Swans, Crows not top two: Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

The draw gave us a shot at Finals.

From there may the best team win.

I'd say one finals win would be a pass mark for the year - anything else a bonus

The draw gave us a shot at Finals.

From there may the best team win.

I'd say one finals win would be a pass mark for the year - anything else a bonus

If your mob finish 2nd overall, then anything less than a Grand Final appearance would be considered a fail mark (imo). You can't finish 2nd and be happy with only 1 finals win... surely not.

If your mob finish 2nd overall, then anything less than a Grand Final appearance would be considered a fail mark (imo). You can't finish 2nd and be happy with only 1 finals win... surely not.
That would be fair to say but I think if you said to the AFC, in Sando's first year you'll be playing finals they'd see it as a good pass. If you told them they were finishing in the top 4 they'd see it as a bonus and consider themselves ahead of targets. If you told them they'd finish top two then they'd barely believe it. Adelaide have one of the youngest lists in the comp and compared to most of the teams in the top 8 they haven't got a lot of finals experience. So they are a good chance to go deep into finals but realisticly to go past a Prelim is optimistic and I'm not sure one finals win would be seen as a fail.

Not blaming Adelaide because they didn't give themselves this favourable draw. They're probably about the 5th or 6th best side in the comp, but the draw lifts them up to 1st which is wrong.

Out of the current top 8 sides, they only play one other side - Geelong - twice.

Out of the 5 wins against current top 8 sides, only the Swans were in any kind of form at the time, although that was by only 5 points, and the Swans did get beaten by the Tigers by 5 goals the next week. Cats were only just going in round 7 and avenged the loss a couple of weeks ago. North barely got over Gold Coast the week before. West Coast had been belted at home by the Swans. And the Essendon win was almost an embarrassing loss.

They're record against the top 4 teams is 1-2.

You are not quite right there. We played Geelong (last years premiers) twice. Whether they were up and about at the time has nothing to do with anything - no-one can predict exactly how a side is going to go throughout the year. It must be based on last year. We played Freo 2 times and they are definitely in the 8 now. We thrashed Carlton when they were on a high and everyone was thinking they were premiership material. When we first played Geelong we thrashed them.

Who would have known that Carlton would get done by the Suns the week after thrashing Essendon by heaps? How come Essendon, having only lost one game at the time (by 1 point) and sitting on top got rolled by Melbourne sitting in 17th spot!!!
Who would have predicted Carlton to beat Collingwood twice. Who would have thought that Hawthorn would be thrashed by Richmond?
But most importantly no-one thought that Adelaide would be in the 8 at all this year - no matter what draw they had - and that is the essence of this whole thread.
It must be based on last year. We played Freo 2 times and they are definitely in the 8 now.

Adelaide have played 9 games against sides in 8 - won 5 (Fremantle x 2, West Coast, Sydney, Geelong) lost 4 (Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong and North Melbourne) for what its worth.

Finals will dictate whether they deserve it, personally I think so. After all, Collingwood are currently in 5 position with a very average % of 115. If they make top 4, would they be less deserving? Possibly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The crows are a very good chance of finishing 1st, the four 'gimme' wins coming from GWS and GC being a massive leg-up, especially when they also get another 2 from the double of Port who just happened to be a rabble.

Adelaide may finish 1st, when with a less advantageous fixture they may be a 5th-6th type of team.

North may finish 6th or 7th, when with a less advantageous fixture they may be a 9th-10th type of team.

That is why the focus is on Adelaide.
Ask Carlton and Richmond (and Port) about the "gimme games" - it never happened that way for them. If you say 4 gimme games for Adealide then you are also saying at least 2 ( and sometimes 3 gimme games for all the other teams apart from GWS and GC

I was thinking that we never got home fixtures against Hawthorn and Sydney this year. If we did instead of home fixtures against GWS and GC we probably would of won 1 won of them, which means that one of them (hawth/sydney) would of lost 1 more game like us.

Which meant that in all probabilities we'd still of finnished second.

I would then say hawthorn and sydney were very lucky having not travelled to footy park in the h@a, yet we had to travel to thier home games..so we got the ruff end of the draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans, Crows not top two: Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back