Supporters - Request an External Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Difference ours would be called without there being a fire to put out. All the others were only reacting to complaints, we would be the only one being proactive.

Reading through this, someone mentioned Rhys McKenzie. Couldn't even remember this kid being on our list. Googled his story & was a bit surprised to read it

Read his full post below:

"When you have intolerable levels of anxiety and depression and have developed an eating disorder causing you to lose all of your friends all because of an incompetent, dysfunctional, joke and embarrassment of a club," McKenzie wrote.

"I didn't retire from football because of mental health reasons, I quit Richmond, I f***ing quit because if I had continued to receive the treatment that they were giving me I would have killed myself no doubt.

"No person at any profession deserves the treatment I received, they are a disgrace to professional sporting clubs around the world and it's no wonder they got someone else in to do Dan Richardson's job because he knows f*** all about football and f*** all about basic human care.

"When I was 16 I tried to commit suicide, but I failed, I failed because in those moment of agony I told myself that I would one day play AFL and that was the only thing that was going to keep me going and then one day I got there only to have my dream taken away by a joke of a club that doesn't know how to take care of its players.

"I am now a broken man because of this. Football was my life and now I don't even know if I will ever be able to return to the football field because of my anxiety.

"They even tried to silence me by signing a deed of release that was going to have a silence clause for life but instead I signed one that was for a 'reasonable period of time'.

"Well you know what, I find it a pretty damn reasonable period of time...f*** you Richmond, thanks for ruining my life, just hope you don't f*** someone else's up too."

------

Shows you how much times have changed in less than a decade.I cant even remember this happening - if it were to happen now, it would be a big story.

Dare say people who think we have no reason to do a review on ALL PLAYER treatment may need to take a moment of pause. If we did indeed request him to sign a deed of release, then we are not much better. Asking that of a 20 year old kid is very poor form
If anyone is interested, Mckenzie has done an AMA on reddit,

He seems to be in a better head space now, which is great. It appears he's doing really well in life.

More trouble than it's worth an external review as you will get a number of disgruntled ex players with a demented view of the world or just plain bullshitters coming out saying whatever they please. Clarko who I know personally has been crucified with this type of process .

I’m with you on the more trouble than it’s worth . It’s a win loss tough dog eat dog environment where I’m guessing most players finish by being delisted ( sacked) . Interview everyone that’s played 150 games and the review will tell that AFL football clubs are wonderful places .

He seems to be in a better head space now, which is great. It appears he's doing really well in life.

Thank you so much for sharing that. Awesome read. Below is the best takes i think. Reece appears to have had beef with our club when he left, but clearly never with our playing group who come of it looking great. Glad to hear he is doing better, be it 3 years ago.

How many players did you experience openly talking about their mental health in some way? Was it ever actively discouraged?
To be honest from what i can remember not that many, it was never actively discouraged. Teammates were always constantly checking in with one another (from my experience anyway) which is very helpful, football teams (players especially) are very loving and caring towards their teammates, it's a good place to be when the chips are down.

How much assistance were you giving (from club or AFLPA) in adjusting/transitioning to post footy life?
From the club not that much it was a pretty ugly parting, from the AFLPA however they were extremely helpful like wow you would not believe. The AFLPA is an excellent organisation run by excellent people and if it weren't for them I don't think I would have ever got back on my feet.

Without naming names of course, from your time in the system; what is your estimate on the percentage of professional AFL players that are complete degenerate gamblers, junkies and/or alcoholics?
I can only speak from my experience and from what I saw and heard at the club in terms of gambling there wasn't a culture for it at Richmond no one ever really openly talked about it but I had heard that it was a big big problems at other clubs (Phones out during weight sessions and in the changerooms just constantly on it), in regards to Junkies I never heard any teammate ever talk about drugs, never saw a teammate take any drugs again there just wasn't a culture for it however I did hear stories from other clubs that I must admit shocked me about drugs usage so that was disappointing.

Are you still in contact with anyone from Richmond? How did you feel seeing some of your former teammates go on to win two flags?
A couple of the boys mainly Ivan Soldo (legend) but i see them here and there out and about sometimes. I felt sad that i wasn't apart of the victory but extremely happy and proud that they were able to win the flag. It also felt good to know that we were heading in the right direction and hopefully I played a teanie weanie part in it.

