Autopsy Swans lose to Dogs by plenty

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to say as we wouldn't beat Richmond or North today
That kinda feels deflective. Yeah we were poor, but the Bulldogs also made us look poor.

They are absolutely a good side that are hard to beat, but sometimes I think people can't look outside their own rose-tinted glasses and acknowledge that sometimes you can be beat because the opposition were great rather than us being poor.

Both can be the case, but in this scenario, the Bulldogs absolutely showed they are a better side than us currently than the Swans being poor.

Look I have supported the AFL as a corporation (my background) my whole life, I know Gil, I went to boarding school with his brother. I am so sorry, I am so sorry what these umpires are doing to you guys.
8 Years too late 🤭 but in all seriousness, assuming your post is not sarcasm, we have done ourselves no favours. We deserved to lose based on current form and I am hoping this can be the kick up at the arse the boys desperately need.

That kinda feels deflective. Yeah we were poor, but the Bulldogs also made us look poor.

They are absolutely a good side that are hard to beat, but sometimes I think people can't look outside their own rose-tinted glasses and acknowledge that sometimes you can be beat because the opposition were great rather than us being poor.

Both can be the case, but in this scenario, the Bulldogs absolutely showed they are a better side than us currently than the Swans being poor.

Yep true the Dogs were outstanding and smashed us not taking a thing away and didn't mean too.

They should have won by more we got some cheap frees helped.

But we didn't even compete , a lot
because they didn't allow it for sure.

But you can't play timid bruise free piss fart around footy against anyone

Until today we had been competitive every week even when losing , today though wowzers

Hard to stay optimistic , 39 didn't do that much damage if they are good enough, but they never looked even competitive today.

I guess you could excuse a bad performance and shit month, But right now hard not to buy into the doom

Margin was absolute folly i think we are done August is where you should be hitting your straps as a contender.

Margin was absolute folly i think we are done August is where you should be hitting your straps as a contender.

Going to be an embarrassing finish by the looks

I am still astounded our defensive structures are what they are….we hand uncontested possessions out Leah to easy and are simply too easy to move the ball against. Defensively the last 4 games we just allow easy possessions and are happy to guard space.

We very exceptionally poor today. We went down with a whimper. Bulldogs are obviously in very good form, but we let them do whatever they wanted all game long. There was never a momentum shift in our favour. That was really bad.

There's no sugarcoating this one, it was pathetic. But the problem is, the signs have been there for the last 6 weeks. I don't know whether it's teams have worked us out, or we have lost the hunger, but something hasn't been right, and it feels like the club hasn't tried to change anything, and this was the culmination. Unless something changes urgently in the club this week, it's going to be another be fail of the year, because come finals, you can't come out and do nothing for the first quarter and expect to win.

It's all on what we do next week! Another stinker, and it doesn't matter if we win our next 3 after that, we don't have the hunger to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:

Roberts prolific and one of our better users today (though a very low bar)
Corey Warner backed up with a solid showing. Not an easy game for an outside player to impact but he went in when called on and didn't look out of place.
McDonald didn't look out of place in an under siege pdefence, good to know it's an option in emergencies.

Not much else really.

Complete outlier today, embarrassing. Worst loss since the Geelong game last year. Blown out of the water in 95% of ground level contests today.

Our foot skills, defensive transition and pressure has been poor since the bye and today all the negatives came into one. Dogs were outstanding today, but heck me some of their goals off the back of no pressure and broken tackles. Really disappointing today, we are better than this.

Last edited:
Anyway what our great start did was mean the season isn't done, I know nothing we are seeing suggests much, but the talent is there , the opportunity is still there, clubs fall over themselves to look shit during this season.

Other sides bounced back from shittier patches than this , dogs looked crap at times , lions, cats, gws etc etc

We have to be going out there to turn it around. Other sides also pick form players

Out: Melican, Wicks, Mills, Adams, Hayward (managed)
In: Francis, Hanily, Rowbottom, Sheldrick, Cleary
Sub: Cleary

Be tempted to give Grundy a week off, no point running him into the ground. Ladhams could come in after his best VFL performance in a long time. I'd be tempted to give Amartey a break too, although his tackling was good today.

Absolutely ****ing woeful.

That is all that needs to be said.

And - Rowy. Please get better soon - if anyone wants to doubt the importance of him to our midfield balance, today was the perfect evidence. He isn't going to fix the utter foul it up from a lot of them, but at least he will play with heart and dig in the trenches. Most of our midfield just bent over today without a whimper. Utterly pathetic.

I hope we can reverse the trend, maybe last week took a lot out of the team in the humidity? i dont know but losing to 9th at home is pretty damning i think

flogged by 9th at home

Are we a dominant best side like Melbourne in 2021 or Geelong in 2022, or are we a hot-starting pretender like Port in 2014, Freo in 2015, and North in 2016? It's up to us to prove one way or the other...

If I wanted to be succinct, I'd summarise our issues as follows:

Swans players I trust to hit a target by foot - 0
Swans players I trust to stick a tackle - 0
Swans players I trust to take a contested mark - 0
Swans players I trust to win a 50/50 ball - 0

It's a general incompetence that I feel was embodied by that passage in the second when we had momentum. We were streaming forward and had numbers around the ball inside 50. It ended with Adams getting done for HTB, which was inevitable after each handball put the guy after them in more and more trouble. A promising play brought undone by a bunch of capable players simply not having the competence to manufacture a decent shot at goal in such prime positions.

Another occurrence that summed up where we are at: Bulldogs had a few incredibly poor kick-ins that led to fumbles and dropped marks close to goals. I've always believed that your pressure/intensity/focus can be measured by how efficiently you punish the opposition for their mistakes. That the Bulldogs, on each of these occasions, were able to just get back to their feet and get the disposals away and clear their defensive 50 anyway, suggests our pressure/intensity/focus was MIA.

Like I said, it's up to us...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Swans lose to Dogs by plenty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back