Toast Steve Johnson- Overtakes Brownless and becomes 3rd most prolific Cats goalkicker

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think that was a bad error, CE? I can imagine SJ would've been demanding it as he "raced" past, Kersten would have looked, assessed, seen that SJ could've received the ball and kicked with his next step, as he was (IMO) far enough separated from his opponent. SJ took an extra couple of steps, just to make sure... and the rest is history.

I reckon you could stop at "looked" TC. Kersten's a young player; he would be like many others have been previously - subservient to his more senior teammates. When Johnson demands the ball I bet he didn't think, he just gave it to him. Similar to what Johnson did to Walker the previous game, and Walker to his credit ignored him (a forward is entitled to take a shot at goal himself).

Johnson is still a very good player, but he has to realise he doesn't get automatic entitlement to every goalscoring opportunity in our forward line.

I reckon you could stop at "looked" TC. Kersten's a young player; he would be like many others have been previously - subservient to his more senior teammates. When Johnson demands the ball I bet he didn't think, he just gave it to him. Similar to what Johnson did to Walker the previous game, and Walker to his credit ignored him (a forward is entitled to take a shot at goal himself).

Johnson is still a very good player, but he has to realise he doesn't get automatic entitlement to every goalscoring opportunity in our forward line.
Especially when a young key forward, who is known for his good goal kicking but has struggled for confidence in the seniors, has a set shot from ten metres out.

Let Kersten take it. It means more for him.

In Walker's case, I think it was more the fact that he actually time to think about the request, Partridge, whereas Kersten's decision would've had to be made in a split second.
I guess with SJ's milestone coming up, he's put a lot of pressure on himself to achieve his.... errrr... goal... ;)

EDIT- I guess, also, the 'sharing' nature of Geelong's forwards in the past would probably be something that SJ is trying to get going again. He's not averse to sharing the ball around, himself.

SJ, is the number 1 player in the comp for goal assists. Ever! Billy said SJ had also told him that fact the previous night at the LOTI. :D
2008 SJ and Moons were having their own little competition on who could hand off the most goals during the year, unfortunately for us come GF day they had forgotten how to kick them them selves. :(:mad:

In Walker's case, I think it was more the fact that he actually time to think about the request, Partridge, whereas Kersten's decision would've had to be made in a split second.
I guess with SJ's milestone coming up, he's put a lot of pressure on himself to achieve his.... errrr... goal... ;)

EDIT- I guess, also, the 'sharing' nature of Geelong's forwards in the past would probably be something that SJ is trying to get going again. He's not averse to sharing the ball around, himself.
I'd have to see it again to be sure but I initially thought SJ sneaked around the boundary and in behind Walker,by the time Josh worked out what was happening the moment had passed.

Last edited:
2008 SJ and Moons were having their own little competition on who could hand off the most goals during the year, unfortunately for us come GF day they had forgotten how to kick them them selves. :(:mad:

Yet to see evidence of that. It was a myth started by Robert Walls and it had morphed into 'fact' within a couple of broadcasts.

The problem, Hinkley29, is that Stevie J is not the Messiah. He's just a very naughty boy! ;)

He's certainly divided opinions, hasn't he? There are those that love him, those that hate his off-play actions, those that want to crucify him for those high-risk plays of his and those who absolutely love his uniqueness.

I must admit that I am eagerly anticipating his probable coaching career. Imagine all the high-risk moves he will make. ;) or is he willing to gamble with individual play but not willing to gamble with a team?

My money's on him being a gambler. :)
His flaws are scrutinised beyond belief, and his positives are underplayed.

Similar to Josh Hunt when he played.

His contributions to our elite teams should not be overlooked - he has consistently brought brilliance and unpredictability, and this made those around him better. If his career was limited to his phase as an elite midsized forward (he was clearly the best in the league at this from 2007 to 2011), he would be an all time great at the club. But he has also been an elite midfielder at a later point in his career. Now it looks like he will wind down his career again as a valuable midsized forward.

He was/is such an individual contributor (ie. no else in our team did what he did) across the entirety of our great era. Not many can claim that. He should be ranked right up with Scarlett, Enright and Bartel in this regard.

All that I know is that more than any other player of this era, he has made footy fun to watch. And above all else I watch footy to be entertained. As you can tell, I love the guy.

His flaws are scrutinised beyond belief, and his positives are underplayed.

Similar to Josh Hunt when he played.

His contributions to our elite teams should not be overlooked - he has consistently brought brilliance and unpredictability, and this made those around him better. If his career was limited to his phase as an elite midsized forward (he was clearly the best in the league at this from 2007 to 2011), he would be an all time great at the club. But he has also been an elite midfielder at a later point in his career. Now it looks like he will wind down his career again as a valuable midsized forward.

