Step up Buddy and claim your Oscar!

Remove this Banner Ad

AP Erebus

Senior List
Jun 16, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
What a truly brilliant display of acting Buddy put on last night.

After dumping Rutten to the ground, well after the ball had been disposed of, and giving him a few friendly shoves in the head for good measure, what was this? Someone pushing back?!

And the Oscar for the Best Collapse After A Feather Touch goes to!!

BUDDY!

In all seriousness, he doesn't need to do this. It's obvious, pointless, and he's a much better footballer than that.

Cringe worthy, what a blight upon our game. Glad I support a club that doesn't condone those sort of antics.
Lol.

Seriously though, it looked like he was conceding front position at the end in an attempt to push Rutten under the ball or use his height/athleticism to take a mark over the top. Because earlier when leading out in front was getting arms held or chopped yet no free?

I understand why he gets frustrated, Didak on the other hand........hahahaha

if he recieved the ones which were there then he wouldnt act. I think it may require him to have a tooth knocked out before he recieves a free.... oh wait
All key fwds have suffered this and try to make it obvious when being held/scragged off it...but there's a difference between that and being a feather duster.
None other than Barry Hall...could never seem to get a kick when deserved (prob due to his rep as much as the umps) ...he'd make gestures of frustration or try to make it obvious but u wouldnt see him faking or acting like a pansy to skim a kick.

All key fwds have suffered this and try to make it obvious when being held/scragged off it...but there's a difference between that and being a feather duster.
None other than Barry Hall...could never seem to get a kick when deserved (prob due to his rep as much as the umps) ...he'd make gestures of frustration or try to make it obvious but u wouldnt see him faking or acting like a pansy to skim a kick.

sadly too true.
Guys like Hall and Buddy are having their impact on the game crippled by over-zealous and unfair treatment.
Buddys arms, back & head dont seem to matter when contact is made to them. Yet if he does the same to his defender, he seems to get penalised every time. and people think he is favoured by the umps. dont see it.

Perhaps after the umpire told Hodge and Taylor to read last weeks memo, the hawks should have asked the umpires if they saw the form mentioned memo! But thats okay. If he acted, he acted. Live it looked like a shove.

And Richo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't recall Lockett ever appealing to the umpires for frees. He resolved any problems himself.

Now commonly referred to as the "staker".

I am constantly amazed at the amount of scragging he, brown and fevola receives and no reward. I know umpires are loathe to give free kicks in front of goal but you would only have to be consistent with it for 3 or 4 rounds and I think the issue would be resolved. I constantly hear how forwards get it easy these days but tbh I am yet to see that

I am not a fan of diving but staying cool hasn't worked; losing his temper only results in frees given away; frustration has resulted in 50m penalties so what is the guy to do to get a free kick.

Fev, JB and Buddy constantly get criticism for their body language and whether there game "is on" but how can you be critical of their onfield behaviour at times when they have to work 10 times harder than anyone else for a free kick.

Buddy and Fev's problem is that they initiate(or take equal part in) the scragging or at least used to. The ones that get the frees paid against them or not paid are usually the ones who built up a reputation in their earlier years.

Buddy and Fev need to learn to cool their heads and if a defender starts scragging them don't join in, eventually they will alter their reputations. Also the umpires really hate the 'what me' look that players give when they have clearly infringed and try to con the ump.

Buddy and Fev's problem is that they initiate(or take equal part in) the scragging or at least used to..

What a load of rubbish. If the defender didn't break the rules and grab hold of the forward to begin with, the forward would have no reason to lay a hand on his opponent.

Nothing's changed for decades. I used to play FF, and defenders would grab jumpers, hang on to arms, etc, and all I was wanting to do was break free to make a lead. But in order to do this, I had to chop the defender's arms to make him let go .. and of course the STUPID umpire would always see that.

Forwards have absolutely no reason to be holding on for that very reason, they are trying to get free. To say Buddy, Fevola etc, initiate this shows you have no idea whatsoever.

Let's see what you think GF day when Riewoldt gets hung onto by the likes of Scarlett, and see if you think Reiwoldt is at fault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Step up Buddy and claim your Oscar!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back