How do you find the culture in the footy system compared to the wider world? Ie. Is there particular attitudes or political views that are more/less common in the AFL world than outside it?
Footballers do not care about what race, age, religious or political views you have ultimately what they care about the most is about how much you can contribute to the bettermeant of the team and if you can do that and also not be a dickhead then even better. Loyalty to the team is pretty strong in AFL, compared to other sports in the world atleast

Did any of the senior players ignore you because they perceived you weren't worth their time?
Suprising not, you are there to make the team better, they want you to be better so that you then help the team be better which in turn makes them better.

Which gun player from another club to most richmond players talk about?
Nathan Fyfe

Did you observe anything/any behaviours that would contribute to a culture wherein a gay AFL player would not want to come out? What do those behaviours look like?
I vaguely remember us doing a survey on our views towards such a thing from what i can remember the results weren't the best which was a surprise. I think the AFL players themselves would/should have no problem with it but i do know some AFL players are religious which would make it a little bit trickier

How important are the fans to the players? Like do the players enjoy fan interaction and talking to them or is it seen as more of a chore to make sure people keep on showing up?
Fan interaction is important and i personally enjoyed it initially but it does wear you down overtime, we did a lot of community interaction throughout the year which was always rewardinf but i know some players got tired of it

Do all the people wanting a review realise the person who conducted the Hawks review is none other than ex Richmond player Phil Egan who currently is an employee of the club at the KGI? I'm starting to come around to the idea so long as it doesn't cost any $$$$'s. Below is a complete list of known Indigenous Richmond players from the club's historians. There might be more as Shane Edwards didn't acknowledge it for his first few years at the club and I don't recall it ever being mentioned about Stevan Jackson. Players listed in Green are current players so Phil should already know if they have any issues with the club. Phil played with Lovett and Mitchell so surely knows their thoughts?

Players in Red all have been convicted of serious crimes, several repeatedly for serious violence and drug related charges. Some like Yarran, McGrath, Taylor and especially Murphy are truly horrific. Shockingly Martin McGrath was just convicted again 3 days ago. I smashed this research out in under an hour so surely Phil could call the remaining players listed in no time at all and the report could be done as part of his normal role at KGI so the club doesn't have to spend any of the soft cap on it. On a lighter note I saw several comments online saying Relton Roberts went to a Mad Monday dressed as the HAMBURGLAR, but the facebook pages wouldn't load. If anyone can locate that pic I'm sure majority on here would love to see it.

PlayerYearsGamesGoalsPremierships
Ashley Blurton1998-9914gms7gls
Shai Bolton2017 -2019, 2020
Nathan Drummond2015-165gms2gls
Shane Edwards2007 -.2017, 2019, 2020
Phil Egan1982-90125gms117gls
Derek Eggmolesse-Smith2019 -
Stevan Jackson1992-9321gms30gls
Andrew Krakouer2001-07102gms102gls
Wally Lovett1983-8413gms6 gls
Rhyan Mansell2021 -
Martin McGrath20034gms6 gls
Michael Mitchell1987-199181gms103gls
Justin Murphy1994-9512gms9gls
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls2006-0913gms1 gl
Matthew Parker2021 -
Derek Peardon1968-7120gms1 gl
Marlion Pickett2019 -2019, 2020
Lionel Proctor1998-200120gms4 gls
Daniel Rioli2016 -2017, 2019, 2020
Maurice Rioli1982-87118gms80gls
Maurice Rioli Jnr2021 -
Relton Roberts20102gms0 gls
Sydney Stack2019-
Tyson Stengle20172gms2gls
Richard Tambling2005-2010108gms61gls
Troy Taylor20104gms3gls
Chris Yarran2016

Martin Leslie McGrath: Ex-Richmond footballer pleads guilty to GBH after leaving teenager in coma​

Headshot of Tim Clarke
Tim ClarkeThe West Australian
Mon, 19 September 2022 2:10PM

I couldn't access the above article as i'm not a subscriber but McGrath was getting into strife even before he debuted and I remember Spud refusing to take him to England for a display match for behavioural issues and club was worried he'd get into mischief. 5 goals on debut, what a bloody wasted talent.

