Jacobs08

Senior List
Apr 30, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
THE UMPIRES WERE A DISGRACE....

it was a repeat of the 2001 prelim final

and anyone who says it didn't cost us the game is on drugs...

it COST US THE GAME!!!!............... AND someone has to do something about it....

dont umpires have coaches at quarter time/half time / 3quarter time... to tell them to pull their heads in?

Yep, can't blame umpires for losing this one, we were simply not good enough.

It didn't cost us the game but unfortunately it had an impact on the result. We couldn't buy a free kick in our forward 50 let alone a 50m penalty. You could see the players getting frustrated with the decisions which then led to some undisciplined acts. Yes the Kangaroos were more intense and won the game based on pressure etc but were aided by some decisions going there way.

Granted there were a few shockers from the umpire.

The lack of run/intensity/direction is what got us in the end.

On the whole though, we can be pleased to be back as a force in the AFL and bring on the next 6 years.

whether it cost the game or not is a question we wont get an answer to. But something needs to happen in regards to rules being intererupted in different ways. I was at the game and was so angry but the end of the game that i was like many others blaming the result on the umpires. But as i sat back and thought about the way the hawks had played they didnt play well enough for a win. But decisions made at costly times, may of changed the result. As i sat and watched the VFL on sunday i was extremely interested the comparison of umpiring in regards to saturdays game. Instead of looking for free kicks, the umpires let the game go on. mayb next year they should be taking a leaf out of the VFL, not only is the games going to acheive a fair result, but also we wont be playing this blame game.

Surprisingly the Roos were too good for u guys. A few decisions made were disgraceful (the Brent Harvey 50m penalty, the chop of the arm on Edwards and a few other i cant remember) but the Hawks just didnt look the same.

even though the free kick count was 30-15 in North's favour, and they kicked 6 goals from free kicks, lets not forget the fact that we were ordinary.

The only thing you can rely on to win a game is your own intensity, your own skill level, your own committment, your own ability to take the opportunities that fall in your lap.
You cannot rely on umpires umpiring well. They cost 3+ goals, but we cost ourselves more. A few of those free kicks occurred immediately after we coughed up the ball, having failed to nail the good work of others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpiring was shocking, but that didn't cost us the game. Hawthorn didn't turn up to play.

correct, was dissapointing to go to the G and watch it after last weeks game

I think the general consensus from most fans is that there were a couple of really poor decisions at crucial times against us..... but I dont think it cost us the game. The game was there to be won on many occassions and our skill/decision making errors cost us the game more so!

I remember one particular occasion when we were within a kick in the 3rd quarter. We were streaming down the ground and Vandenberg fumbled a handpass, turnover, Roos ran it up the other end for a goal. It was a 12 point play and I felt that was the turning point IMO.

I was at the game on Saturday and at half time ithought we were going to win ,but two crucial misses by Roughead and Ladson just when we had all the momentum combined with those two pathetic decisions were pivotal moments i thought.North were good but those umpires have a lot to answer for they were disgraceful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Still can't get over it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back