Play Nice Still no evidence against Melbourne re: tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

You can
you can't compare proper matches with the NAB cup. Similarly, throwing the end of a set isn't close to throwing matches for a draft gain.

So, agreed then: there are circumstances where it's OK to "not try to win".

(BTW, Melbourne hasn't yet been found guilty of anything, and won't be found guilty of "trying not to win".)

I hope essendon are not found guilty of using PEDs mick
So do I. If those at the club did it deliberately we deserve it, but that doesn't seem the case. As for Melbourne, there's hardly anything less sportmanslike than not only not putting in 100% to win, but actively making sure you lose. Completely different to saving your energy for the next of tennis, bing181.

So, agreed then: there are circumstances where it's OK to "not try to win".

(BTW, Melbourne hasn't yet been found guilty of anything, and won't be found guilty of "trying not to win".)

And this is why any punishment must include a confession, or at least, and acceptance of guilt.

So do I. If those at the club did it deliberately we deserve it, but that doesn't seem the case. As for Melbourne, there's hardly anything less sportmanslike than not only not putting in 100% to win, but actively making sure you lose. Completely different to saving your energy for the next of tennis, bing181.

I'd say that using performance enhancing drugs to gain an 'inhuman' advantage would be worse.

Meanwhile ...

"
A day out from St Kilda's first hit-out in the NAB Cup coach Scott Watters said he isn't focussed on winning the AFL pre-season competition.
"No interest - that is certainly not a focus," Watters told reporters in Adelaide on Saturday."

Meanwhile ...

"
A day out from St Kilda's first hit-out in the NAB Cup coach Scott Watters said he isn't focussed on winning the AFL pre-season competition.
"No interest - that is certainly not a focus," Watters told reporters in Adelaide on Saturday."

But...But... It's only the Nab cup. :rolleyes:

Do you understand what match fixing is? No? Don't post.
Yeah, because not attempting to win a glorified practise match can be attributed to match fixing.

It can be when betting is involved.
Betting? Who said anything about betting? You're throwing betting into this.

If St. Kilda went on to win the NAB cup, I'm sure they'd be happy by the fact that they did. Obviously, some clubs like the one I support would prefer to win more than others for a sense of pride etc. however if that was truly the case then each club would play their best 18 every game. Scott Watters is merely saying that getting a win from these games isn't as much of a priority or emphasis as other things that these games can provide, such as trying out positions, structures, and player development. Geelong played a 18 year old steeplechaser in the ruck against Sandi. I suppose you think that Geelong were match fixing as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please refer to LBJ6 post for clarity.

If St. Kilda went on to win the NAB cup, I'm sure they'd be happy by the fact that they did. Obviously, some clubs like the one I support would prefer to win more than others for a sense of pride etc. however if that was truly the case then each club would play their best 18 every game. Scott Watters is merely saying that getting a win from these games isn't as much of a priority or emphasis as other things that these games can provide, such as trying out positions, structures, and player development.

So what is the difference between what Melbourne allegedly did or what St Kilda is going to do?

Yeah, because not attempting to win a glorified practise match can be attributed to match fixing.
I think you'll find many people earlier in this thread cried for match fixing saying 'aww think about the poor people who bet on the game when Melbourne weren't trying to win'.

Same thing for NAB cup matches, as I pointed out with the Paul Roos example at the time.

I think you'll find many people earlier in this thread cried for match fixing saying 'aww think about the poor people who bet on the game when Melbourne weren't trying to win'.

Same thing for NAB cup matches, as I pointed out with the Paul Roos example at the time.
Anybody who lays a bet on a team game is asking for it.

If St. Kilda went on to win the NAB cup, I'm sure they'd be happy by the fact that they did. Obviously, some clubs like the one I support would prefer to win more than others for a sense of pride etc. however if that was truly the case then each club would play their best 18 every game. Scott Watters is merely saying that getting a win from these games isn't as much of a priority or emphasis as other things that these games can provide, such as trying out positions, structures, and player development. Geelong played a 18 year old steeplechaser in the ruck against Sandi. I suppose you think that Geelong were match fixing as well?

Your argument isn't flash. If we get pinged for not trying to win games, then why is what Scott Watters said any different? The AFL want all clubs to go out there and win. I know it's the NAB Cup but it still falls under the same umbrella. It's been reported in the papers that betting agencies would have a field day if we got pinged harshly for supposedly tanking. NAB Cup takes betting, so there isn't a great deal of difference in that regard.

The stupid thing about the way the rules have been drafted is that, technically, that's more a chance if being a breach than what Melbourne did

Ludicrous

There is a strong argument to make that the AFL would do well to spend a chunk of their considerable wealth in having their code rules completely re-drafted to remove the ludicrous amount of ambiguity that is being shown up in recent "scandals".

Whoever initially drew them up, reviewed them and passed them as feasible and workable needs a real kick up the clacker.

There is a strong argument to make that the AFL would do well to spend a chunk of their considerable wealth in having their code rules completely re-drafted to remove the ludicrous amount of ambiguity that is being shown up in recent "scandals".

Whoever initially drew them up, reviewed them and passed them as feasible and workable needs a real kick up the clacker.
Defs agree

So what is the difference between what Melbourne allegedly did or what St Kilda is going to do?

Need I point out:

1. NAB Cup is not the AFL Home and Away season. That is the first major difference.
2. Effectively every club is doing what St. Kilda is doing this NAB Cup. Melbourne were likely the only if not a select few to have allegedly been involved in tanking at all, let alone in that given season.

I could go on forever to point out the differences between allegedly tanking in the AFL season for better and priority draft picks, and as Watters said himself using the NAB cup for player development and then by extension being uncompetitive in the competition.

If I were a Melbourne supporter, I would take the fact that we tanked on the chin, say "it was a calculated risk and a rule that had to be broken" and hope that we could rebuild for a future. You can't fix the problem until you accept it.

If I were a Melbourne supporter, I would take the fact that we tanked on the chin, say "it was a calculated risk and a rule that had to be broken" and hope that we could rebuild for a future. You can't fix the problem until you accept it.

I can accept that we tanked and see the reasoning for it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. That being said there are a lot of parties to be blamed when it comes to tanking being apart of the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Still no evidence against Melbourne re: tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back