You have Maurice Rioli in red there, which you say indicates the player has been convicted of a serious crime. I am not aware of that ever happening. Is that an error or do you have evidence he was in fact convicted of a serious crime?

You have Maurice Rioli in red there, which you say indicates the player has been convicted of a serious crime. I am not aware of that ever happening. Is that an error or do you have evidence he was in fact convicted of a serious crime?

Only trouble I know of is that when he was an MP, he pawned off furniture from his office to fund a gambling addiction. Not great but not what I would call a serious crime worthy of putting his name in red.

So, he was suicidal at 16? What sort of Q&A do players do before joining a club? Did he declare that?. Maybe no ' due diligence' by Dan Richardson who cops it when Reece has a mental health break... Not sure why a delisted player would have to sign a deed of release? AFL players get their contracts paid out if tney are delisted

So, he was suicidal at 16? What sort of Q&A do players do before joining a club? Did he declare that?. Maybe no ' due diligence' by Dan Richardson who cops it when Reece has a mental health break... Not sure why a delisted player would have to sign a deed of release? AFL players get their contracts paid out if tney are delisted

Or maybe they just gave him a chance anyway.

Being suicidal when your 16 doesn;t mean much at 22 if you can work on it

The real question is why would there be no external review at all? I fear that the insight into Clarkson at Hawthorn maybe consistent with other AFL clubs that are less publicised. If clubs are not riddled with bigotry, an external review would not be a problem. We must work towards diminishing racism towards Australia’s native culture and we seriously need to champion this external review

There is no more powerful force in Australia against bigotry than the AFL. They have made mistakes and haven’t got it right all the time but they have been fantastic.

Hawthorn we’re on the nose over their culture . Their President had a golliwog called Buddy ffs.

Hawthorn can carry the can on this one .

While Richmond seem to be a positive force in all this … Houli etc .

Another problem you might get is that 15 clubs get a glowing tick and everything is hunky dory in the world of the elite athletes of the Indigenous or if not then it’s an easy fix .. which couldn’t be further from the truth for the general indigenous population.

Ps Adelaide Crows can do one . They are on the nose a bit as well.

Last edited:

He wasn't convicted of it but he was caught stealing heaps of laptops designated for underprivileged Aboriginal kids and selling them for cents on the dollar to fund his gambling habits. Got off scott free like most sports stars in Australia. Don Bradman was guilty of massive insider trading and was never charged, even worse he fraudulently ran his mentors business into the ground syphoning off money, causing his mentor and boss to be left holding the can doing porridge, whilst Donny boy took over the business with it's client listing in the thousands for free, by law should have gone out to tender and the price fetched gone towards the bankruptcy.

Shane Warne misappropriated $500k+ of his charities money on parties for his mates, lots of the money going to private functions so his hangers on could get laid. When it got hot, he pissed off to Africa to rehab his image a la fu@k wit Fevola on I'm a Celebrity get me out of here. Nova Perris stole $100k+ designated for Aboriginal kids sport to pay for her USA olympic sprinter boyfriend Ato Boldon's booty call visits out here. Taxpayer's generously paid for the flights. (Google that one it's actually sad and hilarious as her work emails were leaked, stupid moron never read the fineprint that Big Brother can access work emails, she bags Cathy Freeman and she was gaggin for some old Ato action whilst supposedly working as a politician). Unbelievably Liam Jurrah has assaulted another woman with a machete in her own home, so he clearly has learnt nothing.

Brennan Stack (Bulldogs player 2007-2011) was only sentenced to 3.5 years for the most brutal assault on women all captured on cctv. (I wouldn't recommend watching the footage as its way more graphic than MMA 20 years ago with full kicks to the head as though he's trying to beat Billy Brownless's torps. Surprisingly he's eligible for parole in 1 year.

