Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
RizzoTheRat said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/swans-want-action-to-ensure-fair-trades/2006/10/12/1160246263397.html

SWANS recruiting manager Stuart Maxfield has called on the AFL to appoint mediators with binding powers to help player trades, and he believes clubs and players could eventually become so frustrated by the current system they will challenge the AFL's trade rules in court.

Restriction of trade is the potential legal wedge. Something that Thorton could use with Carlton.
It's just so wrong. Everyone should be able to go to Sydney if they want to, just like Maxfield.

Beckers said:
The entire week is a shambles really and the entire footy world say it every year.

I am with you Beckers the whole sha-bang is hastily conglomerated sham.....players whoring themselves, managers whoring themselves, clubs whoring themselves, clubs whoring their players if it wasn't in a professional environment then you would say they are nothing better than street whores and curb crawlers....

Quite simple for them really. Remove all trade offers, wait for the PSD. No problems, and nothing for the hawks. Dont know why the whinging to be honest... or perhaps this is a premptive thing so that when they do get him in the PSD, the talkers wont be able to compalain (as much).

I reckon there's a simple solution to let the market determine the value of players that doesn't require mediators (as there is for the father/son).

IMO, if by the end of trade week, any player not contracted for round 1 the following year should be able to nominate for the national draft while still under contract. If the player is selected, the pick with which they were picked, then goes to the club that player is contracted to. If the same club picks the player then clearly they'd have to forfeit their pick for the player. If a different club wants him, then the market will decide the price and the club losing a player will be compensated based on market value.

I'd still have a trade period to allow clubs to facilitate trades, but at the expiry of that period if a player isn't traded, hasn't got a contract extension, let the market decide.

RizzoTheRat said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/swans-want-action-to-ensure-fair-trades/2006/10/12/1160246263397.html

SWANS recruiting manager Stuart Maxfield has called on the AFL to appoint mediators with binding powers to help player trades, and he believes clubs and players could eventually become so frustrated by the current system they will challenge the AFL's trade rules in court.

Restriction of trade is the potential legal wedge. Something that Thorton could use with Carlton.

This is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. Hawthorn have every right to make its demands, just as Sydney has every right to reject those demands.

How can you mediate a situation that has no right or wrong answer?

Naturally most Hawthorn supporters think their people are doing the right thing, while most Sydney supporters back their people.

Whether Hawthorns demands are reasonable or not is irrelevent, those demands have been made, and Sydney can iether accept or reject them. If they are that desperate to get spida there is a simple solution. If they think he is not worth a first round pick, then don't do the deal.

All this emotion and frustration is silly. Both clubs have their reasons for acting as they have, how can a mediator settle this? All he/she can do is bring both parties together in discussion, to mandate an outcome is silly in the extreme.

Also is Spida worth that much to Sydney? Obviously not - I can't beleive one player of spida's vintage would be the difference between winning and losing premierships. Had spida played in this year's grand final, I don't think it would have made much difference to the result. watching the game as a neutral observer, at the end of the day, West Coast wanted it more Sydney had their chances, but West Coast had the answers.

West Coast were the better team and Sydney were lucky the be so close.

JeffDunne said:
I reckon there's a simple solution to let the market determine the value of players that doesn't require mediators (as there is for the father/son).

IMO, if by the end of trade week, any player not contracted for round 1 the following year should be able to nominate for the national draft while still under contract. If the player is selected, the pick with which they were picked, then goes to the club that player is contracted to. If the same club picks the player then clearly they'd have to forfeit their pick for the player. If a different club wants him, then the market will decide the price and the club losing a player will be compensated based on market value.

I'd still have a trade period to allow clubs to facilitate trades, but at the expiry of that period if a player isn't traded, hasn't got a contract extension, let the market decide.

Seems a good solution- if a trade cant be made then have to try their luck in the draft. Still where would the money issue fit in? Would you still have a PSD?

sackrash said:
Quite simple for them really. Remove all trade offers, wait for the PSD. No problems, and nothing for the hawks. Dont know why the whinging to be honest... or perhaps this is a premptive thing so that when they do get him in the PSD, the talkers wont be able to compalain (as much).

