Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Day ready for round 1 ?. Still a worry he isn't into full training.
He’s on a program to be ready for Round 1, and we’re still over 6 weeks away.

Remember that Tom did SFA last summer too, and played from Round 1.

Insta Hawks fan page saying there was a chance Chad may have had a minor injury today at training, anyone see/hear anything to suggest this?

Hi Guys,
My son and I ventured to Waverley this morning to watch training for the first time since before Covid and were pleasantly surprised with what we viewed.Not saying we are expecting finals but really excited with the first to third year players that we have not seen a lot of!
Maginess was the stand out to us he was everywhere,looked quicker and very agile and his foot skills looked great aswell.
Jeka was up and about aswell marking the ball well under pressure he really excites me. It should make great competition between him and Callow who is a beast of a man. I think we should see great improvement from both!
McDonald has genuine speed and was everywhere and looks as though he will be pushing for senior selection.The only knock I have is he missed a couple of targets but he has a lot to like in the way he plays.
Ward was equally as impressive better disposal and the way he goes about it he is a real competitor!.
T Mitchell looks ready for a really good year!
CJ was the first to leave the track after doing a couple of drills with the rehab group.
I feel as though Worps,Pup,Howe and Morrison are going to have to have really good years with the pressure these younger midfielders might bring?
Punky was the only player we did not see there and Chad did not train but he came in late and was on the boundary.
Moore looks ready to go and trained with great intensity.
I thought O’Hara had a nice ball drop and can already kick the ball on both feet which is good to see.
Well that was my take for the day!
I would also like to thank The Axeman for giving me a rough idea of times and days that the club train.
Now we are pumped for season 2022!Bring it boys!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hi Guys,
My son and I ventured to Waverley this morning to watch training for the first time since before Covid and were pleasantly surprised with what we viewed.Not saying we are expecting finals but really excited with the first to third year players that we have not seen a lot of!
Maginess was the stand out to us he was everywhere,looked quicker and very agile and his foot skills looked great aswell.
Jeka was up and about aswell marking the ball well under pressure he really excites me. It should make great competition between him and Callow who is a beast of a man. I think we should see great improvement from both!
McDonald has genuine speed and was everywhere and looks as though he will be pushing for senior selection.The only knock I have is he missed a couple of targets but he has a lot to like in the way he plays.
Ward was equally as impressive better disposal and the way he goes about it he is a real competitor!.
T Mitchell looks ready for a really good year!
CJ was the first to leave the track after doing a couple of drills with the rehab group.
I feel as though Worps,Pup,Howe and Morrison are going to have to have really good years with the pressure these younger midfielders might bring?
Punky was the only player we did not see there and Chad did not train but he came in late and was on the boundary.
Moore looks ready to go and trained with great intensity.
I thought O’Hara had a nice ball drop and can already kick the ball on both feet which is good to see.
Well that was my take for the day!
I would also like to thank The Axeman for giving me a rough idea of times and days that the club train.
Now we are pumped for season 2022!Bring it boys!

Great post, Ohara kicking both sides, oh boy - wonder if they will play him as a small forward / mid role at box hill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s on a program to be ready for Round 1, and we’re still over 6 weeks away.

Remember that Tom did SFA last summer too, and played from Round 1.
Given the lack of depth of our midfield at the start of last year Tom was a required player.Tom's form was just okay, by the standard we expect of him, early in the season but he was back to his best after the bye. Barring training injuries I expect him to fire from round one this season. Hopefully we can assist him and Jaeger at the centre bounces with a big bruiser such as Duke or Nash.

There is no pressing need for us to rush Will in to the team. I hope that he has a better run with injuries this year but as one of our marquee players we should err on the side of caution with his recovery IMO. His last injury seemed to be the result of a deliberately clumsy tackle, and looked nasty at the time.

I get the feeling he may get the last list spot!

