Recommitted Stephen Coniglio [re-signs with GWS for 7 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

We will never truly know.

It’s all guess by work by people who have absolutely NFI.

Until player salaries are made available you’ll get conspiracy theorists jumping out of their caves to scream “RORT” because they’ve been fed bulls**t mail all year and all the belligerent chest beating they have been crapping on with has all been for nought.

Yes, and I really don't care about how they are doing it. I was answering a question on how Hawthorn managed to keep its list together during the 3-peat years, and my answer is "not by throwing a shitload of cash or super long contracts at players". I acknowledge GWS are in a different situation. Never got past a prelim, and a new club in a non-traditional AFL state trying to find its way. Personally I think it is unreasonable not to expect the AFL to help out (whether or not that was the case in Cogs case is neither here nor there). It is stupid to start a new club and throw it under the bus by not giving it the best chance of success. I can imagine GC fans would feel like that is what they've suffered - less support than what GWS has received, but perhaps some issues of their own making too - GWS certainly looks better run.

Best buds with O'Meara so must either really like the lifestyle he lives or he's on a good wicket.
He loves the giants and was finding it hard to leave one club offered 1.1 another apparently 1.4 and if you believe crazy talk someone offered 1.6m. So the giants had to up the offer to get closer to the others he also has a deal with the afl and a sponsorship with adidas so stayed a giant

Same happened with Martin he loved Richmond but the money on offer was massive we had to up our deal a bit more and he got a puma sponsorship and stayed at the end of the day both could of got much more for leaving but stayed for an amount comparable gws apparently paying 1mil a year over 7

If he wins them a flag he will be looked after for life

Well done to cogs and the giants

I just want to thank the Hawthorn Football Club for taking a banged up and overpaid Tom Scully off our hands and making all of this possible.

Clarko and Wrighty, you guys are the real MVP's :thumbsu:
Agreed. I am happy cognilio resigned, also if we don't win a flag in 2019-2020 happy for him to consider a trade in future.

Cap inflation is a major part.

But

Hawthorn list depth was better, ours drops off substantially

Not really convinced on that. Might be starting to be true now after concessions have been lifted, but at the peak of your list, I saw it as ridiculously deep. Sometimes what was out on the park was perhaps a little shallow in some parts of the ground, but I always saw that as an injury list issue than a depth issue. For GWS to have competed in finals for the last few years with the injury issues they've had is almost a miracle IMO, but a miracle made possible by some awesome depth. Most teams in the competition would be bottom 4 every year if they had the quality out that GWS had. Hawthorn certainly would be bottom 4 this year if we had the quality out that you had out against us in the 'snow' game this year, and while me might have coped ok with that level of injury list in our peak years, I still think we would have easily missed the 8 with that level of quality out of our 3-peat list.

1. all of our legit ones said it was always a 50/50 carlton or staying, none of them said he was 100% leaving... NASH88 please respond HAHAHAHA all of the hawks supporters fell for it
Is there a secret code that helps we mere mortals identify your 'legit' posters without spending far too much of our lives scrolling through your board trying to guess? Will grant you that at least over the past week your guys backed off a fair bit, where as a fair swag of Hawkers were still going the crow. Cogs doing Mad Monday with Hawthorn! Please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really convinced on that. Might be starting to be true now after concessions have been lifted, but at the peak of your list, I saw it as ridiculously deep. Sometimes what was out on the park was perhaps a little shallow in some parts of the ground, but I always saw that as an injury list issue than a depth issue. For GWS to have competed in finals for the last few years with the injury issues they've had is almost a miracle IMO, but a miracle made possible by some awesome depth. Most teams in the competition would be bottom 4 every year if they had the quality out that GWS had. Hawthorn certainly would be bottom 4 this year if we had the quality out that you had out against us in the 'snow' game this year, and while me might have coped ok with that level of injury list in our peak years, I still think we would have easily missed the 8 with that level of quality out of our 3-peat list.

I'm only talking now. After our best 22 there's one hell of a drop.

We made it because we did so well before the curse struck again.

2016 was a different time with different players and structure of the cap and concessions.and yes was ridiculously deep.

Part of the defence that kept your hapless mob to 1 one goal in a half the first time we played you this season. 15 possessions at 86% in what was his 8th AFL game. Just because GC couldn't get him to reach his #7 pick potential doesn't mean we will not now that he's playing in the best player development system in the competition. You think we get lucky with late picks like Worpel and Lewis? Think again. Elite development.

If you want to play the one off game means something card then you realize you lost to us this year right?

Allot more coin than what we did

3 mill difference supposedly.

You go ahead and believe that if it helps. AFL stepped into the breach and agreed to pay an ambassador allowance that bridges the gap. Cogs will be not a penny poorer, and good luck to him.

I just want to thank the Hawthorn Football Club for taking a banged up and overpaid Tom Scully off our hands and making all of this possible.

No problem. Thanks for giving us a former #1 pick , who you thought was good enough to throw a big contract at for a 4th rounder in a year we didn't make the top 8. So banged up he played 21 games , and ignoring his ankle injury year, has played 21, 24 and 24 games in his last 3 seasons. Contributed this year, will contribute even more with a full pre-season next year. Getting Scully for what was effectively free certainly takes some of the sting out of missing out on a free hit at cogs. I hope Patton turns out to be as equally broken as Scully was supposed to be. Sadly I think he might be a knee reco too far, but who knows, broken players seem to have a habit of playing a lot of decent games for our club.

No problem. Thanks for giving us a former #1 pick , who you thought was good enough to throw a big contract at for a 4th rounder in a year we didn't make the top 8. So banged up he played 21 games , and ignoring his ankle injury year, has played 21, 24 and 24 games in his last 3 seasons. Contributed this year, will contribute even more with a full pre-season next year. Getting Scully for what was effectively free certainly takes some of the sting out of missing out on a free hit at cogs. I hope Patton turns out to be as equally broken as Scully was supposed to me. Sadly I think he might be a knee reco too far, but who knows, broken players seem to have a habit of playing a lot of decent games for our club.
Don't change topic, why cog s
Choose to stay? Scully is so last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Stephen Coniglio [re-signs with GWS for 7 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back