#6 Mark Williams

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2008
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Seeing as though I missed Supercoach this year, I have regretted it immensely. I'm looking forward to next years one, but have still been following this one very carefully. I have a few tactics/tricks up my sleeve, and hopefully you guys can give me even more. A lot of people probably are looking forward to 2009 rather 2008 due to probably several reasons. My following questions are:

1. Should I get G.Ablett at the very start and just put him captain and don't look back for the rest of the year, because I'd probably treat him like 2 players anyway?
  2. Natanui and Rich definite picks next year, which other early picks would be worth it?
  3. Buddy Franklin not worth it because he gives away too many free kicks to be worth his price?
  4. Dean Cox (mandatory), and perhaps Sandilands because he gets 40 odd hit outs a game, plus also gets heaps of 'free kicks for' due to smaller ruckmen trying to use illegal tactics.
  5. Will C.Cornes, be dirt cheap due to injury and poor form next year?
  6. Ben Cousins, will he be extremely cheap if he plays next year?
  7. Heath Shaw buy at the start or wait for poor form due to taggers?
  8. Kreuzer and Cotchin will they be worth their price tag next year?
  9. Ideal Supercoach defenders: thinking perhaps C.Cornes, McMahon, Shaw (maybe), Birchall, Roughead, P.Burgoyne, unsure about McLeod who else?
  10. Can anyone think of any other bluechip Supercoach players next year.
NOTE: Please make reference to the question number when making a discussion, I'll add some more question numbers as time advances, and also if anyone wants me to add another question to the list.
Thats all I can think of for the moment, looking forward to Supercoach education and discussion, if I have made any blunders please correct me, as I give you permission to call me a Supercoach noob.

1. He'll be expensive, I am not getting him next year
  2. They would be in mine in 09 also Jack Watts looks like a good player
  3. I'm still getting him, he has the potential of scoring huge
  4. Im definitely getting Cox he is like a midfielder
  5. He'll be arounnd 350-400k but I prob wont get him
  6. He'll be 200ish
  7. Wait for poor form? :p
  8. Maybe getting Cotchin, not Kreuzer
  9. Jake King, Mattner, I'm liking alot of the defenders for next year.
  10. Watch out for Brent Prismall and Jamie McNamara, these guys will fly under the radar

1. Should I get G.Ablett at the very start and just put him captain and don't look back for the rest of the year, because I'd probably treat him like 2 players anyway? - You get what you pay for, it's up to you to decide whether it's better to have him as a guaranteed huge scorer or use the money elsewhere.
  2. Natanui and Rich definite picks next year, which other early picks would be worth it? - None of them are definite picks, it depends who they're drafted by.
  3. Buddy Franklin not worth it because he gives away too many free kicks to be worth his price? - He is priced at his scoring average, so he is worth it - but will he improve further next year? I say yes.
  4. Dean Cox (mandatory), and perhaps Sandilands because he gets 40 odd hitouts a game, plus also gets heaps of 'free kicks for' due to smaller ruckmen trying to use illegal tactics.
  5. Will Chad Cornes, be dirt cheap due to injury and poor form next year? - Yes
  6. Ben Cousins, will he be extremely cheap if he plays next year? - Probably
  7. Heath Shaw buy at the start or wait for poor form due to taggers? - Buy at the start of the year.
  8. Kreuzer and Cotchin will they be worth their price tag next year? - Kreuzer possibly, Cotchin no imo.
  9. Ideal Supercoach defenders: thinking perhaps C.Cornes, McMahon, Shaw (maybe), Birchall, Roughead, P.Burgoyne, unsure about McCleod who else? - Cornes, Gilbee, Shaw, McLeod, Bowden, Fisher, Birchall, Waite
  10. Can anyone think of any other bluechip Supercoach players next year. - Goodes, K Cornes, Riewoldt, Ottens, J Brown, Bartel, Pavlich along with plenty of others I'm sure ;)

