Stenglein decides

Remove this Banner Ad

Fred Phillis said:
John Reid said today

"So whatever comes in return has to be very, very high."
"I don't think you've got any option but to consider those things, because we've put a lot of time, a lot of effort, a lot of money into Tyson Stenglein.
"He's going home at 24 years of age a very accomplished midfielder and a lot of time and effort's gone into that from the football club.
"This is a national competition and people who go into that industry need to accept that.
"We've put a lot of time and effort into it and we'd want good compensation."
"We're talking about someone who finishes up in the top three or four in our club championship over three or four years, someone who's played 100 games, who's got leadership qualities, someone who's recognised as a good midfielder-tagger, and in his own right a good midfield player.
"Everyone will have different values on that, we won't discuss that publicly, but all I will say is you equate that in player terms it's pretty high.
"From our perspective our first priority quite clearly will be to get a player of equal value."

He was WA schoolboys captain in 95 & 96 and later WA U18 captain - No disrespect to Reid, but I would have thought he would have required less time and effort than most players.

i can see the club playing hard ball with this trade. he's a quality player, and they have obviously thrown everything at him to get him to stay...

we've been bent over the trade table on too many times before, its time to do the shafting! :D :p

Jabber said:
He was WA schoolboys captain in 95 & 96 and later WA U18 captain - No disrespect to Reid, but I would have thought he would have required less time and effort than most players.
Converting a FB into a midfielder is no easy task. No disrespect BUT its one mighty task to transform an underage FB who has never played in the midfieled into a midfielder of Stenglein's quality.

Not only has he been successfully turned into one but he also has finished in top 4 or 5 in the Best and Fairest for the last 3 or 4 years.

Stiffy_18 said:
Converting a FB into a midfielder is no easy task. No disrespect BUT its one mighty task to transform an underage FB who has never played in the midfieled into a midfielder of Stenglein's quality.

Not only has he been successfully turned into one but he also has finished in top 4 or 5 in the Best and Fairest for the last 3 or 4 years.

Correct Stiffy. He Started off on a HB flank with us, before moving to the wing where he played for about 2 years.

From there he moved to the mid-field as a pure tagger before developing his current role as an on-baller/tagger who is good at centre clearances.

The Stenglein of today is a far cry from the skinny young defender that came here some years back. As Reidy said, a lot of time and assistance has gone into his development and success.

Fred Phillis said:
trust me: stenglein's manager will meet with both WA clubs - freo first (next week in fact), and wait until WCE out of finals to talk with them...

Good. Schammer from Freo or Waters from WCE. Do the trade with the first one prepared to sign on the dotted line.

macca23 said:
Good. Schammer from Freo or Waters from WCE. Do the trade with the first one prepared to sign on the dotted line.

couldn't agree more...and try and get a draft pick thrown in for good measure as stenglein has proven his worth, schammer/waters still in the potential bracket - but agreed, both potentially damn good

Jabber said:
Waters. We aren't short of Butler types.

Correct, but thats not to say Butler is a lesser player, he's just had less oppurtunities because of all our midfielders.

I would say if they are going to trade it would be a second tier player, ie. Chambers, Green, Adkins etc etc.

Either that or try his luck in the draft and hope to buggery no one picks him up before the Eagles do, thats if the Eagles want him.

Its understandable he wants to come to the Eagles, hes a good looking guy wanting to hook up with a group of good looking blokes ;)

Arsene Wenger said:
Stinga is a good player -- but if the corws can go about this well they will win from this trade

A waters, butler or even someone like seaby may well be offered

BUt i say go for JUDD!!!

What I suggest Mr. soccer nut, keep your eye on the price and worry about trying to help port win that elusive final. :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EagleEyed said:
I would say if they are going to trade it would be a second tier player, ie. Chambers, Green, Adkins etc etc.

Hmmm yes that seems fair...... you get a first tier player and we get a second tier player. NOT!!!!

macca23 said:

I'd be surprised if either WA club went with that, but I've been surprised before.

I really don't agree with players doing this sort of thing (even if we may benefit this time) - it tries to hold the club to ransom.

The Eagles do have a lot of midfielders already and could probably afford to lose one, but I wouldn't like to say who it would be. Butler looks fantastic and is very young with a lot of upside - I really don't want to lose him either.

Humm and Chambers are quite good players in fact - and people who slag them probably haven't seen them play (as I have in AFL and WAFL) - but clearly not in Stenglein's class. With a sweetener draft pick and in the absence of another offer, maybe Adelaide would go for one of them, but maybe not.

RooDog said:
hope like hell edwards changes to number 20

or go to like

Rhett35

or

Brett24

:D funny stuff...

i could use one with the word "Dog" in it, but there are alreay to many of them...Mad_Dog, Hot_Dog, RooDog...etc etc boring.... :p

i reckon ive got one sorted, but ill hold off using it until Ty has actually left... ;)

baaaallllll said:
Hmmm yes that seems fair...... you get a first tier player and we get a second tier player. NOT!!!!

Just because a player is a second tier player at one club doesn't mean they can't be first tier at another! :rolleyes:

i could use one with the word "Dog" in it, but there are alreay to many of them...Mad_Dog, Hot_Dog, RooDog...etc etc boring.... :p

i reckon ive got one sorted, but ill hold off using it until Ty has actually left...

how about adamsaliba43 :D

EagleEyed said:
Just because a player is a second tier player at one club doesn't mean they can't be first tier at another! :rolleyes:

mate, you guys are doing well at the right time of the year and as I have said in previous threads I will be hoping for a West Coast flag this year but it was only a year ago that we knocked you out of the finals and Stinger would have walked straight into your side.

baaaallllll said:
mate, you guys are doing well at the right time of the year and as I have said in previous threads I will be hoping for a West Coast flag this year but it was only a year ago that we knocked you out of the finals and Stinger would have walked straight into your side.

A year is a long time in footy as you would now know. Stinger is now walking straight out of your side, and facing a traffic jam at the Eagles midfield.

I just reckon Reidy will be looking to come out of this trade looking good after the W Carey trade saga. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

EagleEyed said:

Its a first tier player for a second tier player in absolute terms

We will be looking for a Kerr a Seaby a Waters or a Butler. Nothing else will do.

If not. Tyson stays.

Schammer just Re-signed with the Dockers so i doubt i9f he would even be in consideration. I can't see us giving up a player who could possibly play more than 200+ games for us in the future for someone who has already finished half of his football career.

As far as I can see a 3rd party would have to come into play to satisfy everyone (nothing like a threesome).

unofficially, adelaide want micheal braun. i heard this from my mate whose dad is on the eagles match committee and has been since the malthouse days. watch for it break pretty soon after we get bundled out. if u want to know the family name PM me. it shouldnt be hard for eagles people to work it out, its not rob wiley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stenglein decides

Remove this Banner Ad

Back