Sydney - Qatar Airlines Sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

I see it the same as clubs having pokies...It's legal, so why not?
If you want to change it, then look at changing the laws/rules that govern such arrangements, not the specific deal(s). Having Qatar sponsor someone else instead because they don't have the pride game wouldn't really help anyone after all...You'd really just be shuffling the deckchairs not changing anything.

Yes, the is a dissonance with holding the pride game while having such a sponsorship, just as there is clubs with pokies supporting anti-gambling initiatives (as my club does), but if anything, the discussion that raises is probably a good thing for the 'cause'.

I have an Australian passport, does that mean emphatically support everything the Australian government does?

St.Kilda are about as relevant to modern day football as the pyramids are btw.
sydney aren't sponsored by an individual living in qatar. they are sponsored by a business owned by the state.
given your inability to engage in meaningful thought, your second sentence is understandable. completely irrelevant and infantile, but understandable in context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Qatar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

There are either going to be countries in the world where freedom of speech, womens rights, freedom of religion and human rights are upheld or countries where it isn't allowed. The gulf between the two is going to widen.

As in most Middle East countries it is not upheld in Qatar despite the window dressing of them "allowing" other religions and "allowing" women to drive. Do they allow conversion for example of a muslim to a hindu? or a muslim to a Buddhist? or a muslim to a Christian? the answer is no. Do they allow a free press?

Anyone who travels on this airline is indirectly helping people who despise women, and despise people who believe in freedom.

Anyone who lives in this country is indirectly supporting the indefinite detention of children, the outsourcing of our refugee camps to third world countries and if you tried to report on that, or terrorism, you would find out we don't have a free press either. Astonishing hypocrisy.

And if our government decides you are a terrorist (for reasons it does not have to disclose) they can lock you up for a month without a hearing and if you talk about it you can be put in jail. We have indigenous Australians living in some of the worse conditions in the world. We have no place whatsoever to go lecturing other countries about "human rights".

SRP board and all that but still, couldn't help myself.

Ok, well not quite the semi-intelligent discussion I had hoped for. Was looking to have a good discussion about how the AFL social agenda may begin to affect how we select sponsors and link in with businesses. Sydney supporters became defensive thinking it was an attack on them which it was clearly not. If it was the Saints, the same argument applies.

I still think that this may have some legs next Pride Game and it will be interesting to see whether Qatar is listed on the sponsor board during the press outings. Hopefully it is a non-issue but we will see.

Happy to close the thread if Mods want.

StKilda can have the Pride game with someone else if there is a massive issue.

It is just a sponsorship that's all and it helps the airline be noticed in Australia more.

Do I approve of what happens in Qatar, not really but do I really care, no.

I'm going straight to hell.

I had an XR6 as a teen (Englishmen came to Oz and exterminated millions of natives), got a BMW after (German car - Hitler/Jews), had a Honda with a petrol engine (environmental issue), but made up for that and now own a Hybrid (cancels out emissions from previous few cars). I generally travel with Qatar Airways (condones homosexuality) whenever I travel to Lebanon, I eat KFC (poor chickens), and love my bacon (sorry Muslims), I also smoke (sorry anyone in a public space), have given Judd my vote during previous elections (sorry Australian election peeps), I've own a Nike/Adidas (child labour in Asia), barrack for Collingwood (sorry dentists) and work at a bank (sorry everyone).

Do I bypass purgatory and go straight to hell or.....?

I had an XR6 as a teen (Englishmen came to Oz and exterminated millions of natives), got a BMW after (German car - Hitler/Jews), had a Honda with a petrol engine (environmental issue), but made up for that and now own a Hybrid (cancels out emissions from previous few cars). I generally travel with Qatar Airways (condones homosexuality) whenever I travel to Lebanon, I eat KFC (poor chickens), and love my bacon (sorry Muslims), I also smoke (sorry anyone in a public space), have given Judd my vote during previous elections (sorry Australian election peeps), I've own a Nike/Adidas (child labour in Asia), barrack for Collingwood (sorry dentists) and work at a bank (sorry everyone).

I am OK with everything until you got here. Shame on you.

Donkey vote? I'm good with everything but the Hybrid. FFS, you're not even trying.

I am OK with everything until you got here. Shame on you.

Give me a break. We get knocked for 6 by everyone yet we're the most compliant and scrutinised sector. Try telling your insurance company that you had a small scratch on your car prior to that massive prang, they'll void your policy and leave you for dead! We don't waive a credit card annual fee, the customer will sue the bank and there'll be a royal commission!

Donkey vote? I'm good with everything but the Hybrid. FFS, you're not even trying.

Think about it, it's either Shorten, Turnbull or Donkey. What's the difference?

1000km per tank. Absolutely loving it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, well not quite the semi-intelligent discussion I had hoped for. Was looking to have a good discussion about how the AFL social agenda may begin to affect how we select sponsors and link in with businesses. Sydney supporters became defensive thinking it was an attack on them which it was clearly not. If it was the Saints, the same argument applies.

I still think that this may have some legs next Pride Game and it will be interesting to see whether Qatar is listed on the sponsor board during the press outings. Hopefully it is a non-issue but we will see.

The pride game is at Etihad stadium, though. They didn't change the signage of the stadium for that.

I'm still not entirely clear what the exact issue is.

