Swans, Crows not top two: Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade our two games against GWS and GC to Richmond and Essendon and we'd be in the same position as we are now. Adelaide always play Port twice a season. Seriously, Adelaide's draw is being massively overstated. The Swans weren't even able to beat them at home. Get a clue Hawthorn fans, you're secretly worried and it shows.

Or trade your games for the teams we play twice. Geelong, Sydney, West Coast & Collingwood. With our draw, you probably wouldn't even make the 8.

Sydney went to the Hawks home in Tas and embarrassed them.

The swans are genuine, the Crows have had a charmed run.
And we went to the Swans home in Sydney and won the game..

I don't rate us as being as good as a few teams yet but we finished low last year for one thing..
The other is that all the Victorian clubs are set up to play each other twice to maximize attendances, blockbusters and $$$..

It's a bit hard to play the likes of GWS etc twice when you're too busy playing Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon etc twice.. And the AFL of course would rather have 2 Vic teams playing more often than a Vic vs Non Vic team.. Funny how the rigged draw stuff conveniently is only going one way at the moment.. Didn't hear these complaints when certain teams like Carlton were bottom and some Vic teams got two easy wins against them every year :rolleyes:

Maybe we need another investigation like when too many Non Vic teams were near the top of the ladder..

Only teams we have not beaten this year: Pies, Hawks, North.. Look at the results of the other clubs and you will be surprised.. Hawks have not beaten a few up the top..

TRIPLE premiership coach Mick Malthouse has declared Sydney and Adelaide do not deserve to occupy the top two places on the ladder.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-crows-not-top-two-malthouse-20120812-242s8.html#ixzz23NsFtXJA

Malthouse said he considered Hawthorn to be ''a far better side'' than Sydney, despite the Swans having convincingly beaten the Hawks in Launceston in round five. He also said Adelaide, drawn to play Gold Coast and GWS twice as well as local rival Port Adelaide, was benefiting significantly from having finished fourth from bottom last season.
''I'm not saying they're a dreadful side, but … I don't think they're the best side, and they can finish on top of the ladder,'' he said.
Former Richmond spearhead Matthew Richardson backed Malthouse's view, declaring the fixture had ''helped one team more than any other, and that's Adelaide''.

Let's be honest here, nearly everyone bar Sydney & Adelaide people would agree. The AFL have turned this into a theatre rigging the draw to hell and back. No longer a sport. I know the draw can never be even, but the AFL have went out of their way to make it as uneven as possible. Would be a farce if Sydney or Adelaide won the flag this year.

If we're that far off the top 4 then you will hand us a footballing lesson in the finals no matter where the game is played. But let me guess if you lose it will be because of the draw and where the game is played. Only necro can have his cake and eat it too.

If we win the flag, we will have earned it. Highly doubt we can pull it off though.

But you shouldn't even be near the Grand Final in the first place mate. You aren't a top 4 team.

Name 4 sides better than the Crows over the first 19 rounds. I'll give you Hawthorn and Collingwood as starters, and remind you that they beat Sydney at the SCG and whipped Geelong.

Name 4 sides better than the Crows over the first 19 rounds. I'll give you Hawthorn and Collingwood as starters, and remind you that they beat Sydney at the SCG and whipped Geelong.

Collingwood
Hawthorn
Geelong
Sydney

Geelongs draw is the stuff nightmares are made of. They are a better team than Adelaide. Easily.

Mate, the whole footy world knows that Sydney and Adelaide aren't top 4 calibre, let alone top 2. The draw has assured that two "average" sides will have the big advantage of two home finals. Adelaide and Sydney are the worst top 4 sides I have seen for a long, long time.
Sydney looked like a top 2 side to me against Collingwood.

Crows had an easy draw You can deny that. Of the 5 teams that Crows play twice this year, GWS, Suns, Port Freo and Geelong. 1 team wasnt in the AFL last season, 3 didnt make the top 8 and one won the flag last year.

Swans deserve to be in the top 4, They have had some good wins at Home but also had some impressive away wins out side of NSW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows had an easy draw You can deny that. Of the 5 teams that Crows play twice this year, GWS, Suns, Port Freo and Geelong. 1 team wasnt in the AFL last season, 3 didnt make the top 8 and one won the flag last year.

Being a Freo fan you should know that Derbys become virtually qualifying final standard , no matter how either clubs travelling.

Mate, the whole footy world knows that Sydney and Adelaide aren't top 4 calibre, let alone top 2. The draw has assured that two "average" sides will have the big advantage of two home finals. Adelaide and Sydney are the worst top 4 sides I have seen for a long, long time.

Sounds like someone is pissed that Hawthorn had to sell games interstate to survive, and now it is biting them on the ass by possibly costing them a top 2 spot ..........

Adelaide is to 2012 what the WCE was to 2011, a team that was under-performing and has shot up the ladder then next year due to a soft draw. Are they top 2, no. Are they top 4. possibly. Top 8. Easily (which I didn't predict at the start of the year)

Sydney are always under-estimated and deserve to be where they are.

As for saying if either wins the premiership that they would be underserving, well the 2008 Bradbury premiership says HI.

You realise this intimates you're incapable of independent thought? A popular view doesn't necessarily indicate the correct view. The earth was supposedly flat once.

This popular viewpoint is correct. The draw is a farce and the AFL have went out of their way to ensure an "even" competition to make more $$.

If the draw flatters a side, they'll get found out when it comes to the crunch.

So I'm not overly concerned by it. If Collingwood or Hawthorn succumb to Adelaide or Sydney during the finals, then they're not the better sides.

This popular viewpoint is correct. The draw is a farce and the AFL have went out of their way to ensure an "even" competition to make more $$.
I don't believe the popular viewpoint is correct. Your record is what it says it is. Sydney ran Collingwood to the wire and has had good wins away against West Coast, Geelong and Hawthorn trickled in with some expected wins. You don't win 15 of 19 games as an average or lucky side irrespective of the draw.

Your argument's starting point is flimsy at best. No teams control what the other team is going to do pre-match or their schedule. They can contribute to the final result and to date, Sydney and Adelaide have done so. Whether or not that corrects in the final few rounds and in September is yet to be determined.

Being a footy journo is so easy these days.

On Monday make sure you say the teams in the top 8 who won are premiership chances and the ones that lost who are also in the top 8 have no chance. Repeat rinse and serve every monday morning.

The masses eat it up like a fatty eats up 5 Big macs.

So much for the "experts"

Or trade your games for the teams we play twice. Geelong, Sydney, West Coast & Collingwood. With our draw, you probably wouldn't even make the 8.
Hahaha, are you kidding NB? Not make the 8? They haven't played us yet, by the way.

Malthouse has always shown little or no respect to the Swans.
I wouldn't pay much attention to what he has to say these days because he also bagged Buckley & his game style earlier in the year yet they are sitting in equal first possie.

As a Swans supporter, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks but lets face it, what more do WE have to do differently to Hawthorn or Collingwood to "deserve to occupy the top two places on the ladder"!
A little like Demitriou in 2005, he has taken a punt that we might fall away from here on in which case he will be hailed as a brilliant 'expert' should we fall away, or will not be made accountable for his comments should we win the p'ship or eeven play off.

So now according to his comments, unless we play off in the GF, he will be right!!

Expert commentator my ar.e!

This thread makes sense when you remember many Hawthorn supporters are convinced they have been the best side of the last five years, and have just been unlucky. The better team on paper > actual results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans, Crows not top two: Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back