St Kilda vs Collingwood 1993

Remove this Banner Ad

The players looked bigger than today's mob. Some looked more like rugby league players. I suppose if they were allowed to stay in their positions rather than run all over the place like our modern headless chooks, they could afford to spend more time in the gym (and the pub and Maccas)

They couldn't even get a decent replay of Frawley clocking Christian. What did make me laugh was how the commentators tried to explain it away as just a hard clash. It's the opposite now and they try and make anything into a 4 week suspension and a national disgrace. I also saw Gavin Brown clash heads with the St Kilda ruckman in a bump. I wonder how much review that would get now.

Only about 10 years ago players like Byron Pickett and Beau Waters were dishing out severe punishment to those who dared try and get the ball, and it was perfectly legal so long as they didn't fly up and elbow them in the head.

The game changes. Some of it is bad - the rolling maul is one I agree with. But much of the rest is good imo.

Needs its own section.
Hot Topic: The Maul, Holding the Ball and the State of the Game.

You're probably right. It's amazing to think St Kilda made a GF just 4 years later. Had they kept Lockett, McAdam and Rice until then we Port supporters wouldn't have to put up with hearing "97-98" every other day 16 years after the fact!
We had no chance to keep Lockett but McAdam, Rice would of been great to have in 1997.

It was odd seeing Alan Richardson too, he looked like he has not aged one bit (but we can change that)

You're probably right. It's amazing to think St Kilda made a GF just 4 years later. Had they kept Lockett, McAdam and Rice until then we Port supporters wouldn't have to put up with hearing "97-98" every other day 16 years after the fact!
They probably just needed Everit to play.

With the benefit of high definition on demand super slo-mo replays that the armchair viewers get, there's a lot of bitching when a goal umpire gets it wrong, even though in real time it can be bloody hard. Trust me, if the technology was available back then it would've been used.

Then why not replace the goal umpire by technology all together?

If they can't see if the ball went for a behind or a goal, then the speed of a ball is too fast for the human eye to read.

Saints should have won a flag in the 90's. Collingwood should have won more than one.

We were lucky we didn't run into a red hot Hawthorn back in 90. I don't know if that myth of premiership hangover was true or not but we never recaptured the same form for the rest of the 90s.

Anyway does anyone know If that box full of Collywobbles is still buried at Vic park?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This 1993 match at Victoria Park was on NITV last night, and again at 12:30pm today.

Heartbreaking to see how open the game used to be.
A lot of the rules post 2000 were made in order to make the game more "free flowing" and with less congestion. One example is the brought in the deliberate rules... deliberate out of bounds, deliberate rush behind. In 1993, you could deliberately knock the ball out and it's just a throw in. The AFL wanted to force to keep the ball in play so they created the deliberate rules with the intent to make it more free flowing. Funny how well that worked out.

No rolling mauls then. Watch how quickly the umps blow it up and bounce the ball. Surprisingly few holding the ball decisions were necessary. But they were paid.
You could tackle anyhow and it was just a tackle, not in the back. A push in the back had to be a literal push in the back... why... what a concept. :rolleyes: Players weren't ducking because they weren't encouraged to (by the umps), and holding the ball; what that was really about is "hogging the ball". You couldn't grab the ball and just keep it tackle after tackle... but they weren't hot on it, so players could be first to the ball and attempt to get rid of it the best way possible. The reward was for the player first to the ball.

The coverage seemed much more intimate at Victoria Park. The game lost something when it moved to the big stadiums.
I disagree here, the MGC was always around, long ago it held even more people. AO is doing well with great atmosphere and large numbers, it certainly not less intimate than football park. There can also be bad atmosphere at small grounds. I think the state of the game, the "nany" state at grounds and political correctness may have something to do with what else the game lost.

We were lucky we didn't run into a red hot Hawthorn back in 90. I don't know if that myth of premiership hangover was true or not but we never recaptured the same form for the rest of the 90s.

Anyway does anyone know If that box full of Collywobbles is still buried at Vic park?
I think it is but am not sure as Before the Game had Mick Malloy dig them up before the 2010 grand final but i dont think that is legit.

If they showed a crap game from 1993 would you hold the same opinion? Easy to think that 1993 was filled with open, high speed, high scoring classics worthy of a replay 20 years later.
Both teams finished outside the finals (St.Kilda finished fourth last). It was simply a different game back then. Teams would look to move the ball quickly, they were always looking to hit the scoreboard, there was no 'keepings off' element and certainly no kicking backwards and sideways.

Unfortunately, the game has changed for the worse and we all have to accept and embrace the current 'chess style' we have on offer.

That was when Footy was Footy

Amen brother, those were the days.

They couldn't even get a decent replay of Frawley clocking Christian. What did make me laugh was how the commentators tried to explain it away as just a hard clash. It's the opposite now and they try and make anything into a 4 week suspension and a national disgrace. I also saw Gavin Brown clash heads with the St Kilda ruckman in a bump. I wonder how much review that would get now.

Yeah I laughed too how the commentators ignored Frawley whacking Christian, it wasn't a great angle but it was pretty obvious what happened. Now the commentators dob them in by highlighting it and suggesting how many weeks they should get which I can't stand as it influences the MRP/Tribunal like the Lake incident.

Brown would probably be in trouble these days with the MRP for that bump on Bingham due to being reckless even though it was just an accidental head clash. Don't know what happened to Bingham, he had a pretty good game, I guess Everitt and Vidovic kept him out of the team after that.

Both teams finished outside the finals (St.Kilda finished fourth last).

Winmar took time out after this game to reassess his football future. It knocked us around a bit, losing the next 5.

Winmar took time out after this game to reassess his football future. It knocked us around a bit, losing the next 5.

Yeah he went back to WA for a while and St Kilda had to send people over to coax him back.

He was a phenomenal player back then when he was at his peak. I remember going to Saints games here in Perth during the 90s and you'd always see quite a few aboriginal kids wearing Saints gear and they were there to see one man. Every time Winmar touched the ball you could see them all getting excited, they weren't the only ones, he was one of my favourite players too, sensational player to watch.

I'll never forget the night he was BOG against Carlton in 1996 when we won the Ansett Cup.

Even back then, clearly that prick Goldspink was biased against the pies, play on for all the pies should of been frees and nailed the pies at will at every chance he got. Umpiring has always been bad, but currently its at its lowest, just as much grandstanding as the journalism and the commentating.

Quite amazing to think that an injury to one player actually helped the crows somewhat.

Needed Everitt and Vidovic to be fit in 97.

If Vidovic was fit there would have been carnage.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda vs Collingwood 1993

Remove this Banner Ad

Back