Play Nice Still no evidence against Melbourne re: tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is, what exactly have we been charged with, and what evidence was there to support it? Until we know these things, its very hard to compare the 2 very different circumstances.

I guess it's more the idea that since the benefit of whatever you're charged with (disrepute, tanking, match fixing, employing Cuddles etc) was an extra start of first round draft pick, then suitable punishment should be to take away a draft pick as well.

And we were much better? I'm serious. We were playing Issac Weetra, the worst footballer I've ever had the horror to watch play. My 80 year old grandmother would be better on the MCG than he was.

If you haven't, you should actually watch the Melbourne-Richmond game. It is genuinely one of the worst games of football I've ever watched. The local U12s team would put on a better show. But the worst part was that that was normal for Melbourne in 2009. We were ******* awful in every sense of the word.

Yeah...your ruck man on Nathan Brown helped with that.

Yeah...your ruck man on Nathan Brown helped with that.

Oh so playing Paul Johnson down back for a quarter masked the fact we were a Top 4 side?

Johnson had the better of Brown in that quarter by the way and had no bearing on the outcome of the game at all.

In my opinion the AFL is looking very foolish with these penalties. The penalties give off either one of two impressions and none of them reflect well.

1/ That the AFL is hitting Melbourne with a wet lettuce leaf because they think they could possibly be guilty of tanking. The simple fact is they are either Guilty or Not Guilty of tanking. If they are guilty then the penalties should be harsh. If they can't fine anything then they should recieve no penalties at all.

2/ The the AFL actually believe that Melbourne has tanked but doesn't consider tanking a serious infringement despite all their bravado. The penalties are severely less than what Carlton recieved for Salary Cap cheating and even Adelaide with the Tippett saga a few months ago.

Given the supposed systematic way that Melbourne tanked. Either of these ways proves to clubs that they can get away with tanking because there will always be a lack of evidence or the AFL doesn't take tanking very seriously. In other words if there is another clear standout player in the draft it's still okay to orchestrate to deliberately lose meaningless games.

Get away with Tanking
Get away with 3 strikes
Get away with using PED's

Problem is you sooked when I made a decent point. That game is easy for you I'm sure.

You made no point. Your coach made dodgy moves which had no basis in logic. While Johnson was on him, Brown kicked a nice goal.
Johnson on Brown has no way of being justified, anymore than Miller on Cotchin.
You have no argument because the moves on that day were a disgrace. Crap on about proof all you like. The coach admitted coaching for picks. That is to ensure losing. It cannot be justified in any way.
Your club was a disgrace, and the fact that you benefit from the Scully picks makes it worse.

That the AFL lacks any testicles to ensure that any benefit you received from this disgusting period is wiped out, is the icing on a big shit sandwich.

Have a nice day.

If Melbourne is guilty of tanking the penalty should be far more severe, if they are not then they shouldn't be paying $500k. We copped $25k for not doing anything wrong other than telling the AFL to hurry the **** up with their long-winded investigation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You made no point. Your coach made dodgy moves which had no basis in logic. While Johnson was on him, Brown kicked a nice goal.
You have no argument because the moves on that day were a disgrace. Crap on about proof all you like. The coach admitted coaching for picks. That is to ensure losing. It cannot be justified in any way.
Your club was a disgrace, and the fact that you benefit from the Scully picks makes it worse.

That the AFL lacks any testicles to ensure that any benefit you received from this disgusting period is wiped out, is the icing on a big shit sandwich.

Have a nice day.

Still sooking. With a little bit of anger and spite thrown in for good measure this time. Small man syndrome is something you seem to struggle with.

How many Fremantle games did you watch from that year??

We were beyond shit all year.

Good teams didn't tank, shit teams tanked because being that tiny little bit shittier gets you an extra top 5 pick. This whole "We didn't tank we were just shit" argument doesn't hold much water because the only teams to ever be accused of tanking were shit themselves.

Have a nice day.
So I expect all coaches' moves to be pre approved by an expert panel before each game. Garland into the forward line after never having played there for years against the bombers would have failed this test. Except we won.

If Melbourne is guilty of tanking the penalty should be far more severe, if they are not then they shouldn't be paying $500k. We copped $25k for not doing anything wrong other than telling the AFL to hurry the **** up with their long-winded investigation.
My thoughts exactly. The board will decide (if there is a fine) whether any punishment is detrimental to the integrity (and sponsorships etc) of the club. If they think it is, they'll fight any fine I think.

Moron. It's easy this game

It's easy when you ignore the facts.

If you going to criticise actual match plays, then perhaps watch the actual matches first. Brown fluked one goal that quarter, due to a lucky bounce - and even then, Johnson was leading him to the ball.

And seeing Mark Jamar has been brought up in this discussion, look into his comments about being thrown all over the ground and played "out of position" in 2009: that it made him a better footballer, and helped to make him an AA ruckman in 2010.

What a joke. Found guilty of sport's biggest sin in trying not to win

Watching any of the NAB cup? Rookies playing, senior players pulled off after a half or not even included, players rotated through positions to see how they go etc. etc.

Or did you watch any of the Australian open where "he's just letting this match go, then he'll try and serve out for the set".

The object of sport is to try and win the war, not necessarily individual skirmishes.

You can
Watching any of the NAB cup? Rookies playing, senior players pulled off after a half or not even included, players rotated through positions to see how they go etc. etc.

Or did you watch any of the Australian open where "he's just letting this match go, then he'll try and serve out for the set".

The object of sport is to try and win the war, not necessarily individual skirmishes.
you can't compare proper matches with the NAB cup. Similarly, throwing the end of a set isn't close to throwing matches for a draft gain. A very weak effort from Gill.

You can
you can't compare proper matches with the NAB cup. Similarly, throwing the end of a set isn't close to throwing matches for a draft gain. A very weak effort from Gill.

And funnily enough the two matches we're accused of throwing were a game against a eventual Grand Finalist and a game where we lost after the siren.

Just saying, find me some proper evidence and then complain - you can't just punish someone harshly on a publicly accepted hunch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Still no evidence against Melbourne re: tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back