1. sorta like saying is it worth getting Bartel from the start of this season; that's up to you.
2. obviously the answer is wait for the draft and the pre-season form and discussions on which players are likely to play their first years of afl.
3. Buddy's form, consistency and price tells the story. his scores are much reduced because of his FAs... then again, same goes to Scott Thompson; i get so frustrated watching him play and seeing him give away so many free kicks - sometimes just unlucky, but others unnecessary.
4. that's not a query.
5. not dirt cheap, but much cheaper because he's been dogged by injuries this year, and he's the best DT/SC backmen in the comp.
6. Cousins will be very cheap considering his actual worth; every team will have him.
7. Heath Shaw; everyone has him, and so should you.
8. nah. unless you want to start Kreuzer on the field and you think Cotchin will be absolute superstar gun.
9. Bowden and Gilbee are guns.
10. Nicky Dal is a supercoach god.:thumbsu:

supercoach requires looking at teams on the thursday (possibly friday) and making changes to that team...that is all...and it's fun in a group. it's impossible to spend all your time on supercoach - there's just not enough to do to be that involved.

1. Should I get G.Ablett at the very start and just put him captain and don't look back for the rest of the year, because I'd probably treat him like 2 players anyway? Where's the fun in that? Its much better speculating over how someone is guaranteed to have a biggy only for them to dump on you from a great height.
  2. Natanui and Rich definite picks next year, which other early picks would be worth it? Search these threads for all the 'shoulda been' stars that couldn't get a bloody game this year - start with Veszpremi, add Dangerfield and keep on going. A few of us might suggest ALBERT PROUD to get a freakin' game (are you listening Lethal)!!!
  3. Buddy Franklin not worth it because he gives away too many free kicks to be worth his price? Hmmm 6th best average for a fwd YTD and has played every game. What if he stops with the frees and behinds? What if he gets worse? Only my chystal ball knows and I'm not telling you.
  4. Dean Cox (mandatory), and perhaps Sandilands because he gets 40 odd hitouts a game, plus also gets heaps of 'free kicks for' due to smaller ruckmen trying to use illegal tactics. Mandatory only if the guy holding a gun to your head says 'pick Cox or Die'.
  5. Will Chad Cornes, be dirt cheap due to injury and poor form next year? Of course. Will he get any better or will he continue to fall apart like Frankensteins monster after being left out in the rain?
  6. Ben Cousins, will he be extremely cheap if he plays next year? all hopped up and ready to play!
  7. Heath Shaw buy at the start or wait for poor form due to taggers? I suggest grabbing him cheap and spending your left over money sending him a copy of Gary Abletts Greatest Hits so he can see how a tag is broken. A wise investment this will be. Note: only one of us should send these as he wont want 220,000 copies. Who wants to?
  8. Kreuzer and Cotchin will they be worth their price tag next year? Depends how much price tags are worth.
  9. Ideal Supercoach defenders: thinking perhaps C.Cornes, McMahon, Shaw (maybe), Birchall, Roughead, P.Burgoyne, unsure about McCleod who else? Ideal... Gary Ablett allowed to be selected as a defender. Any arguements?
  10. Can anyone think of any other bluechip Supercoach players next year. Chances are if you finish in the top 8 on averages for any position (and played most games of course) you will qualify for this automatically...unless your name is Kepler Bradley in which case it doesn't matter how good you go in any season EVER you will still be a gumby!!
:thumbsu:PS...Cool thread MW

10. Enright and Embley have played down back a fair bit this season. if they are available down back next year i'll be on board whatever the price. they aren't ever going to get tagged and they get midfielder stats.

not sure if it'll happen though... unsure of the criteria supercoach uses to determine a players positions for each year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Daitro, does anybody know the official open date for Supercoach 2009, I know some people are currently in 2008, but have sympathy for the 2008 rejects and the newbiles like myself. I'll make sure I'll post in my OP for other peoples reference.

