St Kilda are going nowhere with Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe we are no where near our 04-06 years.
We're definately not the team we used to be, however, I'll take finishing
fourth, not because I think we can beat Geelong, but because I didnt want to have to play interstate against Adelaide if we didnt finish 4th.

Geelong imo are quite ahead of everyone else, but I think we'd be right with them if we were playing like the 04-06 years.

Still, this year has been a suprise to say the least, I did not expect to finish 4th, especially with some of our dismal performance's.

Still, last year Port made the grand final, and imo, it should have been Collingwood, but I guess thats the luck of the draw sometimes... we lost the 04/05 seasons to teams that won the grand final, kinda sucks when you know that you should be there.

The thread title was 'St Kilda are going nowhere with Ross Lyon'.

Now, in his second year as coach, he has taken us to the top four and double chance. Which is a damn sight better than our performance the season prior to his appointment.

So what's your problem?

Year's now over yet pal.

Yup, pretty much is for the Saints. Out in straight sets. :thumbsu:

Well haven't all the saints flogs all of a sudden appeared with more front than a rat with a golden tooth...

And won't it be just as funny to see them all scurrying away in 2 weeks time back to their own board (as baron as it is) bemoaning the fact that Lyon is a dimwitted flog of a coach.

Dark days ahead for saints fans. Should have stayed in the lower reaches of the ladder where they are most comfortable to pick up an early pick or two. Remind me a lot of Danny Frawley's Richmond. Kept topping up with crap in the misguided opinion that they were close to a flag. Will set your club back another 10 years...

Well haven't all the saints flogs all of a sudden appeared with more front than a rat with a golden tooth...

And won't it be just as funny to see them all scurrying away in 2 weeks time back to their own board (as baron as it is) bemoaning the fact that Lyon is a dimwitted flog of a coach.

Dark days ahead for saints fans. Should have stayed in the lower reaches of the ladder where they are most comfortable to pick up an early pick or two. Remind me a lot of Danny Frawley's Richmond. Kept topping up with crap in the misguided opinion that they were close to a flag. Will set your club back another 10 years...
Dempster, Schnieder and King ain't crap

OK, so maybe I should slightly revise my previous statement, but not much. Please note that I did say St Kilda's LIST was very good, even capable of a flag. I said they were heading nowhere under Ross Lyon, but over the last seven weeks they have started to play much better footy and credit to them, landed themselves in the 4.

I'm very much looking forward to see how they match the Cats. I dont think the Cats will have it easy at all, having said that I expect Geelong to win.

But St Kilda would probably expecting at least a prelim from this position, in which case they will be in the same position they were in 4 years ago.

AND Cat fans are being quite arrogant in this thread. Lets face it, out of North, Adelaide and St Kilda, I think the Saints are the best chance of beating us, so lets enjoy what will hopefully be a good contest.

Schneider and Dempster are under 25 and good players, King is there whilst our young rucks develop.

Going by you Cats fans we could have aquired the best players in the world and they would be list cloggers cause nobody is going to beat the mighty Cats for the next few years.

Look you sound like a nice guy so I will go easy on you. In my opinion the saints should have been more realistic at the end of 2007 at where there list was. Sydney would be the only team that have successfully added other teams rejects to their list to the extent St Kilda have and gone on to win a flag. It may result in a temporary period of playing in a finals series or two, but ultimately the club is worse off.

The Hawthorn model, which was incidently based on what Geelong did in 1999 and 2001, is to build a team with a group of players of a similar age moving through and developing together. Some teams bottom out when doing it (ala Carlton and Melbourne; Hawks also were fairly cynical in the way they went about it), but St Kilda needn't have done this. Keep adding to your list through the draft and get rid of the crap is the way to go for sustained success.

Look you sound like a nice guy so I will go easy on you. In my opinion the saints should have been more realistic at the end of 2007 at where there list was. Sydney would be the only team that have successfully added other teams rejects to their list to the extent St Kilda have and gone on to win a flag. It may result in a temporary period of playing in a finals series or two, but ultimately the club is worse off.

The Hawthorn model, which was incidently based on what Geelong did in 1999 and 2001, is to build a team with a group of players of a similar age moving through and developing together. Some teams bottom out when doing it (ala Carlton and Melbourne; Hawks also were fairly cynical in the way they went about it), but St Kilda needn't have done this. Keep adding to your list through the draft and get rid of the crap is the way to go for sustained success.

Which we have been doing, also making good use of the rookie list under Lyon. Since 04-05 we have lost our older players the guys who were the young guys from the 97 era, we still have a core of 24-25yr olds who were the young guns of 04-05 some of whom are coming into there own like Goddard. Clarke and Gwilt are starting to cement their places.

Any older players that we have recruited have been to fill the gaps in list (i.e. the ruck department) whilst our young drafties like McEvoy develop.
Gehrig was worth a punt it didnt work out but has been replaced with the use of the rookie list.

Lets get a little perspective here.

If Jack Reiwoldt had kicked his after siren goal to win the game for Richmond against the Saints, then St Kilda woud not have even finished in the fnal eight!

So, before you guys get too carried away, you snuck in by the skin of your teeth.

The thread title was 'St Kilda are going nowhere with Ross Lyon'.

Now, in his second year as coach, he has taken us to the top four and double chance. Which is a damn sight better than our performance the season prior to his appointment.

So what's your problem?

Year's now over yet pal.

Not sure how you can say that. 14 wins in 2006 with a better percentage and but for AFL intervention would have also finished top 4.

However we did finish 4th and deserved it on our second half performance.

I would say we are a monty for a Prelim berth by either route.

If Jack Reiwoldt had kicked his after siren goal to win the game for Richmond against the Saints, then St Kilda woud not have even finished in the fnal eight!

So, before you guys get too carried away, you snuck in by the skin of your teeth.

We would have just beaten Essendon by 25 goals, or whatever was needed to tip Collingwood out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if Lenny Hayes could kick goals Collingwood would be out of the eight and we'd still be in 4th place, aren't "if's" great :D

They will not win you a flag. Pure and simple. List cloggers.

Schneider and Dempster are both 24 years old and have both played in 2 grand finals and you reckon these guys are supposedly list cloggers :confused:

Seriously knuckles you should think before you type utter rubbish because it's you who is looking like a flog now!!:(

Do us all a favour and run along now back to your circle jerk board :thumbsu:

What's with the anger of Geelong fans towards St Kilda? I've never understood it.

I'm happy to have made a Preliminary Final. I'd prefer to win a premiership.

That's the club's position and the supporters, too.

don't write us off yet.
our year thus far is quite similar to Sydney's in 2005 and adelaide in 1997.
but then again, there wasnt a team as dominate as geelong in those years. then again....anythign can happen on any day. geelong might not even make it to the gf. you never know.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda are going nowhere with Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back