Rumour Stars on the leash - Knights / Pav to Collingwood? Non monsiuer

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Stars on the loose - Chris Knights to Collingwood?

There is no chance of getting Pav.

We simply are "hamstrung" with what we will have to get him over the line. It simply cannot be done.

Pav is going to finish his career a Docker. He has had plenty of opportunities over the journey to leave but he stayed loyal to Freo. It won't change now.

As for Cloke, he will be a magpie. There is no issue or cause for concern in regards to him. He won't leave in a time where we are pressing for silverware and he will be rewarded accordingly contract-wise.

On Punt Road End someone seems to think that Trav has been offered $800k by GC. *IF* true you could understand him going really, it would be double what we will pay him.

Good! I don't want it to be, just thought I would mention it in the context of the Trav/Pav situation.

On Punt Road End someone seems to think that Trav has been offered $800k by GC. *IF* true you could understand him going really, it would be double what we will pay him.

It depends on your motivation though, I personally wouldn't begrudge him taking it but I wouldn't think it is something that is going to sway everyone. Given his age and the strength of our list he has a realistic chance at playing in a premiership with the club he has started at and still make a very comfortable living.

On top of that he is playing infront of huge crowds who love the club and love the game week in and week out.

On the flip side he would be going to a club with very little interest at home games and very little chance of success in the near future. On the plus side he'd be paid more.

If he was on 80-100 and was offered 800 I'd understand a bit more but when his at least clearing 200 I don't think money is always going to be the top influence.

it will be an interesting year because there will be plenty of other clubs after him....yet no one really has a good draft pick to offer.

So the fact we have such good players in our depth could be a real selling point.

Still reckon it is highly unlikely we are going to be able to get him...although I would like him because he is a goal-kicker

How about we Luke Ball him?

Basically, we pretend we are going to trade for him, waste all of Adelaide's time in trade week, and then have his manager come out and all but say he won't play for anyone but Collingwood, and we pick him up with our first pick.

Hey, it worked last year, although that was Stkilda, and they are pretty dumb.

How about we Luke Ball him?

Basically, we pretend we are going to trade for him, waste all of Adelaide's time in trade week, and then have his manager come out and all but say he won't play for anyone but Collingwood, and we pick him up with our first pick.

Hey, it worked last year, although that was Stkilda, and they are pretty dumb.

I somehow think that Neil Craig isn't as stupid as Ross Lyon.. In saying that, is anyone as stupid as him? :D

i get to watch the Crows a lot since im in Adelaide and i would love to see Knights at Collingwood. The bloke can seriously play when fit. Has a massive kick on him and generally converts. Would def be in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure we could get him if he wanted to return home and play for Collingwood.

I've said in other threads his trade value is somewhere between 12-25.

Salary cap won't be an issue. SOB, Lockyer, Corrie (perhaps Presti too) will be finishing up and freeing up coin and movement. Plus we have re-signed everyone except Cloke thus far. Knights' salary would be worth somewhere between 350-400K.

Alot of speculation has also linked Wood with a return home to SA too.

We could fit him in now, but what I'm concerned about is what happens in the next two years when young players contracts come up for renewal, will we have the doughage?

We need Cam Wood... he is only 24-25 and ruckmen hit their prime around 27-28.

If Fraser goes then he is our only AFL experienced backup.

We have a lot of Knights type hff/mids

I tend to agree. He's a good player, but I back our ability to bring the VFL guys up to the level. Sidebumhole, Beams, Rounds can fulfil this role for us.

Surposedly 3AW said today Cloke to GC and Pav is trying to get to the Pies. Did not hear it myself

On Cloke to GC, I severly doubt they still have $ in the order of 800k to throw around. I'd be very suprised if they could offer much more than us right now to be frank. I'm assuming here that they've got Ablett, Rischitelli, Krakouer, Harbrow, Brown on top of Bock at 600k a year - and one or two others we don't know about yet.

I'm happy to trade on players like Anthony who can't get a game, but for early picks or young players at other clubs that Hine rated but haven't got a shot yet and therefore whose value is still low and upside is good.

I rate Knights very highly and he'd be a star for us if he stayed fit - but he wouldn't come cheap. Hard to see how it could happen if there's any truth to it.

Could all be baseless newspaper speculation.

