Autopsy Swans by 79 over North

Remove this Banner Ad

Amartey missed a few shots , but you honestly think Horse is considering even slightly dropping his leading goal kicker for a guy who hasn't played since 2022? and who even at his peak was hit and miss as a player
Fun fact: Joel Amartey has kicked 34 goals in 17 games in 2024 so far.

Sam Reid's best season goal-wise is 31 goals in 22 games back in 2012.

Would have liked him to have just drop punted it from there it wasn't the worst angle and could have swung it around with an arc
Yeah you're right a drop punt would have been better. "Interesting" was probably the better word. You rarely see anyone do that.

Last edited:
Yeah you're right a drop punt would have been better. "Interesting" was probably the better word. You really see anyone do that.
Yep i was right behind it and just thought on the siren it looked awkward trying to kick it around the corner also probably should have been called play on for running off his line, even tho he started to the left of his line he still ran too far right imo

I think today just proves the point that it was the right time to re introduce both Mills and Parker. Our next month is huge game after huge game. This gave them a taste.

The good thing is: we have our 23 from today who can all play finals footy. Add Cunningham and Heeney and Wicks and there’s 26, with Ladhams, Reid, Francis, Hamling, Sheldrick waiting in the wings if structure requires it or a key player goes down.

The negative thing is finals is still 7 weeks away and anything can happen in that time.

I've had about six players I've considered genuine winners for us this year, like really elite, game-changing players.

Papley was not one of them, even though he has clearly been such a player for us in previous years. Mostly because he was just having too many quiet games (though as Dean Cox acknowledged, he's also done a lot of unseen stuff this season.)

However when he is in the form he was in today, where his eyes are literally lighting up at the prospect of being able to roost a goal home from 50m, and he's marking overhead like he's got super-glue on his palms... we may just have another one, at the right time of the year.

I think today just proves the point that it was the right time to re introduce both Mills and Parker. Our next month is huge game after huge game. This gave them a taste.

The good thing is: we have our 23 from today who can all play finals footy. Add Cunningham and Heeney and Wicks and there’s 26, with Ladhams, Reid, Francis, Hamling, Sheldrick waiting in the wings if structure requires it or a key player goes down.

The negative thing is finals is still 7 weeks away and anything can happen in that time.
Yeah, you'd have to be soft to worry about re-introducing those 2 against North.

It was me. I'm soft.

Today’s results to Carlton and Essendon also means 3 wins in 6 games means we are guaranteed top spot. Achieve that, and then have a week off and go again.
Doesn't really matter about top spot its top 2 that matters, but the same parameters apply to guarantee top 2

But even as the goal umpire signalled for a major, the Swans’ midfielder was quick to tell his teammates to cease their celebrations and set up for a kick-in to the Roos. Replays showed that the 23-year-old’s kick had been touched off the boot but you can’t help but wonder how Warner might have responded if the score wasn’t set to be reviewed.

What an odd comment in the AFL match report. The umpire called a goal and Chad called touched before there was even a question of a review. Very strange to throw in a comment that's not only not true, but insinuates he would have tried to get away with something when 999 times out of 1000 the kicker claims that goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked to me like Adams was playing a lot across half forward. Butchered a gettable one but if he ends up with 2 goals instead of 1 and 13 disposals probably doesn't rate a mention. He's a dodgy kick but I like him as an option to roll through the middle.

I'm much more worried about Roberts' defence. Big weak link in our back 6 and just doesn't compete hard enough for the 50/50 ball.

It's irrelevant anyway, neither is getting dropped. Heeney in for Jmac.

Roberts needs to toughen up but he gets the ball and uses it well.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Parker looked revitalised. Of course coming in when the Roos had conceded their effort helped.

It’s highly likely Mills will be pretty flat against Brisbane and then improve from there. He basically has only just made it back with enough time to get senior level for finals. Grateful for that as his leadership is an important cog and seemingly more physical output.

So worst we can finish now after results so far is 5th by not winning another game

2 wins and we secure top

Very important win today as we started as we finished last week but really looked in control thereafter. First quarter our disposal was horrendous bordering diabolical but Papley was on from the start and created great infectious energy.

To relax during a game was very much appreciated

Fun fact: Joel Amartey has kicked 34 goals in 17 games in 2024 so far.

Sam Reid's best season goal-wise is 31 goals in 22 games back in 2012.
True, Amartey had 31 goals in the first 13 games but only 3 in the last 4 games.

Resorts to kicking around the corner from almost directly in front when he could go back and kick straight through. Earlier in the season he would have done the latter. Seems to have the yips.

Reid has also had the yips for most of his career. One of the most frustrating parts of his game after dragging down big marks and then missing simple set shots.
Reid for me would come in for McLean if required. Reid's rucking in 2022 was a real surprise he would be a better fit playing chop out ruck rather than trying to be a the primary forward target. Amartey isn't bad as an occasional ruck option but if McLean went out I would prefer Reid to take that role.

The swans really needed that % booster
Indeed. Things were looking dicey there for a moment. But then Bombers & Blues did what they usually do and all is right with the world.

Falling Down Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Swans by 79 over North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back