (not always the first). Now he seems to get caught a lot and his kicking has gone to ****. There is no point having outside mids if they don't average 30 at 80% DE.

Not having a go at you but that is so far from the truth it's not funny.

Whats happend over time is that there have been posts on Rat, almost cult following type stuff when he was about to break into the side. This has continued over time, the gushing and jizzing reaching mythological proportions to the extent any neutral observer would think Rat had won 20 Brownlow's.

The truth is Atkins has never been elite at anything and never will be.

He racks up some some decent stats at times but when can you recall him consistently hurting the opposition with the numbers he gets.......only time that stands out for me was for 2 quarters against Sydney earlier this year.

We would not miss Atkins if he wasn't playing, he does nothing consistently well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Spud DMAC: 200 games of potatoes coming your way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back