He was/is such an individual contributor (ie. no else in our team did what he did) across the entirety of our great era. Not many can claim that. He should be ranked right up with Scarlett, Enright and Bartel in this regard.

All that I know is that more than any other player of this era, he has made footy fun to watch. And above all else I watch footy to be entertained. As you can tell, I love the guy.
Was played as a mid sized forward in a team with Scarlo ( who used to stop his player and run forward and goal himself), Bartell and Ablett who both won Brownlows, winning a norm Smith himself. Then when our midfield thinned out, he went and played as a tall mid like Corey and Jobe, nearly winning a Brownlow twice despite missing many games in those seasons. The bloke is a star and would be recognized as such if his stripes where vertical and black and white or brown and yellow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have to see it again to be sure but I initially thought SJ sneaked around the boundary and in behind Walker,by the time Josh worked out what was happening the moment had passed.
Slow thinker? Lol
I had to laugh at a similar incident with big Dawson last year- who thwarted Stevie's attempt to steal his glory and nailed a huge goal :D

Ask Hawkins whether he appreciated the share following Johnson's big mark last week.
I mean, apart from anything else, it gave Hawkins his big break - his first bounce in League football.

Last edited:
Ask Hawkins whether he appreciated the share following Johnson's big mark last week.
I mean, apart5 from anything else, it gave Hawkins his big break - his first bounce in League football.
Lol :D
I must admit I've watched that goal three times and not noticed Hawkins bounce the ball. :oops:

I'm sure Tom appreciated the gift from SJ :)

Quite so. I'll then withhold assent until I see it.
Certainly not proof positive,but this is what I remember reading at the time.
Geelong
Mooney and Johnson spread goalkicking love
  • by: Mark Stevens
  • July 23, 2008 11:30PM
NOBODY is sure if the prize is an ice-cold schooner at the Torquay Hotel or something more substantial.

But it has become increasingly obvious that Geelong forwards Steve Johnson and Cameron Mooney are deadly serious about their own game within a game.

The Cats have a personal bet on who can gift-wrap the most goals to teammates.

In the process, they have become AFL pacesetters in the "caring and sharing" stakes.

Mooney has managed 21 goal assists this season, ranking him No. 1 in the competition.

Johnson is only three behind on 18 - equal fourth.

Mooney had two goal assists, one each to Andrew Mackie and Ryan Gamble, against the Western Bulldogs at the weekend.

True to form, Johnson off-loaded one to his good mate Mooney.

Of Johnson's 18 goal assists, six have been to Mooney.

In return, Mooney has given off only two of his 21 goal assists to Johnson.

When Mooney's in the mood for off-loading, he invariably heads Paul Chapman's way.

"Chappy" has been the benefactor of five of Mooney's goal assists.

Certainly not proof positive,but this is what I remember reading at the time.
Geelong
Mooney and Johnson spread goalkicking love
  • by: Mark Stevens
  • July 23, 2008 11:30PM
NOBODY is sure if the prize is an ice-cold schooner at the Torquay Hotel or something more substantial.

But it has become increasingly obvious that Geelong forwards Steve Johnson and Cameron Mooney are deadly serious about their own game within a game.

The Cats have a personal bet on who can gift-wrap the most goals to teammates.

In the process, they have become AFL pacesetters in the "caring and sharing" stakes.

Mooney has managed 21 goal assists this season, ranking him No. 1 in the competition.

Johnson is only three behind on 18 - equal fourth.

Mooney had two goal assists, one each to Andrew Mackie and Ryan Gamble, against the Western Bulldogs at the weekend.

True to form, Johnson off-loaded one to his good mate Mooney.

Of Johnson's 18 goal assists, six have been to Mooney.

In return, Mooney has given off only two of his 21 goal assists to Johnson.

When Mooney's in the mood for off-loading, he invariably heads Paul Chapman's way.

"Chappy" has been the benefactor of five of Mooney's goal assists.
I thought i remembered one of the boys actually confirming their competition. Will do some digging.

Loving having SJ back playing as a forward. I think his time as a mid was worthwhile, probably should have won a Brownlow, but it is exciting having him forward. Still can take a grab.

I think his back must be rooted as he does struggle a bit with the ball on the ground - really isn't bending down fully and quickly - hence the fumbles.

Has turned it over a bit more with overly creative play in the last couple of years. Probably the comparative ability of his teammates and the different game style exacerbates this. I'm of the belief one must take the good with the bad with SJ. The only change I'd like to see is him taking the first option, even if that is a bit 'too creative'. Hesitation / second guessing doesn't work, especially at his age.

Last edited:
The professional sports commentators still not done there homework. I thought maybe it would get mentioned when he was having a shot for goal in this game, but, no.
It's not really a huge milestone.

At the moment he couldn't hit the side of a barn, either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Steve Johnson- Overtakes Brownless and becomes 3rd most prolific Cats goalkicker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back