Sydney International Fifa Fan Fest has been a resounding flop

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, anyone that suggests that football is going to over-run Aussie Rules and be the undisputed #1 sport in Australia in the near future need a head check.

That's precisely what Fos and his chorus of soccerinas believe.

I mean, they really, truly, honestly believe it.

And deep down, we know you and figwit honestly believe it as well.

.. and the fans are going wild in Torronto too

d0a64825-8aa1-4b8f-9552-41bb248c8a46.jpg

Only one AFL game last night Carlton v Brisbane

Total Ratings for Capital cities: 611,000 (10 didn't even bother to broadcast into Sydney)

Channel 7's comedy: How I met your mother, outrated the AFL game was screened at the same time as the AFL match and had more total viewers.

Only the Melbourne and Adelaide ratings were stronger for the AFL match of the Day than How I met your mother!

And, remember, this is for AFL being shown in prime time. Imagine the ratings if it were live at Midnight or 430 a.m. - would anyone wake up?

Why would an AFL game played in Australia be played at midnight or 4.30am? You seem to misunderstand reality buddy, what sort of dream world do you live in?

The point is FIFA or the EPL couldn't give a stuff about their Australian fans and will not give two seconds thought to playing their games in Australian prime-time - and that will never change.

91K only in Brisbane in prime time on a thursday night? Pathetic!!!!

Calrton vs Brisbane out-rated by Netherlands vs Japan (621,000)
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/06/week-25-3.html

That's a serious kick in the teeth for all of the idiots on here who think Soccer has no following in Australia. Very few ex-pat Dutch and Japanese downunder.

Comparing a H and A game to an event that happens every 4 years.

You idiot.

Netherlands vs Brazil 530,000 viewers, only 60k off the Hawks-Bulldogs blockbuster in primetime. This is getting embarrassing for the AFL.

Both were pretty good games, but in all honestly, much of the Haw v WB game made the the first half of the Brazil v Holland game look rather pedestrian.

The game only really got going once Holland jagged a goal.

And that pretty much sums up soccer.

Both were pretty good games, but in all honestly, much of the Haw v WB game made the the first half of the Brazil v Holland game look rather pedestrian.

The game only really got going once Holland jagged a goal.

And that pretty much sums up soccer.

You idiot that first half was one of the best games of football ever. Even my friend that watched both games with me, who is an avid AFL follower, said the World Cup game was far better.

BTW Suck it up mate, another season without glory for the Bulldogs. I reckon in 10 years time, you'll be rattling the tins again like the late 80's early 90's :)

Comparing a H and A game to an event that happens every 4 years.

You idiot.

Same stupid argument from all of the AFL fanboys, viewers are only tuning in because "its a special event" or "in the interests of national pride". Doesn't matter that it is a once in 4 year event - nearly as many viewers tuned in to watch Ned - Brazil as Hawks-Bulldogs, and the game was telecast at midnight. But then we already knew in 2002 that Aussies as a whole prefer top level football over top level Aussie Rules.

Netherlands vs Brazil 530,000 viewers, only 60k off the Hawks-Bulldogs blockbuster in primetime. This is getting embarrassing for the AFL.

Why would that be embarrassing for the AFL? I am one of the many who watched both. I watched the AFL game first and then switched over to watch the last half of the soccer.

Suarez is a classic example of what there is to loath about soccer.

He doesn't have cojones to clear the ball off the line with his head (the ball was heading straight for his forehead), uses his hands to stop the goal being scored at the 120th min, a few missed penalties later and Uruguay are through, and eveyrone's patting themselves on the back.

Loathsome and contemptible are the only words that come to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a low point in our history. It all turned around in the game we won by one point at the end of season 96 I think it was (I was there) and there wasn't any score for the last quarter. Thank goodness that never eventuated - look at where the Hawks are now (the strongest Vic club financially) and the Dees (on life support from the AFL).

Suarez is a classic example of what there is to loath about soccer.

He doesn't have cojones to clear the ball off the line with his head (the ball was heading straight for his forehead), uses his hands to stop the goal being scored at the 120th min, a few missed penalties later and Uruguay are through, and eveyrone's patting themselves on the back.

Loathsome and contemptible are the only words that come to mind.

Eddie Betts is a classic example of AFL footballers who don't have cojones. At the Carlton - Brisbane game in the third quarter on the Docklands side in Carlton's attacking 50 Betts picked up a ball that clearly bounced before him and what did he do? Just stand there and try to convince the ump that he marked the ball - pathetic. I was in the AFL members reserve and I even heard a few Carlton fans yell out "play on you cheat!!!". Pathetic.

Eddie Betts is a classic example of AFL footballers who don't have cojones. At the Carlton - Brisbane game in the third quarter on the Docklands side in Carlton's attacking 50 Betts picked up a ball that clearly bounced before him and what did he do? Just stand there and try to convince the ump that he marked the ball - pathetic. I was in the AFL members reserve and I even heard a few Carlton fans yell out "play on you cheat!!!". Pathetic.

Sums it up really. Even the fans of the most low-life, cheating, tanking, criminal team in the AFL have more integrity than your typical Soccer-loving scum, who see diving and cheating as 'part of the game'.

Sums it up really. Even the fans of the most low-life, cheating, tanking, criminal team in the AFL have more integrity than your typical Soccer-loving scum, who see diving and cheating as 'part of the game'.

No, football fans don't see cheating as part of the game. It happens in every sport unfortunately. 98% of soccer players do the right thing - it's the 2% that do the wrong thing idiots like you harp on about and try to claim they represent all soccer players. Same as AFL footballers - 98% of them do the right thing but if heaven forbid someone on here says that the 2% that do the wrong thing represent the integrity of all players/fans AFL fanboys like you are up in arms. There ain't no more integrity then football, that 's for sure. Of course, all of the AFL fanboys will beg to differ.

No, football fans don't see cheating as part of the game. It happens in every sport unfortunately. 98% of soccer players do the right thing - it's the 2% that do the wrong thing idiots like you harp on about and try to claim they represent all soccer players. Same as AFL footballers - 98% of them do the right thing but if heaven forbid someone on here says that the 2% that do the wrong thing represent the integrity of all players/fans AFL fanboys like you are up in arms. There ain't no more integrity then football, that 's for sure. Of course, all of the AFL fanboys will beg to differ.

A quick google search confirms you're wrong. A large amount of Soccer fans, especially in Europe, seem to see it as part of the game. Of course it's a different story in Australia, where diving in any sport (apart from diving) is frowned upon.

A quick google search confirms you're wrong. A large amount of Soccer fans, especially in Europe, seem to see it as part of the game. Of course it's a different story in Australia, where diving in any sport (apart from diving) is frowned upon.

Sure mate - we believe you. After all, someone who is an anti-soccer bigot couldn't possibly be biased, could they?

Sure mate - we believe you. After all, someone who is an anti-soccer bigot couldn't possibly be biased, could they?
What's it got to do with belief? Are you saying that doing a Google search for how ingrained diving in soccer is on your own may be beyond your limited cognitive faculties? Can't say I'm surprised.

timing of the games and the fact people have to work is a major reason why people arnt going to this in australia.

ps- wheres the australian football international fan fest:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney International Fifa Fan Fest has been a resounding flop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back