Greene was the first player invited down to train I think, then it was Parsons, then Blanck, then Rule and now Adduci. I’d say Greene would still be the favourite for the final list spot. Considering the success of Bramble and Newcombe recently I like this list management approach adding ready-made players that can immediately push for best 22.

I'm not sure about any of the players training with us. They all have their deficiencies. They are good VFL players but not sure they will make the transition. As for Callow i have some real doubt about whether he makes it. He definitely wont be making it in defence

Thanks for the reports.

There’s been a range of positive comments on Finn. Is he standing out just in the drills / running or is he also really impacting the scrimmages? Is he looking like a genuine 22 chance or just much improved?

Ok, so I arrived after all the boys were already down on the field, setting up for the first lot of drills and there was a number of new faces that had us wondering who they were and where they had come from. Rule, Parsons and Blanck were out there, but there were also two 16yr olds from AIS squad who were training with us also. One of them was like a mini-me of Duke Newk, with a dicke-knee likeness.

There was a number of players doing rehab/limited work, as there was some sore bodies after last weeks session, that from all accounts really worked over a few of them in the heat. Day, Lewis, DGB, Butler, Gunston, Saunders, O’Hara, Dimma all did some work away from the main drills, or on the far side of the ground. Cj was upstairs. Did not see Chad or Punky. Reeves and Howe running laps.

In the main drills, where the eyes were focused, all the usual suspects were doing their thing. There was a few players that stood out to me at times. MacDonald and Ward are exciting, and in particular I really like the way that MacDonald has poise in traffic, and he has some pace.

The example I posted early was from a boundary stoppage drill, where Lynch and Monky competed for the throw in and the singlets were up against the shirts.
Lynch won the tap and before the ball could drop to eye height Ward had leapt up off the ground, never taking possession he tapped it down to Worpel who immediately dished to MacDonald who put on a short burst and delivered into the middle of the ground. It was a nice little example of what we may look forward to seeing much more of over the coming years.

I did notice a theme across a couple of drills while myself FP and Eldo were gasbagging, of bringing the ball back into the corridor and then going directly to the leading forward. I would love to see this more in 2022.

My guy, wee baby Seamus really showed his wares today, and why he’s an exciting prospect. He glides, has pace and weights the ball well by foot. Jeka too, looks to have had a really good summer so far and was really plucking the ball at pace.

To reiterate what so many others have said, Finn looks to be in ripping nick and was one of the eye catchers. Both he and Moore were really putting in the interval running. Ward too. Similarly, Tom and JOM look in prime condition.

The two Irish boys really do look like they’ve had an Irish summer, with their lily white arms flashing through drills.

Brockman looks like he’s going to be up for a big season, he’s still as slick as ever and he really motors along without looking like he’s trying.

I’m sure I’ll think of more later.

Edit: the “Simon says” stuff was prevalent again today and the penalties for not being quick enough to respond or join a group saw a few get down and do push ups.

There was also players pairing up and wrestling one the ground for a few minutes after the interval running, near the end of training when they really were starting to tire.
Great report.

Any more on Seamus? Where was he playing - mid or forwards? Has he put on much / enough size?

Hardly played last year but feels like a guy that we’ll give some chances in 2022 as fits an attacking gameplan well (super quick and great kick)

Thanks for the reports.

There’s been a range of positive comments on Finn. Is he standing out just in the drills / running or is he also really impacting the scrimmages? Is he looking like a genuine 22 chance or just much improved?

Just on yesterday I thought he was exceptional in everything you have just mentioned whether he can translate that across to game day is another thing !But I would say the signs are extremely promising!

I'm not sure about any of the players training with us. They all have their deficiencies. They are good VFL players but not sure they will make the transition. As for Callow i have some real doubt about whether he makes it. He definitely wont be making it in defence
I prefer Dominic's opinion :moustache:

Just on yesterday I thought he was exceptional in everything you have just mentioned whether he can translate that across to game day is another thing !But I would say the signs are extremely promising!

Based on last Thursday's session, I would agree. He has gone from barely noticeable last summer to standing out this summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back