Not open for further replies.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Well it is that time of the year again everyone! Finals time! But for us it is a lot different compared to the last 4 years where we have finished top 4. Finishing 6th on the ladder means that there is no second chance, it is either win or go home, do or die or whatever saying floats your boat. Point is, that in order get our 6th flag we have to win 4 games from 6th position. Any other year before 2017 you'd say no way, Jose. But as we know with the bye thrown into the mix and our form heading into the finals and the weird absurdity of this year and sport - anything is truly possible. We just have to dare to dream.

Having said that all of the above I have written, the slight possibility of doing the near on impossible and the remarkable turn around we've had this year will matter for absolutely **** all if we don't win today @ the SCG (our wonderful home ground) against the Bombers. What is needed? Whatever the hell we've done after that hawf game. That is, be hard at the ball, be aggressive (physically and tactically), take the game on - i.e. go through the corridor when the opportunity presents itself. Either go fast and direct I50 to get the one-on-ones or go slow and find the spot up. Win the contested ball, get on the outside to our pacey and skilled players that can do the former. Play a solid team defence. Don't be buddy centric. Play the game on its merits. Look, we all know damn well that a non-team performance in every finals game is just not good enough to win. All the players selected have to perform at their best including our rucks for 4 quarters. After our year though I am going to back the boys in to do exactly that.

Oh and TLDR; you say?

GO BLOODY GET EM' YOU SWANNIES!!!

Last edited:
So do everything insanely well and we'll win? Cool. Been doing that for the most part for the last 10-14 weeks (give or take a game here & there)...

I'm actually very nervous about this. Out of all the finalists the Dons best can easily bury us. They can tear us up. I'm concerned.

Bit we will win.

Swannies by 37.

C'monnn you mighty bloooddss!!!

So do everything insanely well and we'll win? Cool. Been doing that for the most part for the last 10-14 weeks (give or take a game here & there)
That's what is required to win a finals game(s) and eventually a flag. Individual brilliance alone isn't enough. Everyone needs to play their role and do it well or we can kiss any chance we had goodbye pretty quickly.

And I think we are all very nervous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing giving me some hope is that they are more likely to roll over and die if we kick away on the scoreboard than we are. We're premiership contenders playing on our home deck with a full strength side coming off 14 out of 16 wins.. it's just highly unlikely that if Essendon got in front we'd give up without fighting right to the last minute. We wouldn't throw away a season like that.

In other words if Essendon are to beat us, which could happen, I reckon the only way they'll do it is by playing an absolute blinder and performing at that level across all four quarters. It's a big ask.

We are a class above the Bombers. Insanely proud of the boys for getting this far given our start, however if we lose to this mob we will have underachieved.

Not at all nervous, I think we will account for them comfortably.

Swans by 41. Hannebery back to his gut running best after a well earnt rest.
Lots of goals from turnovers we force by putting them under pressure and limiting their space.
102-61 Buddy 4, Reid 3 and Papley 2.

Game day morning.

Fire up the machine and have three short blacks and a few bits of toast between nervous drags on the durries. Coffee jitters but awareness high. Have resisted the urge to splash some Jamesons in the coffees.

Clothes laid out on the bed. Prep is good - cabs booked, fresh Fishermans Friend pack to deal with probable hoarse voice. Head for Clarendon St around 1.00, have made mental note to tell cabbie to slowly drift past the old Sth grandstand.

Long lunch at the Emerald Hill with fellow tragic (the two of us have been going to Bloods games since the 70s). Keep that screen fired up Mr Barman.

Despite the nerves, we should destroy this mob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back