Spot-on - why all the fuss. I think we all have withdrawal sympton post grand final and this is what we can talk about.

We have our reasons for acting as we have and our people have to be accountable for their actions.

If the two teams can't settle on a trade, and Sydney pick him up, good luck to them. from my point of view, whiloe it would be great to get a pick for him, if we don't it won't be a trajedy.

I also don't think we would delibrately act in a way just to set an example. This would be silly and our people must have their reasons. They have been appointed to undertake a certain role and I don't think one failed trade would cast an adverse reflection on them.

Good one Sydney.

Complaing about Draft Week. Yeah we all know its not greatly organised, but considering the benefits you lot get, Id shut the **** up.

Does anyone know the order of picks for the Preseason Draft? I have had a look around and couldnt find it. I am thinking of this more because of the Thornton issue....
One other option the Swans could do to secure Everit, was trade something for a higher PSD selection, but i am not sure if this is an option?

RizzoTheRat said:

I have the proof

72052389pj9.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RizzoTheRat said:

Won't be long before the courts are introduced for restraint of trade. The current system sucks.

I suppose the big question is why Hawthorn are blocking this move?

Is it about trade value and putting the club first, or is it intended to hurt the individual? The official line is always the former, but I reckon the acrimonious split has caused this hard line.

A second round pick for a 32 year old seems fair, given he probably only has 2 years until retirement. Hawks are simply making life difficult for the individual, and its the Swans that are hit with collateral damage.

Hawthorn should take the example of Brisbane & Bulldogs, a mature and fair trade that benefits both player and club.

The clubs hold too much power in situations like this... shouldn't be this hard to change employers once you get to a certain age. Won't be long until this is successfully challenged in court then the AFL will have to change the rules.

Pelchen is just simply trying to get the best deal he can for the Hawks

This little peice in the Age might just confirm he may very well get what he has wanted all along.

With neither Sydney nor Hawthorn prepared to be the first to blink, the poker game being played over Everitt may be settled by unexpected means today. Last night, Sydney's ability to meet the terms Everitt would need to nominate to get past the 14 clubs that precede Sydney in the pre-season draft was in doubt, which strengthened the prospect of a deal being struck before today's trade deadline.

Hawthorn has refused to accept Sydney's offer of a second-round pick for the 32-year-old Everitt, selection 33, and is after an exchange of its fourth-round pick for the Swans' third to release him.

Pick 34 really wont do much for us, we are probably only going to use three draft selections anyway.

1st and 2nd round and f/s Josh Kennedy. We aren't after another heap of youngsters, we need to add an experienced player or get a decent draft pick to grab an experienced player from another club.

If we can't get that we may as well let Spider go in the PSD draft.

I suspect that if the psd didnt exist most of this rubbish would be over in 2 days. If Spida was in the draft what pick would he be. Be honest. What pick would your club use to get him if he was freely available and willing to go anywhere, lets say for $300,000 for 2 years.

sackrash said:
Does anyone know the order of picks for the Preseason Draft? I have had a look around and couldnt find it. I am thinking of this more because of the Thornton issue....
One other option the Swans could do to secure Everit, was trade something for a higher PSD selection, but i am not sure if this is an option?
Pretty sure it's the same order as the national draft, but how many picks each club has (if any) depends on its Total Player Payments situation.

