SSP Final Spot

Which player would you prefer to fill the final rookie spot?

• Quinton Narkle

Votes: 38 26.0%
  • Kaelan Bradtke

Votes: 53 36.3%
  • Other player (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Save spot for MSD

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Sydney Stack

Votes: 25 17.1%
  • Luke Teal

Votes: 14 9.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I just can't see Narkle being given the spot. He can't play anywhere else but midfield and who is he an upgrade on out of Ross, Graham, Cotchin, Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Dow and Sonsie?
I’m not advocating Narkle here but of that list there’s every chance that of those 8 players Cotchin, Graham and Dow will be gone come end 2023. With Bolton playing more of a forward / pinch hitting mid role.

I think he needs to show he’s more versatile than just as a pure attacking mid. Perhaps that’s what they are looking for from him over Summer.

I thought the Master Plan was to hold a spot for the mid season draft? So do we tell all these boys play in our VFL team and we will look closely at you come mid season (as will the Dodo no doubt).

I just can't see Narkle being given the spot. He can't play anywhere else but midfield and who is he an upgrade on out of Ross, Graham, Cotchin, Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Dow and Sonsie? Probably Dow and that's it. Teal sounds like he could be a long term replacement for Kmac or Pickett or Vlastuin and Bradtke plays the position we're most desperate for. Both of those guys make more sense than Narkle, if they're up to it.

If we were going to get him in it should've been 2 years ago but right now we'd be better off keeping a spot open for the MSD and seeing who impresses over the next few months.
Dow got mentioned by David Teague at the AGM. Said he’s flying this off season so I’ve got hopes for him. Bit of a make or break year for Dow imo

I’m not advocating Narkle here but of that list there’s every chance that of those 8 players Cotchin, Graham and Dow will be gone come end 2023. With Bolton playing more of a forward / pinch hitting mid role.

I think he needs to show he’s more versatile than just as a pure attacking mid. Perhaps that’s what they are looking for from him over Summer.
That's ok we still have Baker, Steely, Judson, Banks, Ralphsmith etc that might end up midfielders.
Dow got mentioned by David Teague at the AGM. Said he’s flying this off season so I’ve got hopes for him. Bit of a make or break year for Dow imo
Agree it's a make-or-break year but I can't see him forcing his way into this side. Out of contract and on the fringe. Hard to see him surviving.

The club sees Banks and Hugo as our next wing combo and Clarke as our Lambert replacement.

That leaves Baker and Steely from that list as undersized mids. Not sure that suffices.
Lucky we have Taranto and Hopper for another 7 years as the big bodies.

Narkle will be depth only. I'd prefer we took the risk on someone with more upside.

Lucky we have Taranto and Hopper for another 7 years as the big bodies.

Narkle will be depth only. I'd prefer we took the risk on someone with more upside.
Well yeah. Guys like Graham, Ross and Dow are depth in that position as well. But at the end of 2023 we may only be seeing one of those names on our list as well.

Who knows eh. Trust the club to make the right call.

I thought the Master Plan was to hold a spot for the mid season draft? So do we tell all these boys play in our VFL team and we will look closely at you come mid season (as will the Dodo no doubt).
Flawed plan as they’d likely slip from our grasp if indeed any good , we have enough time to make a qualified assessment

I'd go Bradtke.
Keep tabs on Teal thoughout next year.
Teal is not a need really atm.
We all have nil idea how he stacks up , I trust the club that if he’s the man that he’s impressed , right now I would have thought his credentials are a mile off afl std ,,,,but I ain’t an afl recruiter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks a decent size now
From the few games I have seen him play he seems to have the skills. If he now has a bit more size, then all he really needs is to string a few games together as a midfielder. The problem is it is hard to get the form to displace Cotchin and Prestia when you can't get into the side because Cotchin and Prestia are first Hardwicks first choice picks. This could be Damien Hardwick best or worst year of coaching.