1. Up to you but i probably will. I made the mistake of getting him late this year and well, he's been out for two weeks..so im not overly impressed with my choice.
  2. Gumbleton next year..surely he can't sit another season out. He's almost my first choice rookie each year until i do research.
  3. I'll be getting him without a doubt. Just imagine what he could get..
  4. Cox yes, bunch of other good options for the 2nd ruck.
  5. Will be very affordable, i'd say if fit most will have him. Proven SC performer.
  6. Benny's a gun, even if he's clean. I'll be getting him.
  7. Surely will figure a way to combat taggers, if not too pricey, grab him.
  8. Cotchin maybe, depending on how much he comes in at.
  9. Gilbee, Fisher, Milburn. Would say Malceski cos he'll be cheapish but with Mattner and Kennelly it's a risk.
SC opens a month or so before the season starts from memory.

1. Having a great player to make captain every week is always a viable option, just depends on whether you think the price tag is suitable. Personally I'd rather go cheaper.

2. Any pick who looks like getting a regular game should prove worthy of a bench spot. Also consider 2nd/3rd year players who have yet to play a whole lot of games.

3. His price will be based on this year's average, so in a sense he will be worth exactly that. He'd be worth a hell of a lot more if he learned to kick straight :p.

4. Both are awesome options, cost is the only thing to consider there. Don't forget there'll be a few cheap ruck options next year.

5. He won't be dirt cheap, but for a player of his calibre, his price will be too good to refuse.

6. I don't actually think Cousins will be playing AFL next season, but if he does then he will be in 200k teams, of that I can assure you.

7. Clearly capable of being the best defender around, IF he could handle a tag. Personally, I'd make Goddard my number one choice for a premium backman, but it all comes down to prices doesn't it?

8. Kreuzer will probably have value solely because of the lack of ruck options, but Ottens/McIntosh may make him obsolete. Cotchin I don't think so, midfield has far greater options than any other position.

9. Goddard, Fisher, Cornes, Shaw, Gilbee, Newman and Bock.

10. By 'blue chip' do you mean elites or value for money? If you mean the former, any player upwards of 550k. If the latter, Coughlan, Hasleby, Lucas, etc.

11) Make sure you get yr team finalized before rnd 1 deadline. This year rnd 1 started on Thursday night , teams issued 5pm thursday. Result super coach computer meltdown, meaning lots of incomplete teams and ppl unable to swap players before deadline(you can basically swap the team before rnd 1).

12) Split rounds and Anzac day round are a pain for Super coaches, can be a hit or miss for team selection.

1. Should I get G.Ablett at the very start and just put him captain and don't look back for the rest of the year, because I'd probably treat him like 2 players anyway? Ablett is a star. I personally don't think he is worth spending more than $650k when you could pick up Kirk, Harvey, Bartel or utilise that money in another section. Don't forget he is bound to have atleast one bad game and when that happens you should pounce coz he will probably drop a bundle.
  2. Natanui and Rich definite picks next year, which other early picks would be worth it? Natanui and Rich will be in nearly every supercoach side and if they get drafted by a team that won't give them a chance it could blow up in every1's face. i've heard good things about jack watts or tyrone vickerys but same applies. Best to read up on who is gonna get a run closer to the season.
  3. Buddy Franklin not worth it because he gives away too many free kicks to be worth his price? buddy will only be worth getting if he can string together some consistant score or if he is worth about 450k otherwise it is a waste.
  4. Dean Cox (mandatory), and perhaps Sandilands because he gets 40 odd hit outs a game, plus also gets heaps of 'free kicks for' due to smaller ruckmen trying to use illegal tactics. cox and sandi are big ins for next year but maybe also look at mcintosh or if you have the cash hille.
  5. Will C.Cornes, be dirt cheap due to injury and poor form next year? YES but he is SH!T anyway. I think it is passed him.
  6. Ben Cousins, will he be extremely cheap if he plays next year? Every1 is hopeful but i hope he doesnt otherwise its just another player every1 will have in common.
  7. Heath Shaw buy at the start or wait for poor form due to taggers? Heater is a risk I won't be taking next year. He cant shake a tag and doesn't go in for the hardball. If malty lets him run in the midfield I might pick him up but even then...
  8. Kreuzer and Cotchin will they be worth their price tag next year? Cotchin will not be worth it he will hit a plateau next year. Kreuzer might be worth it if you need a smokey ruckman for cheap.
  9. Ideal Supercoach defenders: thinking perhaps C.Cornes, McMahon, Shaw (maybe), Birchall, Roughead, P.Burgoyne, unsure about McLeod who else? Newman, Gilbee, Fisher, Milburn, etc.
  10. Can anyone think of any other bluechip Supercoach players next year. That would completely ruin supercoach for every1 if i told them who to grab next year