Why should Everitt and the Swans dictate to the Hawks what the Hawks should get for Everitt ?:thumbsdown:

The cat was out of the bag yesterday!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20572044%255E20322,00.html

"There is every likelihood that Peter will be in the pre-season draft unfortunately," Pelchen said on SEN.
He indicated the club would not be dictated to by a player and his preferred club.
A former Port Adelaide staffer, Pelchen cited the Nick Stevens deal in 2003, when Stevens went into the pre-season draft instead of going to Collingwood, as an example of a club standing its ground.
"We are working in the best interests of the club and we don't see this deal in isolation," Pelchen said.
"We see how it's going to effect our trading in future years and whenever a player might say they want to leave our club and identify the club they want to be traded to, we don't believe a lower-trade value can be offered in the terms of the way we deal."
Pelchen and Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson both were at Port Adelaide when Stevens was snapped up by Carlton and he said the same example would be made of Everitt.
"(We) made a conscious decision to put him through into the pre-season draft to set an example, both to opposition clubs and to the rest of the players on our list," Pelchen said. "At the end of the day we are running a business, a professional business.
"It should be highlighted that 12 months later Josh Carr wanted to go Freo (and we were) able to get rounds one, two and three for Josh Carr.
"What I'm saying is it sets a benchmark and what we are trying to do here with Peter Everitt is to make sure in future the Hawthorn Football Club is not disadvantaged by any player wanting to leave our club."
Pelchen, meanwhile, confirmed Carlton had not returned calls over backman Bret Thornton, making a deal today seem highly unlikely.

Interesting Pelchen has already said it is to make an example, and spite against Everitt

He thinks that it will keep all Hawks players in line

What he does not realise as can be seen from Carltons reaction last 2 lines is..... no one will be bothered or interested in dealing or trading with stubborn ********s..... that would prefer to get nothing than a second round pick for a 32 year old player determined to go (announced months ago)

Mr Pelchen.... what is the judge in court going to say.... "let me get this straight you Dawks restrained Mr Everitts income and livelihood and preferred to get nothing than what the highest market bid was?
..... Compensation set at $XXXXXXX to Everit and $ YYYYYYYY to Sydney
Go and sit in the corner with a dunce hat"....

....hey didn't Port get rid of you for similar stupidity!!!!?????

likka said:
I suppose the big question is why Hawthorn are blocking this move?

Is it about trade value and putting the club first, or is it intended to hurt the individual? The official line is always the former, but I reckon the acrimonious split has caused this hard line.

A second round pick for a 32 year old seems fair, given he probably only has 2 years until retirement. Hawks are simply making life difficult for the individual, and its the Swans that are hit with collateral damage.

Hawthorn should take the example of Brisbane & Bulldogs, a mature and fair trade that benefits both player and club.

The clubs hold too much power in situations like this... shouldn't be this hard to change employers once you get to a certain age. Won't be long until this is successfully challenged in court then the AFL will have to change the rules.
Spot on!Couldn't agree more!
Don't care if Spida comes to Sydney,or not,but for the Hawks to carry on right to the end like they are is childish & unprofessional.WHO'S IN CHARGE DOWN THERE?
:thumbsu:

Corpuscles said:
The cat was out of the bag yesterday!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20572044%255E20322,00.html

Interesting Pelchen has already said it is to make an example, and spite against Everitt

He thinks that it will keep all Hawks players in line

What he does not realise as can be seen from Carltons reaction last 2 lines is..... no one will be bothered or interested in dealing or trading with stubborn ********s..... that would prefer to get nothing than a second round pick for a 32 year old player determined to go (announced months ago)

Mr Pelchen.... what is the judge in court going to say.... "let me get this straight you Dawks restrained Mr Everitts income and livelihood and preferred to get nothing than what the highest market bid was?
..... Compensation set at $XXXXXXX to Everit and $ YYYYYYYY to Sydney
Go and sit in the corner with a dunce hat"....

....hey didn't Port get rid of you for similar stupidity!!!!?????

Damages to everitt?? He will still get paid next year for the contract he nominates for the PSD, it just might not be the club he wants.

Damages to sydney?? We didn't want to pay what the dawks that he is worth. Do I get damages from coke because i don't think a 600mL bottle should cost so much??

If Pelchen is so bad, why do people like Brian Waldron say he is the best in the business.

Oh thats right, we paid him to say that (not)!

Think in terms of basics: the Hawks have 30 minutes to get an extra R2 pick. If they let it go they still lose Spida and get nothing at all for him. That's a lot to lose in a good draft year just to play tough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans cry foul over Hawks trade tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back