Recommitted Stephen Coniglio [re-signs with GWS for 7 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

They did indeed get players like lake, gibson, frawly, bourgoye, wingard, scully, omera however the rate of acquisition of such needs to be at a much higher level.

Mentions quality players we got in the last trade period. Then says:

The level of quality going into hawthorn is on the decline

Make some sense man. At least wait until this year's trade period has STARTED before you start making claims about a decline. Which 3 year period during the time we got Lake, Gibson , Burgoyne and Frawley did we get players in of the quality of Wingard, JOM, Mitchell and Scully? Lake, Gibson, Burgoyne and Frawley happened over a 7 year period. Wingard, JOM, Mitchell and Scully were the last 3 trade periods (and Henderson and Impey were pretty handy gets over those 3 years too). Decline eh? Our talent acquisition has accelerated. Dramatically.

That’s why Mitchell chose Hawthorn and he’s a far better player than Coniglio.

Enjoy losing Daniher, Fantasia and Tipungwuti.

Mitchell far better player than coniglio, lol, right benny jacobs tagged him to 8 possession. Hmm quality players kinda beat tags like fyfe. The desperation and saltiness plus a bit of entitlement is surfacing now.

Enjoy losing Daniher, Fantasia and Tipungwuti.

all downhill skiiers, essendon will probably get a batch of good players if these 3 are traded.

Don’t mention the word loyalty with this bloke and disrespect all those players who just get their contracts done quietly and smoothly with their club. Talking to Clarko, SOS, creating a media circus ..... seriously why waste everyone’s time. He could have named his price 6 months ago with GWS.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and given the $$$$$ talked about glad Hawks did not get this drama queen. Little impact on Hawks midfield already having Mitchell/Worpel/JOM/Wingard/Sheils. Especially with the emergence of young gun Worpel in the second half of the season. Clarko and Wright won’t lose any sleep. NEXT!

Having said this congrats to GWS and to their supporters. A win for you today.

That was when Hawthorn were a genuine flag contender. Now they are a middle of the road team full of pensioners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t mention the word loyalty with this bloke and disrespect all those players who just get their contracts done quietly and smoothly with their club. Talking to Clarko, SOS, creating a media circus ..... seriously why waste everyone’s time. He could have named his price 6 months ago with GWS.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and given the $$$$$ talked about glad Hawks did not get this drama queen. Little impact on Hawks midfield already having Mitchell/Worpel/JOM/Wingard/Sheils. Especially with the emergence of young gun Worpel in the second half of the season. Clarko and Wright won’t lose any sleep. NEXT!

And Hawthorn got played like a fiddle.

You’d think they’d know the signs by now after rejection after rejection but they keep getting sucked in.

Amateurs.

Too be fair coniglio hasn't said much to the media at all about his contract .

It has all been vic media noise .

He has every right to talk to other clubs before the last and biggest contract of his career .

He has been classy even with the vic media circus revolving around him .

You question his loyalty ? He will be a one club player at an expansion club all whilst getting massive offers from rival clubs

Congrats Giants fans.

I woo hooed when I just read he's staying. Never done that ever for an opposition club or player.

Some Hawks posters on here were far too cocky for my liking. Last laugh is on them.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I do hope Jaeger is ok though!:eek::think:
Jaeger is the biggest winner out of this! Not sure how many centre bounces he would have attended with mitchell, coniglio and worpel in there...

Don’t mention the word loyalty with this bloke and disrespect all those players who just get their contracts done quietly and smoothly with their club.

Why not? Had bigger offers to go to Melbourne to play for clubs with a longer, obviously, history and he instead stayed at the Giants and signed for life.
Of course it took a while. It's probably his last deal in footy. As a player.

Question to hawks supporters

Where to now ?

It is my understanding that you have to use 2 first rounders at the draft every 4 years .

Does that mean you cant trade your first rounders for the next 2 years ?

Where to now ?

It is my understanding that you have to use 2 first rounders at the draft every 4 years .

i have nfi how it works, but apparently we have to use one next year to satisfy the requirements.

I just want to thank the Hawthorn Football Club for taking a banged up and overpaid Tom Scully off our hands and making all of this possible.

Clarko and Wrighty, you guys are the real MVP's :thumbsu:
I don't know why you are taking the piss out of the Hawks, you guys are paying a guy a million a year for 7 years that you called

"A liability defensively"

"He's turned into a goal hungry, one way running midfielder who has lost all his sense of defence"

"He's regressed considerably."

You should be very upset at what the Giants have offered him considering you hold that opinion of him.

Where to now ?

Unclear to me. I'm not clear if the restriction is 'can't trade first unless you've used 2 in the previous 4 drafts', or 'can't trade first unless you've used 2 in 4 years, including the current year'. We used 2 in 2015 (our own and the one we used on Burton that was traded in from North for Jed Anderson). That would mean in the previous 4 drafts (15,16,17,18) we've used 2 firsts, but if they include this year's draft in the 4 year window then we've used 0 in 4 I think, and either way would be in trouble next year, having to trade in a first rounder to meet the 4 year window if we trade our first this year. Although I'm also not clear on when the counting starts. 2019 was the 'first year' of operation of the rule when the rule document was introduced a few years back, but does that mean a 4 year window from 2019 back or that they start counting in 2019, so the window is assessed in the 19,20,21,22 drafts? I'd assume the former given the rules were apparently introduced in 2015, but not really sure.

The rule is there to stop clubs shooting themselves in the foot in terms of their age profile, so they do allow you to apply for exceptions where they'll look at the age of players you've brought in by trade, and the other draft picks you've used. I'd imagine we'd try to argue we've brought in relatively young players like Scrimshaw and Impey, and that even JOM , Mitchell and Wingard were all 25 or under when traded in. We've also used our late picks. Trading Burton away will not help our argument. We'll probably bid on a father son this year, which may also help our argument for an exemption. While we are still pretty old, our fielded team on the weekend was still a good 9 months younger on average than our 2015 grand final team, and with Burgoyne seemingly going to GC, could be younger again next year, so we are getting enough kids in (and playing some of them) to at least slightly drop the age profile from our previous peak. I certainly wouldn't like to be at the mercy of the AFL agreeing to anything though. Trying to avoid conspiracy theories, but I can see why the AFL might think ******ing our rebuild on the run strategy would be good for equalisation.

Last edited:
No, that’s norths script.

Congrats to Coniglio and GWS on the new contract.
Will be interesting to see how many GWS players have to leave to accomodate their big signings.

You do know whats happening is as planned by the AFL when launching GWS - keeping the stars on big money was always going to be difficult & hanging on to Cogs is a great decision, both for the club & the comp.

:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Where to now ?

Kind of. They could use 2 first rounders in a single year via a trade i spose.
But basically u are right. They need to use them at some point soon...

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Stephen Coniglio [re-signs with GWS for 7 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back