I only just saw your response now as I have you blocked.
It's not an error, I'M not a cop I don't have evidence MYSELF of Maurice Snr. But I have it on good authority it happened. I also never had Stengle in red, probably should've. I never even looked up half the players, many I wasn't even aware of as being Aboriginal, and CBF'd, so potentially only scratching the surface. Being the highest paid player in the entire league, resulting in Raines and others leaving was a massive cost to the club, no matter how good a player he was. To end up blowing it all, then ending up on the high paid gravy train of Australian Politics then still blowing it all and committing dispicable acts makes someone lower than shark sh!t in my book, same as the aforementioned.
I DGAF if someone plays for the Tige's, if they're a shit person, they're a shit person. Ans as Richo says if he couldn't play footy he'd be lucky to get hired scrubbing bins. Also OJ did neck his Mrs, but evidence was tampered with, and the cops repeatedly lied under oath, so deserved to be acquitted.

Lol just remembered a couple of hilariously sadsack stories about Nicky Winmar but CBF'd typing.

Last edited:

"A VIRTUOSO effort from Northern Knights forward Reece McKenzie consigned the Eastern Ranges to their fourth loss in succession on Saturday at Preston City Oval.
McKenzie booted six first-quarter goals and finished with 10 for the match as his Knights claimed a 47-point win."

"The clean hands test result was one that did not surprise Kennedy, who has described McKenzie as the best contested mark he has seen in the TAC Cup in a decade. But a 13.2 result in the critical beep test was a surprise, even for McKenzie himself."

For a bit of context he kicked 15 goals the VERY next day playing school footy.

I still remember seeing Reece in a reserves game at PUNT Rd in a torrential storm, ground was covered in water and mud, he took at least 6 or 7 contested marks all single grab his hands were like a vice, me and my mate were fighting over who claimed him first as he had all the physical attributes and bloodline to be the next gun KPF of the league. Unfortunately like a lot of people he has mental illness and from memory FIGJAM's like Deledio making his life misery. Hopefully the kids in a good headspace and would hate to think he ends up like Bill Morris.

Thank you so much for sharing that. Awesome read. Below is the best takes i think. Reece appears to have had beef with our club when he left, but clearly never with our playing group who come of it looking great. Glad to hear he is doing better, be it 3 years ago.

How many players did you experience openly talking about their mental health in some way? Was it ever actively discouraged?
To be honest from what i can remember not that many, it was never actively discouraged. Teammates were always constantly checking in with one another (from my experience anyway) which is very helpful, football teams (players especially) are very loving and caring towards their teammates, it's a good place to be when the chips are down.

How much assistance were you giving (from club or AFLPA) in adjusting/transitioning to post footy life?
From the club not that much it was a pretty ugly parting, from the AFLPA however they were extremely helpful like wow you would not believe. The AFLPA is an excellent organisation run by excellent people and if it weren't for them I don't think I would have ever got back on my feet.

Without naming names of course, from your time in the system; what is your estimate on the percentage of professional AFL players that are complete degenerate gamblers, junkies and/or alcoholics?
I can only speak from my experience and from what I saw and heard at the club in terms of gambling there wasn't a culture for it at Richmond no one ever really openly talked about it but I had heard that it was a big big problems at other clubs (Phones out during weight sessions and in the changerooms just constantly on it), in regards to Junkies I never heard any teammate ever talk about drugs, never saw a teammate take any drugs again there just wasn't a culture for it however I did hear stories from other clubs that I must admit shocked me about drugs usage so that was disappointing.

Are you still in contact with anyone from Richmond? How did you feel seeing some of your former teammates go on to win two flags?
A couple of the boys mainly Ivan Soldo (legend) but i see them here and there out and about sometimes. I felt sad that i wasn't apart of the victory but extremely happy and proud that they were able to win the flag. It also felt good to know that we were heading in the right direction and hopefully I played a teanie weanie part in it.

How do you find the culture in the footy system compared to the wider world? Ie. Is there particular attitudes or political views that are more/less common in the AFL world than outside it?
Footballers do not care about what race, age, religious or political views you have ultimately what they care about the most is about how much you can contribute to the bettermeant of the team and if you can do that and also not be a dickhead then even better. Loyalty to the team is pretty strong in AFL, compared to other sports in the world atleast

Did any of the senior players ignore you because they perceived you weren't worth their time?
Suprising not, you are there to make the team better, they want you to be better so that you then help the team be better which in turn makes them better.