Luke Balling him would require other clubs passing him up in the draft, it's not going to happen. Ball got to us in the draft because due to his age and player type there was not a whole heap of clubs who where going to be willing to spend a 1st or second rounder on a guy like him. It needed a side in a premiership tilt, with room in the salary cap, who needed an inside midfielder with questionable finishing skills. On the flip side Knights age means any side would be happy to take him.

If we could trade Medhurst/Lockyer/Davis to Freo who might see themselves in a premiership window, O'Bree retires and we can get some picks from GC then we should look at a deal for Knights. Unless a few cards fell into place early in trade week though, we'd have very little chance. We actually have a bit to deal with for a change and clubs probably look at a willingness to trade Wellingham and Goldsack as a sign we don't just offer up crap. Maybe we can sell someone on McCarthy. Maybe Adelaide would be interested in Toovey or Goldsack? Maybe "right in front of me!"?

Chris Knights year long injury should reduce his worth. He hasn't played in a year, and no one knows whether he will have this injury (injuries) chronically, or whether he will be fine. Still worth a first rounder, but surely not much more. Cloke is ridiculous. And I am one of the few who probably wouldn't care overly much were he to go to the Gold Coast, so long as we get the first rounder compensation that we can use after our pick until 2015. We are likely to finish bottom 8 in at least one year by then (hopefully closer to then), and the extra salary cap space could come in handy come free agency.

But Knights would be very very handy and you cannot tell me his role will be filled by Sidebottom, Beams or Rounds. Knights is a midfielder/half forward that can kick 40 goals in a season. We only have one player in our side like that and his name is Alan Didak. These types of players do not grow on trees, and to think Sidebottom, Beams or Rounds or anyone else on our list could do that is wishful thinking.

We should be looking to draft a Chris Knights type either this year or next, but if we could pick up Knights it would alleviate that need, and we could concentrate on KP, or another area of need.

I was listening to some Adelaide ABC radio before the Crows game and the guys on there was saying that Ryan Griffen was going to be swapped for Knights - and obviously some draft picks. It seems that Griffen in from SA and he wants to go back....The guy on the radio said it was a done deal.

Now I realise that the ABC radio boys in Adelaide are feral crows supporters and they're talking the trade up...but I thought I would throw this into the mix

At the moment Beams and Sidebottom are not as handy in front of goals as Knights, but Knights has been around since 2005.

Knights had a total of 10 goals from his first 50 games over four years, with an average disposal count of 15.6.

Beams has a total of 38 (so far) from his first 38 games over two years, with an average disposal count of 19.6.

In 2009 Knights was plonked forward where he average two a game. It's not a bad return at all and he's very accurate, but who's to say Beams or Dick or Sidebum couldn't manage 2 a game if plonked up forward?

He's better at present (or should I say his 2009 pre-injury form) but even if our young guys don't improve any more after a third pre-season, is he that much more of an improvement that we need to land him?

. These types of players do not grow on trees, and to think Sidebottom, Beams or Rounds or anyone else on our list could do that is wishful thinking.

I am keen to get Knights, but the above is just plain wrong.

Beams is 20 years old in his second season and has kicked 25 goals and averages 22 disposals a game this season.

Sidebottom, has only managed 16 but he is capable in years to come of getting up around the 40 mark as well, depending on where he is used.

Chris Knights year long injury should reduce his worth. He hasn't played in a year, and no one knows whether he will have this injury (injuries) chronically, or whether he will be fine. Still worth a first rounder, but surely not much more. Cloke is ridiculous. And I am one of the few who probably wouldn't care overly much were he to go to the Gold Coast, so long as we get the first rounder compensation that we can use after our pick until 2015. We are likely to finish bottom 8 in at least one year by then (hopefully closer to then), and the extra salary cap space could come in handy come free agency.

But Knights would be very very handy and you cannot tell me his role will be filled by Sidebottom, Beams or Rounds. Knights is a midfielder/half forward that can kick 40 goals in a season. We only have one player in our side like that and his name is Alan Didak. These types of players do not grow on trees, and to think Sidebottom, Beams or Rounds or anyone else on our list could do that is wishful thinking.

We should be looking to draft a Chris Knights type either this year or next, but if we could pick up Knights it would alleviate that need, and we could concentrate on KP, or another area of need.

This :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Stars on the leash - Knights / Pav to Collingwood? Non monsiuer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back