Toast Steven Motlop wins Round 6 NAB Rising Star nomination

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Motlop rising star?

If Steve Motlop or Brandon Ellis (maybe some bias in there) dont get the nomination this week i'll be amazed. Both played career best games and were among the best for their respective sides. Love the look of Motlop by the way. Where did he get picked up in the draft?

If Steve Motlop or Brandon Ellis (maybe some bias in there) dont get the nomination this week i'll be amazed. Both played career best games and were among the best for their respective sides. Love the look of Motlop by the way. Where did he get picked up in the draft?

Selection #39 2008, which was the pick we received from Essendon for Prismall. I think we'll be very happy with that trade in the longer term, though Pris has had back luck with injuries.

We also picked up Taylor Hunt at #49 in that draft.

I've been very happy with all our kids this year, but Motlop has been the stand out to me. He is really giving us that pace and x factor that we are missing with Wojo and Varcoe out. Hope he is able to keep a good balance between the hard work/team values/smart options and the x factor/flair. It is something that many "x factor" players struggle with at times (see: S Johnson).

Didn't realise we got him at pick 39. Hoping that he turns out to be another stroke of brilliance by Mr Wells.

Edit: As for the OP, he would definitely be deserving of a RS nomination this week.

What it does show ( re pick39) its much better to be pragmatic than to be stubborn when trading. Just like P28 for Mumford another pick gets you another chance to add to your list.

Motlop is a talent , if he can improve his our over all possessions he would be a huge addition to our side. Bring back Varcoe and we are looking very skilled outside the ball. However with so many around the ball now guys like Stringer & Schroder may be just as valuable if they can start winning contested ball.

I love the way this kid plays, he has a lot of dash and flair, but seems to want to win a contested ball at times too which is bodes well for the future. If he doesn't get nominated this week for rising star then you bet your last buck that if he keeps playing the way he is he will be bound to get one at some point throughout the season.

I remember going thru the list last year with a Super Draft coming at the end of the 2012 season - thinking who will get cut to make way for new draftees. Sure we would lose 1-3 players with retirements but we still would need to cut one or two from the list.

Motlop seemed to be one that many, including me, believed would need a big year to stay on the list. Injuries had hurt him for sure but how long can you stay on a list without showing a fair bit ?

Well he seems to secured his spot on the Cat list and has probably been our best new player into the seniors this season so far.

I reckon we need someone like him down forward. Stokes is ok but does not rove enough goals or make enough tackles generally - especially now we have two big bodied forwards in Pods and Hawkins. And we lack pace in the forward line.

He compliments the forward line better than I think Stokes will in a year or two. Could be wrong and happy to be - but we just need a sharper crumber and a faster chaser down forward.

Add in Varcoe and we might have a quicker side as well.

Time will tell but so far he is looking good.

Stringer showed a bit in his quarter as well... Shame he didn't kick that goal on the run...
Still just more good signs and good kids :thumbsu:

I was right behind Stringer kick and for some reason it went dead straight instead of being influenced by the wind.

As for Motlop, am I the only one who thinks Stokes could be in a bit of trouble when Varcoe returns? Motlop looks the goods so far! :thumbsu:

Agree with the Stokes comment.. I commented to a mate that exact thing.
Mind you that was one of the better performances Stokes has put in this year on the weekend (not saying much)

Motlop has Rioli like ability. He's not a Rioli yet. Let's no put too much pressure on the kid

Why you'd want our Motlop to be an inconsistent, overrated player who can only play a good quarter of footy out of 6 is far beyond me.

Re: Will Motlop win a Rising Star nomination?

would have been good to see Motlop get a mention on the footy show's last night.

We already seen what the likes of Selwood, Bartel etc do but Motlop was just terrific in some of his passages of play and the media just never seem to highlight these new boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although it's nice for the kids to be recognised outside the club I'm kinda happier if their price tags don't get pumped up too much with this sort of attention. Let the other clubs have this trophy we'll take the big one at the end thank-you!

Although it's nice for the kids to be recognised outside the club I'm kinda happier if their price tags don't get pumped up too much with this sort of attention. Let the other clubs have this trophy we'll take the big one at the end thank-you!

I'm with you GC.

At first I was a little pissed that Stephen Motlop didn't get the biscuit, but your perspective is spot on.

I thought he was really good on the weekend.

Will Motlop be given the rising star award this week?

He is electric when he has the ball and is starting to impose himself into the game
20 Possies
1 Goal
Plenty of goal assists

I look forward to his contributions in the future

Motlop? He was good, but if you wanted to pick a Geelong player - Cameron Guthrie. Is more accomplished and more consistent.

If he's eligible - he'd be the one I'd be expecting to see nominated. Effectively doing his job every week.

I was right behind Stringer kick and for some reason it went dead straight instead of being influenced by the wind.

As for Motlop, am I the only one who thinks Stokes could be in a bit of trouble when Varcoe returns? Motlop looks the goods so far! :thumbsu:

Nope. Not if it was based on merit. Stokes' disposal has been woeful for a while now.

Motlop? He was good, but if you wanted to pick a Geelong player - Cameron Guthrie. Is more accomplished and more consistent.

If he's eligible - he'd be the one I'd be expecting to see nominated. Effectively doing his job every week.

Guthrie is a beauty, looks as if he belongs in that team long term. Wonderful timing given some of our recent departures.

Guthrie is a beauty, looks as if he belongs in that team long term. Wonderful timing given some of our recent departures.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, he must have shown very good signs last year to be an emergency for the Grand Final. Just hasn't missed a beat this year, I'd say would be one of the undoubted positives of the year so far.

Motlop's improvement has been terrific also, no doubt about that.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, he must have shown very good signs last year to be an emergency for the Grand Final. Just hasn't missed a beat this year, I'd say would be one of the undoubted positives of the year so far.

Motlop's improvement has been terrific also, no doubt about that.

Theres 2 of my 3 huge positives so far this year.

1. Cam Guthrie, he's done a Bundy/Menzel/Duncan, just came into the side this year and already looks cemented. Very impressed with the kid.

2. Motlop, I didnt think he would make it, thought his body would go the way of Paul Lynch and just not withstand the AFL but hes proven that wrong and has been a HUGE spark for us. Exciting career ahead.

3. Tommy Hawkins, I was hopeful his last 6 weeks of 2011 was a sign of things to come (and since I've been a HUGE defender of Tommy I was praying it would come true) but still held reservations that he might drop off but he hasnt missed a beat and although the delivery isnt great he continues to work hard and looks like a genuine star now. Top 3 tall forwards in the comp incoming.

Found this article on the GFC website interesting.

GEELONG'S Mathew Stokes says fellow Cats small forward Steven Motlop is on his way to becoming an important player at Simonds Stadium.

Motlop, now 21, made his debut in round two of the 2010 season. But it's only this season that he's been able to string a few games together, playing the first four games of the year to bring his career tally to nine.

"He's got more talent than most players at our club," Stokes said on SEN's Morning Glory program.

"If he keeps going the way he is now, he's going to be an amazing player for us.

"There's not many blokes who can move around like he does."

http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/134036/default.aspx

28 possies.
1 goal
provides great link up and run
will be nominated this week for sure
how many players will GWS and GC get?

Stringer and Smedts played very well also

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Steven Motlop wins Round 6 NAB Rising Star nomination

Remove this Banner Ad

Back