Which gun player from another club to most richmond players talk about?
Nathan Fyfe

Did you observe anything/any behaviours that would contribute to a culture wherein a gay AFL player would not want to come out? What do those behaviours look like?
I vaguely remember us doing a survey on our views towards such a thing from what i can remember the results weren't the best which was a surprise. I think the AFL players themselves would/should have no problem with it but i do know some AFL players are religious which would make it a little bit trickier

How important are the fans to the players? Like do the players enjoy fan interaction and talking to them or is it seen as more of a chore to make sure people keep on showing up?
Fan interaction is important and i personally enjoyed it initially but it does wear you down overtime, we did a lot of community interaction throughout the year which was always rewardinf but i know some players got tired of it
Cheers thx for update plsd to see he’s doing better as I recall it was a bitter break up at the time kid Appeared pretty disillusioned with club and afl,,,, edit , just realized this was 3y ago

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assumed it was meant to be Junior in red for assaulting Daicos last season. Groupie_ gif?

"A VIRTUOSO effort from Northern Knights forward Reece McKenzie consigned the Eastern Ranges to their fourth loss in succession on Saturday at Preston City Oval.
McKenzie booted six first-quarter goals and finished with 10 for the match as his Knights claimed a 47-point win."

"The clean hands test result was one that did not surprise Kennedy, who has described McKenzie as the best contested mark he has seen in the TAC Cup in a decade. But a 13.2 result in the critical beep test was a surprise, even for McKenzie himself."

For a bit of context he kicked 15 goals the VERY next day playing school footy.

I still remember seeing Reece in a reserves game at PUNT Rd in a torrential storm, ground was covered in water and mud, he took at least 6 or 7 contested marks all single grab his hands were like a vice, me and my mate were fighting over who claimed him first as he had all the physical attributes and bloodline to be the next gun KPF of the league. Unfortunately like a lot of people he has mental illness and from memory FIGJAM's like Deledio making his life misery. Hopefully the kids in a good headspace and would hate to think he ends up like Bill Morris.
Letting Deledio go was the best thing our club ever did. I had high hopes for McKenzie when we drafted him, like I do with many of our picks I guess.

The real question is why would there be no external review at all? I fear that the insight into Clarkson at Hawthorn maybe consistent with other AFL clubs that are less publicised. If clubs are not riddled with bigotry, an external review would not be a problem. We must work towards diminishing racism towards Australia’s native culture and we seriously need to champion this external review
I understand your comment but wouldn't it be better to diminish racism altogether?

Yeah nah.Carlton more so than us.
I'm sorry you're way out of tune on all of this. Yarran played 119 games from 2009-15 with Carlton and no games for us in 2016 so this could suggest either Carlton did an impeccable job just to get him to 119 games and we did a poor job with him. Or was he too far gone by the time we got him? It still suggests we weren't able to help him with his issues, so could we've have done better is the question? I recall constantly posting in his 400 plus pages thread saying not to get him as he had a terrible history of issues as did many other posters. In the end he cost us a low draft pick and a heap of money for absolutely nothing. So the costs in doing reviews constantly can actually spare the club from these costly failures as well as improve a player irrespective of race or culture. I remember the cop out line by posters was that's Carlton's culture and we will sort him out, but we couldn't even get him on the park in the end. Now in 2016 Benny and Peggy conducted an external review and to my everlasting shame I was against it bc I thought it was just papering over the cracks. The outcome was 3 premierships in 4 seasons which without it we would probably still be talking about the 1980 premiership. I will never ever be against any reviews whether internal or external again simply bc they can help identify not only current problems, but potential problems and if they can help one player(person) then it becomes a building block to help others. Society has changed over generations with gender, gambling, drugs, racial awareness, social media etc etc and there are more and more complex issues developing each day in players lives which can affect them from being successful. So if you expect our club to sit there and do nothing and blame others then it's a recipe for disaster as that's exactly how we were for 3 decades. I want the RFC to be constantly reviewing everything now from ground zero to heaven as that then gives us a maximum chance of having our players in an environment where they have no distractions and can therefore perform at their maximum. The net effect is a better chance of winning a premiership.

all of this is on the assumption the club hasn't already done a review and/or is constantly in review...