From the few games I have seen him play he seems to have the skills. If he now has a bit more size, then all he really needs is to string a few games together as a midfielder. The problem is it is hard to get the form to displace Cotchin and Prestia when you can't get into the side because Cotchin and Prestia are first Hardwicks first choice picks. This could be Damien Hardwick best or worst year of coaching.
Even harder now with Taranto and Hopper to play on ball too. Gonna be a damn good problem to have through as Shai and Dusty will also rotate through there! Graham and Ross too🥺

He just has to smash the door down at VFL level and demand a spot then they cant ignore him - simple

Dow played in a couple of howler losses and failed to put up much resistance when the likes of GC and NM midfield ran riot. It’s up to him, this is modern richmond we don’t hand out games at the Lolly shop

Bradtke coming a long way back. Played 2 VFL games last season for Sydney and looked a long way off when averaging 8 disposals and a goal.
Narkle has good skills and has a good contested game but his poor endurance is a glaring weakness.
Teal a good young talent who is coming off a injury riddled draft year, Plays a position we are well stocked in.

No real great options, so if there any too many question marks over the 3 contenders we should keep the spot for the MSD.

Last edited:
Narkle is a dud. Has been given plenty of opportunities and hasn't taken them.
Even at VFL level, he looked mediocre.
I hate the Cats but they generally get the best out of their players and rarely do you see someone leave the Cats and go on to have a better career elsewhere.

I'd rather we go for a speculative pick with more potential upside.

I hate the Cats but they generally get the best out of their players and rarely do you see someone leave the Cats and go on to have a better career elsewhere.

Kent Kingsley...3 games, 2 goals for Richmond....

So?

Who is Teal behind playing off half back?

I’m not advocating Narkle over Teal btw, and I think Narkle needs to show more versatility, but I don’t think we have the depth in midfield post 23 many think we do.

You are right in that a lot depends on the development of sonsie. Ross. Graham. Etc.

I liked the look of MRioliJ in the middle - vfl games . Hopefully he ends up a mid option too.

I would guess the long term idea is:

Campbell - forward.
Smith - back.
Green - mid

Sonsie - mid/forward
Clarke - forward
Banks - wing/mid/hbf
Brown - back
Gibcus - swing man.

Teal draft summary sounds promising, would be a good addition imho

You are right in that a lot depends on the development of sonsie. Ross. Graham. Etc.

I liked the look of MRioliJ in the middle - vfl games . Hopefully he ends up a mid option too.

I would guess the long term idea is:

Campbell - forward.
Smith - back.
Green - mid

Sonsie - mid/forward
Clarke - forward
Banks - wing/mid/hbf
Brown - back
Gibcus - swing man.

Teal draft summary sounds promising, would be a good addition imho
I’d hope they play the following sorts of roles…

Campbell - Ainsworth
Green- Baker
Smith- Saad
Sonsie- Prestia
Clarke- Lambert
Banks - A Brayshaw
Brown - Stewart
Gibcus - Lever
M Rioli- K Pickett

There have been a few but you are right it is not common.

Ones that spring to mind:

Mumford, Laidler, Varcoe, McCarthy, Christensen, Caddy, Colbert, Denham, Greg Williams, Adrian Fletcher, Ryan Gardiner, Bluey Hampshire, Adrian Hickmott, Graham Landy, Andy Preston, Brent Moloney, Steven Motlop, Paul Sarah, Robert Scott, Bernard Toohey, Doug Wade, and of course who could possibly forget Warwick Yates’ stellar career at Geelong West after departing Geelong all those years ago. 😁

There have been a few but you are right it is not common.

Ones that spring to mind:

Mumford, Laidler, Varcoe, McCarthy, Christensen, Caddy, Colbert, Denham, Greg Williams, Adrian Fletcher, Ryan Gardiner, Bluey Hampshire, Adrian Hickmott, Graham Landy, Andy Preston, Brent Moloney, Steven Motlop, Paul Sarah, Robert Scott, Bernard Toohey, Doug Wade, and of course who could possibly forget Warwick Yates’ stellar career at Geelong West after departing Geelong all those years ago. 😁
How many of those were de-listed? At a quick glance, I would say sweet **** all.

I'm not often definitive about a player, but I reiterate that Narkle is a dud and we should avoid.

Remove this Banner Ad

SSP Final Spot

Back