Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

I arrived at the ground just as the teams were running out and lines were pretty long still - got my bag checked and security scanned but the person holding the machine that scans the ticket just looked at the ticket on the phone and said go straight thru. Is that a normal for 10 mins before a game starts? I normally get to games around 1hr before and have always had the barcode on my phone scanned?

If that is what they do to get people in ground in the last few minutes before the game starts no wonder crowd figures are slightly lower than they should be - every single seat in my area was full yesterday for the first time this season (even round 1 which apparently had 6000 more people attend had more empty seats in my bay then yesterday)
Well I was in the same boat... went with a group of 6. I had the tickets on my phone and the scanned 2 out of the 6 and said you all just go straight in... so there was also 4 that didn't get scanned

4) This Cat could be Geelong's not-so-secret finals weapon​

Coach Chris Scott made the tongue-in-cheek point this week that team system is all well and good, but having star players fit and in form makes a difference. The proof is in the pudding when it comes to 34-year-old Patrick Dangerfield, who has once again had an extended mid-season break to deal with a soft-tissue issue. In the premiership year of 2022, he missed rounds 11-15, last year sat out rounds 9-13, and this year was sidelined in rounds 9-15. Given the Cats had the game in the bag against Hawthorn on Saturday night, he was on carefully managed minutes and played just 59 per cent game time in his third match back, but provided a clear difference in the first half. The young Hawks could not match his power around the ball and it's no coincidence that Geelong's resurgence in recent weeks has coincided with Dangerfield's return. – Sarah Black

Might have been early season or preseason but he had a game where most of his possessions were either skill errors or cut off, but the vision he showed to spot runs from teammates was the key.

It was one of those games where you think "in 2 seasons when he has built up a tank and put on some muscle he is going to break out".

He has vision and skills that you can't always teach. His injury slowed him down, so he might take 3 or 4 years to come good, but when he does he is going to be something.
Reckon he needs to put 5kg of muscle, train burst speed and higher aerobic burst. Very challenging as it is hybrid athlete work. He has the tenacity to do it.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Except he's been up and down like a yo-yo since having his face broken.
This has freed him up and he's playing good footy again.

You most certainly did. You should know me by now, I go back and check.

False equivalency to use that as the measure. We're not going all the way because we lack in a couple key areas. Namely midfield, ruck, and without Hawkins now KPF also.

Using our likely September exit as the bar that shows you're right is not a fair one to make.
Both have played all year, in a team that will go close to securing top 4 yet again.
Mental note that Art Vandelay_ keeps receipts

It was interesting that Geelong went into the VFL game without a recognized ruckman. Hawthorn's Ned Reeves had 50 hit outs! Geelong's best ruckman Joe Pike had 14 hit outs. Neither Conway nor Stanley played. Geelong's mids, Hardie, Clohesy, Stevens, sharked some of Reeves tap outs but it gave Hawthorn a distinct advantage. Luckily the SamDK experiment is working in the senior team because we have no replacements for him.

Spoken like yesterdays man.
I don't mind it, if the youngsters like it then it's all good
Probably something you liked back in the day that old timers didn't
That's just how it goes...
I am pro music on the condition it is dramatic montage music.

Give me Excalibur or anything by James Paget

Bit awkward though if you're 60 points down, kick a late one and the some epic game of thrones battle music comes on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm middle aged and too old for most of those. Nirvana is a classic but Kurt put an end to it when I was still a child.

There's a reason these bands from the 80s/90s/early 00s etc (minus Nirvana obviously) still feature at every big festival and tour heavily as nobody has taken their place.

They've transcended time.

There's a reason these bands from the 80s/90s/early 00s etc (minus Nirvana obviously) still feature at every big festival and tour heavily as nobody has taken their place.

Yeah a bit, but I think to an extent copyrighting and the internet have frozen culture. It's not just those bands, no one makes anything new anymore.

It was interesting that Geelong went into the VFL game without a recognized ruckman. Hawthorn's Ned Reeves had 50 hit outs! Geelong's best ruckman Joe Pike had 14 hit outs. Neither Conway nor Stanley played. Geelong's mids, Hardie, Clohesy, Stevens, sharked some of Reeves tap outs but it gave Hawthorn a distinct advantage. Luckily the SamDK experiment is working in the senior team because we have no replacements for him.

If there's ever a week to show hitouts on their own are a pointless stats it was this week.

At AFL level Meek got his hands to it a lot but SDK killed him with his follow up and around the ground work. Clearances were basically level but ours were much more dangerous.

At VFL level despite those 50 hitouts for Reeves we dominated clearances (45-36) and territory (58-47 inside 50s). If we had any decent connection going forward we would've won easily.

If there's ever a week to show hitouts on their own are a pointless stats it was this week.

At AFL level Meek got his hands to it a lot but SDK killed him with his follow up and around the ground work. Clearances were basically level but ours were much more dangerous.

At VFL level despite those 50 hitouts for Reeves we dominated clearances (45-36) and territory (58-47 inside 50s). If we had any decent connection going forward we would've won easily.
Pure hitout numbers are completely useless

Now hitout to advantage and hitout to disadvantage are actually useful but much harder to get your hands on.

You could have 100 hitouts in a game and if 51 of them went straight to the opposition what the **** was the point

The 1990s grunge period revived my faith in rock/guitar music. There were some good bands in the 1970s and 1980s but also a lot of crap. Talking Heads saved that period for me.

Pure hitout numbers are completely useless

Now hitout to advantage and hitout to disadvantage are actually useful but much harder to get your hands on.

You could have 100 hitouts in a game and if 51 of them went straight to the opposition what the **** was the point
Well there is a psychological advantage, having a tall dominant ruckman near the end of a close game, when everyone is buggered, is a distinct advantage. Twice in the last quarter in the VFL game Reeves spiked the ball forward for Hawthorn, one went 20m to a Hawthorn player who ran on and kicked a long goal, the other a clearance from defence. You could see the affect it had on the Geelong players some of whom dropped their heads in dismay. I am sure Geelong would have won that match with a half decent ruckman.

Last edited:
Every club has dropkick supporters. Blues are dreadful because they have lots of them but I’ve had some shocking hawkers at games too. Richmond were ok in the old days but in the 2017-20 era were absolutely feral after so many years of failure. I’ve even come up against rabid north supporters. Bombers were pretty bad back in the day. I actually find the pies are an ok crowd by and large. And swans are pretty fair.
Pies' fans at Swans games in Sydney were utterly horrendous! There was a young guy, who sat near us, with a developmental disability. They grabbed him + stuffed his head in a blocked toilet. He was covered in poo, highly distressed. Other guys we knew cleaned him up. My Mum told Barrassi, who organised a full Swans' strip for him, runners too.
The Pies' fans, who attacked him were rounded up + banned from SCG.

Yet, Pies' fans at 2011 GF were delightful. When I went outside for a gasper, they took me to their tent, forced VB + Longbeach gaspers on me. Had a great halftime with them + missed Meatloaf :joycat: :joycat: :joycat:

Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back