Does Qatari Air require it's sponsored teams to endorse the Qatari state's view of morality? On evidence (the fact they sponsored the club at all knowing they'd just played in a pride game, their existing partnership with Barca), the answer to that is no.

Is it because Qatar Air makes its money unethically, making their sponsorship dollars dirty? They just fly people around.

Is it because the airline is owned by the state, who derives a profit from the airline? Presumably the Qatari state is a shareholder in a whole range of companies. If the Qataris hold shares in, say, Citibank, does that make our deal with Citi problematic? What level of ownership is too much?

Is it because this is seen as promoting Qatar as a tourist destination? I'm unclear.

Would a deal with Singapore Airlines or Malaysia Air be subject to the same scrutiny? Homosexuality is illegal in both those countries.

Would a deal with Singapore Airlines or Malaysia Air be subject to the same scrutiny? Homosexuality is illegal in both those countries.
Those two countries are not 'viewed' as Muslim/Arab countries by the bananas, so no, it's fine.

It's just that we shouldn't associate with Arabs and Muslims because they're bad.

For a number of reasons that would be quite amusing to witness - but if I were a betting man I would almost bet the ranch that no Qatar Air plane would be permitted to wear any gay/lgbt paint job. It would be illegal under Qatari law. And I can visualize the, uh, warm reception it would get as it taxied up to the gate at Hamad International, Doha...

What would happen to Eddie McGuire if, on Melbourne radio, he voiced a position on LGBT issues that was aligned with the mainstream position in Qatar / UAE and which is (presumably) shared amongst the owners and executives of those sponsors?

"The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept."
Lieutenant General David Lindsay Morrison AO

Those two countries are not 'viewed' as Muslim/Arab countries by the bananas, so no, it's fine.

It's just that we shouldn't associate with Arabs and Muslims because they're bad.

The pride game is at Etihad stadium, though. They didn't change the signage of the stadium for that.

I'm still not entirely clear what the exact issue is.

Does Qatari Air require it's sponsored teams to endorse the Qatari state's view of morality? On evidence (the fact they sponsored the club at all knowing they'd just played in a pride game, their existing partnership with Barca), the answer to that is no.

Is it because Qatar Air makes its money unethically, making their sponsorship dollars dirty? They just fly people around.

Is it because the airline is owned by the state, who derives a profit from the airline? Presumably the Qatari state is a shareholder in a whole range of companies. If the Qataris hold shares in, say, Citibank, does that make our deal with Citi problematic? What level of ownership is too much?

Is it because this is seen as promoting Qatar as a tourist destination? I'm unclear.

Qatar is state owned so you would expect that there is some input. Hopefully the airline is completely seperate but the fact is the state has their laws and does own the company so it is a worthy question in my view. As I said before, the Swans and even AFL do not control the Docklands Stadium name so there is no issue there. Sydney rubber stamped this after the Pride Game which is now a part of their social identity so any potential business relationship should be assessed with their brand in mind. I personally would do the deal but it doesn't directly affect me. Doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a bit of thought.

Regarding Singapore and Malaysia, and probably more so Garuda, I would say the same applies.

Interestingly, just found this article which is related. It talks about workers rights as well as homosexual laws as a concern. As I said, happy for people not to be bothered, but if you have any understanding of brand management, this type of connection is always coming up. That is my background which is probably why it peaked my attention.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...for-a-boycott-of-qatar-airways-300230724.html

Qatar is state owned so you would expect that there is some input. Hopefully the airline is completely seperate but the fact is the state has their laws and does own the company so it is a worthy question in my view. As I said before, the Swans and even AFL do not control the Docklands Stadium name so there is no issue there. Sydney rubber stamped this after the Pride Game which is now a part of their social identity so any potential business relationship should be assessed with their brand in mind. I personally would do the deal but it doesn't directly affect me. Doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a bit of thought.

Regarding Singapore and Malaysia, and probably more so Garuda, I would say the same applies.

Interestingly, just found this article which is related. It talks about workers rights as well as homosexual laws as a concern. As I said, happy for people not to be bothered, but if you have any understanding of brand management, this type of connection is always coming up. That is my background which is probably why it peaked my attention.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...for-a-boycott-of-qatar-airways-300230724.html

It's a fair question. I reckon the gulf states can get rooted, personally. I'm just engaging in the intellectual gymnastics most other people in this thread are to score points for/against their football team of choice. Unfortunately, I don't think any club or person can be ethically/intellectually consistent or coherent with this, such is the ****ed nature of global capitalism.

This thread

There is zero argument against refusing a sponsorship- intelligent position. Morality simply doesn't enter into it.

Yes many swans supporters are defensive probably because of myopic thinking of people like eddie and then there's the afl corruption on multiple levels toward the swans unless of course it doesn't sound alarm bells that buddy's contract talks were kept secret specifically because there was an expectation that an avenue would be created to deny a legitimate contract. That is disturbing IMO. Very. But not to Mexicans it appears.

"You can't have every player" as an example and the abuse by MF that preceded it. I for one have had a gut full of the biased ignorant viewpoints (not yours) and am happy to call a spade what it is.

Yes, the is a dissonance with holding the pride game while having such a sponsorship, just as there is clubs with pokies supporting anti-gambling initiatives (as my club does), but if anything, the discussion that raises is probably a good thing for the 'cause'.
It's the responsible gambling foundation that quite a few clubs work with, not anti-gambling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney - Qatar Airlines Sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back