1. Should I get G.Ablett at the very start and just put him captain and don't look back for the rest of the year, because I'd probably treat him like 2 players anyway?
  2. Natanui and Rich definite picks next year, which other early picks would be worth it?
  3. Buddy Franklin not worth it because he gives away too many free kicks to be worth his price?
  4. Dean Cox (mandatory), and perhaps Sandilands because he gets 40 odd hit outs a game, plus also gets heaps of 'free kicks for' due to smaller ruckmen trying to use illegal tactics.
  5. Will C.Cornes, be dirt cheap due to injury and poor form next year?
  6. Ben Cousins, will he be extremely cheap if he plays next year?
  7. Heath Shaw buy at the start or wait for poor form due to taggers?
  8. Kreuzer and Cotchin will they be worth their price tag next year?
  9. Ideal Supercoach defenders: thinking perhaps C.Cornes, McMahon, Shaw (maybe), Birchall, Roughead, P.Burgoyne, unsure about McLeod who else?
  10. Can anyone think of any other bluechip Supercoach players next year.

1. Much like Bartel this year, Ablett is going to have a huge price tag. I personally wont be getting him because to much can go wrong. Just ask the guys who bought Chad Cornes at the start of the season.
  2. Natanui will be a buy because hes a ruckman, ill probably put him on the bench as an early cash cow. It depends who gets Rich, since some sides like Melbourne will slot him straight in, while others will leave him in the seconds.
  3. Buddy gives away frees and still gets around 100. If the Hawks fix Buddy's flaws, he will become the Ablett of 2008, a definate buy.
  4. Dean Cox or David Hille will be the first ruckman. Follow up with McIntosh or Ottens, since they'll be nice and cheap, and both proved they can score well.
  5. Chad Cornes should be the very first person you put in your team. Will be the Nick Stevens of 2009.
  6. If Ben Cousins is cheap, again, slot him straight in.
  7. Forget Shaw. If he cant cope with taggers he is useless. Unless Malthouse plays him in a different position towards the end of this year or next pre-season, ill be staying away.
  8. Stay away from both Kreuzer and Cotchin. Second year blues will get them both in my opinion.
  9. Cant say with the ideal defence. Andrew Walker will be a good buy if he can finish this year off strongly. Adam McPhee and Nathan Bassett in my opinion, and the obvious one being Chad Cornes.
  10. I underestimated Chris Judd at the start of the season, my Anti-Carlton bias aside, i will definatley grab Judd at the start of the season, since he will benefit from an extra years experience into the Blues young midfield. Crawford, Lappin, Kerr, the potential midfielders are endless next season. :thumbsu:

Stay away from both Kreuzer and Cotchin. Second year blues will get them both in my opinion.
Nope. Avoid second year players. Better off with rookies.
I've never really thought about this. Care to expand? Any examples? I really can't think of any off the top of my head.

I was probably gonna fall into this trap next year.

Yeah I agree. They seem to be stuck in between cheap cash cows, and good reliable scorers, they average around 60-80 most of the time, and don't seem worth it for the price that they are at. Gibbs and Selwood are looking like decent picks this season, especially Selwood who's averaging 96 or so, which is quite good especially for a second year player.

Starting to research Supercoach this year as I want to improve from my measly ranking of 3000, even though that's due to going for league win and copping huge amounts of 0s.

Chad Cornes is a must imo.

will post other tips as I delve further into the subject

Starting to research Supercoach this year as I want to improve from my measly ranking of 3000, even though that's due to going for league win and copping huge amounts of 0s.

Chad Cornes is a must imo.

will post other tips as I delve further into the subject
Thanks Stormer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back