Given the position we are now in as a club, and the history of Peggy and Brendan recognising the need for a review in the past, and openly conducting it, the fact they are not doing so now, suggests that our leaders don't believe it's needed.

And given the original request here was based more in line with treatment of indigenous players, I would easily suggest the successful nature of the KGI with indigenous kids is proof enough we are in the right space and moving in the right direction.

Programs like that are not successful if the foundational principals and ACTIONS are not following in the morals that hold the program up...

IMO a review, at this point in time is pandering to the public, and a waste of valuable time and resources

all of this is on the assumption the club hasn't already done a review and/or is constantly in review...

Given the position we are now in as a club, and the history of Peggy and Brendan recognising the need for a review in the past, and openly conducting it, the fact they are not doing so now, suggests that our leaders don't believe it's needed.

And given the original request here was based more in line with treatment of indigenous players, I would easily suggest the successful nature of the KGI with indigenous kids is proof enough we are in the right space and moving in the right direction.

Programs like that are not successful if the foundational principals and ACTIONS are not following in the morals that hold the program up...

IMO a review, at this point in time is pandering to the public, and a waste of valuable time and resources
Sydney Stack is a good reason why something like this needs constant reviewing. A wasted talent and possibly human being which cost the club money. effort, possible embarrassment and time. Yes the club tried a lot of things with him , but in the end they weren't successful.

Sydney Stack is a good reason why something like this needs constant reviewing. A wasted talent and possibly human being which cost the club money. effort, possible embarrassment and time. Yes the club tried a lot of things with him , but in the end they weren't successful.
Stack was signed for the 2022 year and virtually didn't play a game. His papers were pretty much stamped. So the club had made a list call on him (& Caddy) 2022 saw high draft pick RCD's career end. And low pick Martyn's, and Lambert's and Caddy's. Not a 100% success rate at all.
May as well chuck in Connors too.

What about McAsey retiring? High draft pick didn't work out. Drafting is lottery.

Stack was low risk. Didn't quite work out. The time in jail didn't cost us. Did we pay his legal fees?

The 100k COVD fine was on CCJ & Mrs Cotchin too. So all the drain on coaching salary cap is 1/3 on Cotch & Stack. 2021 was a shocker for RFC. 2023 we have Rutten back. So karma swings around in our favour. High draft pick for CJ too

drafting TT & JH is good as they are virtually guaranteed success bar injury. And no expectations on Green, Young etc.

Stack was signed for the 2022 year and virtually didn't play a game. His papers were pretty much stamped. So the club had made a list call on him (& Caddy) 2022 saw high draft pick RCD's career end. And low pick Martyn's, and Lambert's and Caddy's. Not a 100% success rate at all.
May as well chuck in Connors too.

What about McAsey retiring? High draft pick didn't work out. Drafting is lottery.

Stack was low risk. Didn't quite work out. The time in jail didn't cost us. Did we pay his legal fees?

The 100k COVD fine was on CCJ & Mrs Cotchin too. So all the drain on coaching salary cap is 1/3 on Cotch & Stack. 2021 was a shocker for RFC. 2023 we have Rutten back. So karma swings around in our favour.

drafting TT & JH is good as they are virtually guaranteed success bar injury. And no expectations on Green, Young etc.
Stack cost us not only in money, but more a list spot for 4 seasons. That could have been time, money and energy into another player as he really was a pest in the end. What you've said here is that there have been hiccups, but can we improve in minimising them is the question?

Stack cost us not only in money, but more a list spot for 4 seasons. That could have been time, money and energy into another player as he really was a pest in the end. What you've said here is that there have been hiccups, but can we improve in minimising them is the question?
All there for 4 years. I rate Stacks career >>RCD + Martyn. Stack a speculative SSP pick and Will Martyn's massive 3 games .

Didn't watch any VFL so didn't notice "pest" behaviour. Tictok?

No more drafting "troubled" kids.

Kids who didn't go to Xavier or PEGGS Haileybury

Last edited:

Supporters - Request an External Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back