State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Growing up I was a massive footy fan, and NMFC were my team.

With the ongoing degradation of the sport, I'm now a NMFC fan and barely watch any games that we aren't involved in.
I have been this way for many years now.

I simply cannot watch games as a neutral and get bent out of shape about umpiring for teams I do not care about.

Did one of our players get up Fisher when he was impersonating a player? Cos **** me does he love crucifying us these days. What a turnip.
I gave him a mouthful over the boundary does that count?

He is an appalling umpire with huge bias.

They're all shit.
A mate has said the AFL disbanded a training academy a few years back, maybe due to Covid not sure.
That is being reinstated now.
But the standard of umpiring is going to remain critically shit.

How did the ARC one get missed? Literally have all the time in the world to look at all the angles and make a straightforward decision. Yet the game kept going without any delay.

Either they didn't look at or just gave it a cursory glance. There's no way that sort of call can be the wrong one. Shambles.

Watching that last 50m ignored on the replay and it is worse than live. That has to be the easiest 50m penalty ever. Staggering.

How did the ARC one get missed? Literally have all the time in the world to look at all the angles and make a straightforward decision. Yet the game kept going without any delay.

Either they didn't look at or just gave it a cursory glance. There's no way that sort of call can be the wrong one. Shambles.
Not enough AFL umpires and ARC employees support North so their bias isn't an issue and 50-50s, such as the ones we saw today, don't go our way.

Its how it is. We are not relevant enough or successful enough to be taken seriously.
It is why mistakes more than often happen at our games than any other.

There is no stake on the line. Its North. Who gives a shit.
Its why they give us Fisher.
And they give us Eleni.
And Razor Ray.
And Nick Brown number 13.
And Simon Overlands twin, Matthew Nichols.
And the worst of the lot until now, Nathan Toner.

We all know them. We recognise them. They stand out. And this is a major issue. There surely has to be better than this shit lot

Umpiring is the worst it has ever been. These cints apparently draw a 6 figure salary for it as well…

**** off.
They get paid more than a lot of doctors, on top of jobs they work outside of the system.

Last edited:
remember when the Gill sat down with clarko to discuss the umpiring of the game? LOL that'll never happen again now he's at north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just absolutely totally utterly sick of it. Those perceived to be good players or good teams get umpired differently. Every. Single. Time.
I don’t care how good a player Daicos is, I hate watching him play

This x 1000

It’s not just Daicos, there are plenty of others where the umpire thinks “oh it’s that player, they wouldn’t have been caught with the ball”

It’s been like that for at least 10 years.

I'd be interested to know what our stats are for 50s this year. We seem to cough em up but we don't seem to get many.
It depends on the club. Some clubs only have to fart and it’s 50, where others can do what they like and be given the benefit of the doubt.

Unfortunately we fall into the only have to fart category.

It depends on the club. Some clubs only have to fart and it’s 50, where others can do what they like and be given the benefit of the doubt.

Unfortunately we fall into the only have to fart category.

In that case we also seem to suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and lactose intolerance on a Big M bender while gobbling down baked beans by the truckload.

Watching that last 50m ignored on the replay and it is worse than live. That has to be the easiest 50m penalty ever. Staggering.

I don't even think it was bias or anything. It's just an umpire who wasn't big enough for the moment, knowing that calling 50 likely decides the game and he'll have a whole arena of ferals going nuts. In that split second, it's easier to just not pay it.

I don't even think it was bias or anything. It's just an umpire who wasn't big enough for the moment, knowing that calling 50 likely decides the game and he'll have a whole arena of ferals going nuts. In that split second, it's easier to just not pay it.
Then you would hope that he isn’t umpiring at the level next week?

If he isn’t good enough or strong enough to make the right call and folds to pressure like that, then go and umpire in the lower leagues until you learn to make the call that is your job instead of acting like a deer in headlights and doing nothing or taking that easy option.

Does anyone honestly think of the teams were reversed that there is a non-call? Being Collingwood you can bet that one of the four would have made the call, even if one didn’t.

What’s the point of having four if not one can make what was the simplest of decisions? We aren’t even taking a 50-50 call it was a blatant 50 and one of the easiest calls of the year.

I refer back to the post I made about times in the past year where Collingwood were hanging onto leads in the last minute of games where they suddenly decide to put the whistle away when the opposition are making their last charge. All in Melbourne against interstate or a smaller Melbourne club.

Completely amateur hour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back